Luque: 3 starts - 3 goals

Guest Knightrider

From my Spanish Friend who used to play for Santander:

'I told you he was an outstanding player…………He scored from 8 yards in only his second season in England……….Unbelievable……..you guys just need to be a bit more patient……….it normally takes 12 seasons to adjust our game to the premiership………..you did not have that patience with Marcelino, don’t make the same mistake twice………… '

12 seasons?  blueconfused.gif do you mean 1-2 seasons?

I'm really sick of the way people still slag him off, he scored ffs. He's playing up front on his own, a position which isn't natural for him and he hardly had any support all game, i mean what the hell do you want him to do. What is the point in him closing down like a headless chicken tiring himself out for no reason. I thought he had a very good game considering.

Whoever said Mickey Owen does nothing for the team apart from score, that's bullshit. His holdup play is good, and he is always looking for opportunities and space.

Luque I thought was woeful last night apart from the goal. He put no effort in to win the ball back, and when he did get it, the majority of the time he lost it quite easily.

Owen's build up play is crap, not much better than luque's in all honesty. but you do have a point about his movement. luque can be quite static, and whatever chances he gets often, though not always, come to him from the work of others. owen on the other hand has world-class movement, stretches defences, and creates openings and direction simply by being in the right place and making the right runs. people say owen scores easy goals, but they are made easy by his movement and positioning. in fact, he creates the openings and opportunities for others to play him in, if he wasn't in the team, others would simply be passing or crossing to thin air.

Luque's general build up play is really bad, but i don't see many disputing that, and it is not for his work rate that people want him in the side. In general our play has been good in plenty of matches this season, at least for the opening hour, before we run out of ideas. we've been lacking someone to put away chances and be a goal threat and luque for all his faults can do that job. In the lillestrom match for instance, he had a pretty awful game, showing bad control, little strength, poor passing and stagnant movement. but in a game where we looked like never scoring, he showed a touch of sheer class in scoring the goal he did, a goal that is probably beyond the ability of most our players. while his build up play is probably too bad for a regular starting role, and his end product probably not good enough to compensate for that, he should at least be on the bench. he is someone who can come on for the last half hour when we are playing well but not putting the ball in the back of the net - a game like charlton for example. and who knows, if he is given a starting role, gets his sharpness and match fitness back, perhaps we'll see an improvement in his all round game.

Guest Imperio

Deserves his run in the team, he has the moment of magic that a lot of our players dont have, a little bit extra to their game.

I thought he did the best with what he was given last night.

'I told you he was an outstanding player…………He scored from 8 yards in only his second season in England……….Unbelievable……..you guys just need to be a bit more patient……….it normally takes 12 seasons to adjust our game to the premiership………..you did not have that patience with Marcelino, don’t make the same mistake twice………… '

Guest SeattleToon

Personally, I'd rest him on Saturday (two full games in 48 is pretty tough on the body for someone who isn't fully match fit) and start him again on Tuesday against Watford. Tomorrow I'd start Siberski & Rossi up front and Tuesday I'd start Sibierski & Luque up front.

Definately, Sibierski and Rossi tomorrow, Luque a cert against Watford.  Like to see more of Rossi, before he has to go back.  We need him, so use him.

I'm really sick of the way people still slag him off, he scored ffs. He's playing up front on his own, a position which isn't natural for him and he hardly had any support all game, i mean what the hell do you want him to do. What is the point in him closing down like a headless chicken tiring himself out for no reason. I thought he had a very good game considering.

Exactly, did the job he was there for.

Apparently though, unless you have ran around loads, flinging yourself into tackles whether you've got a chance of winning the ball or not, played the ball sideways and backwards and wear the number 17 shirt then you've had a shit game and aren't worth your place.

As much as I think he did a good job for the role he was given and the way he was playing I would have liked to see him chase a few more things down instead of walking around the pitch half the time. I don't expect Parker type harrasment but given the fact the ball wasn't in their half all that much it would have been nice to see him chase a couple of balls down.

Credit where its due though, he did have some nice touches and in the first half looked to have a little more strength than I thought he had.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Just compare what the lazy Spanish twat does when not in possession and what the virtual pensioner Shearer used to do.

:lol:

How is he going to find his form if he gets dropped straight after scoring a winner in the previous game? 

exactly my thoughts.

How is he going to find his form if he gets dropped straight after scoring a winner in the previous game?

He isn't.

He isn't what?

He obviously has to do more on a daily basis in training to prove to the manager he's worthy of a run.

Happy with Rossi's performance....were you? (Ok the long balls didn't help, but that's something Luque also had to put up with)

i think he was on the bench probably due to fitness reasons, like solano and emre. thought he did well when he came on though.