Have football expectations changed?

James

Today, we've got blanket football coverage on our TV's around the globe, computer games that appear to get closer and closer to the real thing, we've been exposed to foreign imports, both players and managers, and a few select teams can afford to spend millions of pounds at a whim.

So asking, pretty broadly, have the expectations of football fans changed over the years? Are these expectations realistic? Have clubs responded to these expectations? What have been the main driving forces of changing expectations, if any?

I think it depends on the circumstances of each individual club. Just look at Newcastle for example in the space of six years we've gone from expecting to push on and possibly challenge for the title to expecting to stay up with the vague possibility of a top half finish. This has all happened while the expectation of the likes of Chelsea and less significantly Villa have increased ten fold due to significant financial injections.

Every fan around the world has a set of expectations for their club depending on the circumstances surrounding it. As those circumstances change so do expectations. All fans have unrealistic hopes and dreams for their club but that’s exactly what they are: dreams.

People always have and always will have expectation of their club whether it's from staying up to winning the title. Depending on the circumstances surrounding their club these circumstances will change. However have football expectations changed generally? It really is too vague a question to answer, there's just so many positions you could look at it from.

I just posted this in the NUFC future thread but it's probably relevant to the question you asked James.

To a football fan success is a relative thing.

If, as Gareth Southgate predicts in the article above, the English game faces a "Serie A style collapse" would the true fans who attend the matches be that bothered about it. I don't think so. Most would rather be high up a decent league than at the bottom of the best league in the world.

The standard of player we watch in the English game nowadays is far higher than 10 years ago, which in turn was much higher than 10 years before that. Do we enjoy it more ? Probably not. We prefer to see winning football rather than world class football.

If the collapse did happen and the mercenaries flee our shores, those who will be most upset will be the Premier League themselves - who presently have the world's best football product, the club's owners - most of whom are Johnny come lately's - and maybe a few "fashion fans" who have latched on to the product as we signed up all the world's best players.

OK we may no longer get 3 English clubs in the Champion's League semis but would many real fans be that bothered ?

teams get booed when going top of the league.

aye expectations have changed........reflects the society in which  it is played. short term,reactionary and overhyped.

Aye all very true.  And this "we want everything now" attitude isn't restricted to the younger generation either.  You hear plenty of people go on about how they've loyally supported the team for decades, most of the time when we've been utter shit, but now that we've been average for a few years it's the end of the world.

And we still have people claiming we should be spending tens of millions during this transfer window, while the economic climate means the likes of West Ham and Portsmouth are having to sell to survive and even Chelsea are having to sell before they buy.

Some people need a reality check.

Intentional, I'm trying to encourage some varied and interesting responses.

E = f (S) t-3 + (H, C)

You my good sir are mistaken. That is not the way to properly answer the question asked. It's

E = f (S) t-3 1/2 + (H, C)

One thing I'd say is I don't get the idea about we should be privileged to be able to watch Ronaldo, Tevez or Ballack etc etc.

I want Newcastle to win every game and all other clubs to have a team composed entirely of shit players - then I'd be happy.

Intentional, I'm trying to encourage some varied and interesting responses.

E = f (S) t-3 + (H, C)

You my good sir are mistaken. That is not the way to properly answer the question asked. It's

E = f (S) t-3 1/2 + (H, C)

You're just being silly now :razz: