Are our fans the most uninventive lyrically in the league?

David Icke - Son of God

Serious question here. The last time I can remember us making up a vaguely original, funny chant was the Habib Beye/Happy Days mash up and that very rarely gets a decent outing.

I was hoping that the singing section may have brought together some like minded individuals who'd have put their heads together and came out with something a little bit off the wall but it's the same out tired "Chant a players name in time to a popular tune until people get sick", Geordie Bootboys, a very fast and very wrong rendition of Blaydon Races, Stand up if you love/hate Newcastle/Sunderland and Toon Toon....Feel free to correct me if i'm missing any.

Am I the only person who thinks that our songbook needs a bit of an updating?

We have a pretty shit songbook but there are far far worse than us. We have a few decent songs but there are too many people who only sing the generic ones like 'Toon Toon' and 'We are the Geordies.' Annoying as fuck really.

Guest north shields lad

I hate it when clubs steal another clubs songs and change the lyrics e.g. When the Mags (Saints) go marching in.

The worst though has to be the Man U fans with their song to the tune of The Blaydon Races.

i noticed they were singing some song tonite to the tune the scousers sing to there torres song. Who probably nicked it of someone first, it was johhny cash last time. That bugs me, now england stoke and god knows who else sing that ring of fire as well.

We are pretty shite like, in all honesty.

I've got mackem mates, and although some of the songs they tell me about are naff, at least they bother to look at a current song people might recognise, fit a players name to it, and sing it.  It might only last a couple of months, and it might connotate that Danny Collins and Nyron Nosworthy are the greatest set of players to walk this earth, but credit for being inventive.

I hate it when clubs steal another clubs songs and change the lyrics e.g. When the Mags (Saints) go marching in.

The worst though has to be the Man U fans with their song to the tune of The Blaydon Races.

i noticed they were singing some song tonite to the tune the scousers sing to there torres song. Who probably nicked it of someone first, it was johhny cash last time. That bugs me, now england stoke and god knows who else sing that ring of fire as well.

It was Man Utd's song before Liverpool, for O'Shea  of all people, going back years ago. Then the redshite made the Torres version. Like they stole our Arteta song for that 'best midfield in the world' crap and we in turn robbed the tune from somewhere else which probably wasn't the original either.

I wouldn't worry too much about who was first.

We Shall Not Be Moved is an old Everton song, over the decades the first part of the song has been dropped and it's now just a general chant that literally everyone sings. Pretty much any chant that catches on at a club will be taken by someone else.

It was Man Utd's song before Liverpool, for O'Shea  of all people, going back years ago. Then the redshite made the Torres version. Like they stole our Arteta song for that 'best midfield in the world' crap and we in turn robbed the tune from somewhere else which probably wasn't the original either.

We Shall Not Be Moved is an old Everton song, over the decades the first part of the song has been dropped and it's now just a general chant that literally everyone sings. Pretty much any chant that catches on at a club will be taken by someone else.

We do not sing "we shall not be moved", thank you very much. The worst chant in football.

Tbh there is not much to get the "normal" toon supporter to sing about never mind thrying to get them to sing new songs.....welll thats why i think it is.  If you go to more away game you will prob see the difference

Guest Jawesome

We do not sing "we shall not be moved", thank you very much. The worst chant in football.

That chant makes no fucking sense.

Guest Digger

1965 Cup Final tbh

While on the bus to Villa Park - Haroo! Haroo!

I heard my mate make this remark - Haroo! Haroo!

We made poor Chelsea weep and ill

It’s Liverpool 2 and Chelsea 0

and we’ll all get blind drunk when Liverpool win the Cup!

It became one of those sprawling Liverpool songs that no one ever actually sings all of like Liverbird... I've never actually heard it, but I have heard the 70s version being sang

So here’s to Lawrence, Byrne St John, - Haroo! Haroo!

Milne and Yeats and Stevenson - Haroo! Haroo!

Hunt and Thompson - what a man,

Lawler Smith and Callaghan,

and we’ll all get blind drunk when Liverpool win the Cup!

come liverpool lads and raise your glass - haroo, haroo

to Callaghan who made the pass - haroo, haroo

keegan had them in a trance

macfaul never stood a  chance

and we'll all get pissed

when liverpool win the cup!!bounce!!

That chant makes no fucking sense.

agree. it's as if they think they are striking miners holding out against the police.

You also nicked the, "He's got red hair but we don't care" song off us...we were singing "He's got no hair but we don't care" about 10 years earlier for Lee Clark. ;)