Non-allocated seating

James

I know people point to the removal of the terraces as a contributory factor to failing atmospheres in football grounds, but many cite the lack of standing as the reason, but having sat in stadiums of terracing and non-terracing, I would have to disagree, I think it is more a case of allocated seating.

Think of the benefits:

Those stadiums with empty seats like Boro and Blackburn would look a lot less silly, as people would huddle up, and make it all a lot more atmospheric.

More spontaneous and willing singing sections

Kids and so forth can hang around together nearer the front while adults can huddle around towards the back and stand without blocking anothers view

Realistically, we are never going to get terraces, but I think that making seats non-allocated would be a nifty compromise.

I hate non-allocated seating. Makes for chaos within the stadium with people milling all about, have to arrive an hour before the match so you won't get dumped in an obstructed view seat somewhere, and of course there will be stupid kids who save entire rows of seats up front for their "pals."

A properly allocated standing section would be a much better compromise.

Good idea tbh.  Or, the clubs themselves can just use their brains and dish out the tickets near each other.

Nah it needs to be a full-on non-allocation because:

People who want to chant etc will find each other and gather.

People can sit where they can see, if they want to, so that you don't have to worry about standing.

Kids and parents don't sit together, so Dad can swear if he wants.

I hate non-allocated seating. Makes for chaos within the stadium with people milling all about, have to arrive an hour before the match so you won't get dumped in an obstructed view seat somewhere, and of course there will be stupid kids who save entire rows of seats up front for their "pals."

Arriving early allows the atmosphere in the ground to bulid up, good stewarding can sort out the kids.

Guest Jawesome

Doubt it would work for the entire ground, but it would still be good to have non-allocated seating stands.

Imagine the west stand being non-allocated and all the blokes in suits rushing around putting things on seats to save them for their executive mates?

:lol:

Arriving early allows the atmosphere in the ground to bulid up, good stewarding can sort out the kids.

It also prevents you from getting properly drunk pre-match. I suppose I wouldn't mind if they were willing to sell alcohol at non-ridiculous prices within the stadium.

It also prevents you from getting properly drunk pre-match. I suppose I wouldn't mind if they were willing to sell alcohol at non-ridiculous prices within the stadium.

You still can't drink in view of the pitch so someone would probably take your seat while you are on the concourse.

You still can't drink in view of the pitch so someone would probably take your seat while you are on the concourse.

Good point. They'd have to allow you to drink in the stands as well then.

From past experience of non-allocated terraces, the drunks are the ones who care the least about good positions anyway, they'll just all huddle together in what would become the most atmospheric part of the ground.

Guest Stephen927

So lets say I have a cracking view of the action first half, then half time I go for a piss and come back and I find that the only seats left have shit views.

No thanks.

So lets say I have a cracking view of the action first half, then half time I go for a piss and come back and I find that the only seats left have shit views.

No thanks.

Doesn't happen on the terraces,  so don't see why it should happen anywhere else.

Guest The German

Standing sections and microphone are improving the atmosphere alot! Haven't yet understood why it is forbidden in England.  :frantic:

Guest Stephen927

Atmosphere comes with results, something to look forward to, someone in charge the fans respect, good football on the pitch.

People standing will have next to no effect at St James Park, it'll be the same as it is now. You're not suddenly more likely to sing if you're stood up.

Guest The German

Atmosphere comes with results, something to look forward to, someone in charge the fans respect, good football on the pitch.

People standing will have next to no effect at St James Park, it'll be the same as it is now. You're not suddenly more likely to sing if you're stood up.

Come one time to Germany and then compare again the atmosphere with England after you were in a standing section...

What happens when I crawl in pissed at ten past three?

How the fuck do I find my single seat amongst a block of 1000?

Unworkable for that reason alone.

Same as in the terraces, stewards shuffle everyone along just before kick-off, so latecomers can squeeze in on the end.

Guest Stephen927

Come one time to Germany and then compare again the atmosphere with England after you were in a standing section...

The Bundesliga is generally known for good atmospheres though isn't it?

I just don't believe standing makes that much of a difference, maybe I missed out on the terraces in the 80s etc.

The Bundesliga is generally known for good atmospheres though isn't it?

I just don't believe standing makes that much of a difference, maybe I missed out on the terraces in the 80s etc.

For me, as someone who stood in terraces as a kid, its not about the standing, there is a whole culture of positioning that will maximise the atmosphere in a way standing will not.Some lower league clubs don't have allocated seating in their seat stands, and the atmosphere is much better because of it.

Guest Jawesome

What happens when I crawl in pissed at ten past three?

How the fuck do I find my single seat amongst a block of 1000?

Unworkable for that reason alone.

That's why you would sit in one of the stands where there is allocated seating.

:snod:

Guest BooBoo

Rubbish idea. For the simple reason that I love my seat three seats aolong from the end of the row and its ideal for nipping out to the loo when the physio is tending to Oba's latest injury. Been in that seat since 95 and sitting in the middle of rows (at away games) is bloody awful.

Rubbish idea. For the simple reason that I love my seat three seats aolong from the end of the row and its ideal for nipping out to the loo when the physio is tending to Oba's latest injury. Been in that seat since 95 and sitting in the middle of rows (at away $games) is bloody awful.

Me and my Dad have sat at the end of a row for years now, its class. I always seem to be at the end of a row at away games aswell, that is also good