Jason Culina

Guest Dev

Well there aren't many decent central midfield players at the age of 27 available on a free transfer for next year, who we realistically have a chance of signing, but here's one. Current Socceroo incumbent DM Jason Culina. Currently plays for PSV but apparantly the wife wants to move back to an English speaking country, to the point that he's prepared to move back to the A-League if he can't get a deal in the EPL:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/a-league/gold-coast-lure-culina/2009/01/08/1231004199536.html

Realistically though if he moves back to the A-League he'll lose his place in the NT and miss the World Cup next year - if we have someone who could string a couple if coherent sentences together we should be able to get his attention.

No other EPL clubs are in for him yet. He's demanding small wages. He isn't going to win the premiership but he's far better than re-signing Nicky Butt. He still has a good engine, can tackle, and makes sensible passes. Why aren't we on the list of clubs trying to sign him? He's in and out of the PSV team, but he frankly shits on our current options. Is £10,000 a week for a central midfielder really too much for us these days?

Guest elbee909

At this point, if he's on a free and not over 30, I'm on board.

Someone always has to mention the board, don't they?

I was going to mention that re-signing Keegan for the CM role may be preferable to Butt next year, but did my best to leave all Board and Keegan references out.

Culina has been Australias best and most consistant player for the last 2 years. Can play all across the midfield and is an exceptional passer of the ball. Whether hes up to the pace of EPL im not sure. BUt he is a quality player. Guus Hiddinks favourite during his times at PSV and Australia

Culina has been Australias best and most consistant player for the last 2 years. Can play all across the midfield and is an exceptional passer of the ball. Whether hes up to the pace of EPL im not sure. BUt he is a quality player. Guus Hiddinks favourite during his times at PSV and Australia

Yep - my concern is that he really blossomed under Hiddink, but how would he go under the stewardship of a more mediocre manager?

For me, he's one of maybe three or four Australians worthy of playing for (my ideal) NUFC...

Yep - my concern is that he really blossomed under Hiddink, but how would he go under the stewardship of a more mediocre manager?

For me, he's one of maybe three or four Australians worthy of playing for (my ideal) NUFC...

Who are the others, out of interest?

Ye I seen that he was. I just can't beleive we haven't been in for him considering how light we are in that position. And a free transfer aswell, shocking managment!

I know I dont understand why Spurs seem to be such a great option for players they're lower than we are!

Its warmer down south, white heart lane lays next to sunny beach, you didnt know?

In all seriousness, the media-made image of a "club on the up" is a huge advantage for Spurs.

That's why a lot of players see them as an attractive destination when in reality there's very little between them and us other than location.

Culina to GC United - It's on foxsports. 

I wouldn't get him because of his whinging dad.  Will probably want to be Kinnear's assistant - I don't even want to imagine it....  ;D

p.s. anyone from Adelaide? Back from the Adelaide United game. Great to see football doing well in Adelaide.