The West Ham/Carlos Tevez saga: it's over.

oldtype

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11685_4764921,00.html

Basically, an arbitration tribunal ruled last year that West Ham had committed an additional violation by continuing to play Tevez without sorting out his ownership after their 5.5m fine. The FA is now launching an additional inquiry into this accusation.

Wish they'd just get the bloody thing over with and have them pay Sheff. Utd a gazillion pounds or whatever they want, since giving West Ham a points deduction this long after the event would be ridiculous.

Travesty that they were allowed to get away with it in the first place.

I disagree. I'd be very happy to see West Ham get a points deduction.

This! 15 points would be lovely.

The fine is much more likely. Normally more damaging aswell, especially given the current situation at West Ham, that said it will probably just mean someone mega rich coming in and buying them for much cheaper and happily paying the fine making it meaningless.

Guest sittingontheball

Basically they bottled the points decision at the time.

I'm not a Sheff Utd or Warnock fan, but I seriously doubt a northern club would have got away with a fine.

Guest diddimz

Make them give sheffield everything they have earnt from being in the premierleague since they initially got tevez.

Whats puzzled me is why they got in trouble about playing tevez when there were registration issues, but what about mascherano and the first half of the season he was there, surely that was illegal wasnt it?

In a way, it would be a shame for them to get a point reduction now because it would be tantamount to admitting that they should have gotten a point reduction at the time, which would have meant Sheffield staying up. In another way, a point reduction would be hilarious. So I'm kinda torn.

Points deduction would help us in our current situation, also you have to look at Sheff UTD, they had a whole season to gain enough points to stay up.  They failed.

They also had a final game against a fellow relegation side and failed to beat them at home.

They should be forced to transfer £50m of assets (ie. £50m worth of players) over to Sheff U. Understandably, not many would want to play for Sheffield so they'd be put up for sale and all of the proceeds going to Sheffield. Any players that do want to stay would strengthen the team and help them get promoted. West Ham would lose players but would still have a chance to play the kids and stay up. Sheffield wouldn't be promoted automatically but they'd have better players and/or money in the bank and have a much better chance of going up.

I should be in charge of the FA. :) 

They should be forced to transfer £50m of assets (ie. £50m worth of players) over to Sheff U. Understandably, not many would want to play for Sheffield so they'd be put up for sale and all of the proceeds going to Sheffield. Any players that do want to stay would strengthen the team and help them get promoted. West Ham would lose players but would still have a chance to play the kids and stay up. Sheffield wouldn't be promoted automatically but they'd have better players and/or money in the bank and have a much better chance of going up.

They'd have to give their whole first XI away, only decent players in the side that would fetch anything of note would be Noble, Ashton, Upson, Green and Bellamy.

They'd have to give their whole first XI away, only decent players in the side that would fetch anything of note would be Noble, Ashton, Upson, Green and Bellamy.

They'd also get decent money for Parker, Dyer, Bowyer, Faubert too. Even Carlton Cole would fetch a few bob. :)

The thing that gets me about this is that everybody knew Tevez was playing for West Ham, they didn't just sneak him into the team.

Surely the FA knew about the transfer long before the shit hit the fan, I think they are as guilty as West Ham.

Guest toonlass

Massive fine, which would send them into administration, which automatically brings in a points deduction a la Luton town or Rotherham would be my preferred handling of it.

The thing that gets me about this is that everybody knew Tevez was playing for West Ham, they didn't just sneak him into the team.

Surely the FA knew about the transfer long before the shit hit the fan, I think they are as guilty as West Ham.

From what I can gather, at the original hearings West Ham said that the Tevez deal was all correct by that point, that there was no ownership conflicts and he was properly registered which is why he was able to play for them for the rest of the season.

If it turns out that they were simply bullshitting the FA then they'll be in deep shit.  No money as it is, a number of assets already sold to cover losses & reduce the wage bill, a potential £30million+ fine owed to Sheff Utd and potential loss-of-earning court cases from Sheff Utd players.  Any fine or points deduction at this point could kill the club.

If the FA hadn't bottled it in the first place and had docked them 10 points none of this would have happened.  West Ham would have been relegated but would have probably bounced back pretty quickly.  Instead they may end up having to sell all their assets (not sure if they own their ground) to stay afloat at all.

Massive fine, which would send them into administration, which automatically brings in a points deduction a la Luton town or Rotherham would be my preferred handling of it.

If they're fined, who gets the money? The FA?  ???

Sheffield Utd went down because West Ham cheated. West Ham should be punished and Sheff U should be compensated. Fining them might punish West ham but I can't see how that helps Sheff U. 

Guest toonlass

Sheffield Utd went down because West Ham cheated. West Ham should be punished and Sheff U should be compensated. Fining them might punish West ham but I can't see how that helps Sheff U. 

Sheff United if the world was fair; but whoever the fines usually go to. They broke the rules and should have to face the consequences

The FA & PL are looking into it!!! WHAT A FUCKING JOKE!!! It was the FA's sloppy work & the PL "see no evil, here no evil as long as the PRODUCT is being improved" attitude that has got WHU in so much shite.

What are/have WHU got done for? How is Tevez and was Mascherano loan deals at Man Utd & Liverpool different to WHU?

Sheff United if the world was fair; but whoever the fines usually go to. They broke the rules and should have to face the consequences

I'm fairly sure any fines do go to the FA so, in that respect, I'd say a fine isn't the right punishment.

Agree with whoever said the FA should have acted with the offence at the time and relegated them at the time. Whatever happens from here on in shouldn't absolve the FA from criticism.

Guest toonlass

If it had been Sheffield United committing the crime & West Ham the injured party the outcome wouldn't have been the same. :nope:

Totally agree and if there had been any justice this would have been sorted at the end of that season, West Ham relegated and fined and a clear message sent out that this cannot happen again. However this is the FA and the Premier League and so it had limped on and on. Time to get it sorted, and finished.

Guest Slippery Sam

This was discussed on the radio yesterday. I wish I had paid more attention because the way it was described on the radio was that it was because W.Ham, after agreeing to abide by the decision of the last enquiry, then went to the european court in Lussane (sp) (or some such) in an attempt to having the ruling overturned (as I said, they had agreed to abide by any result).

So, the latest business is not going to be earth-shattering - as we had all hoped it would be.

As I said though, I was only half paying attention so the details above could be a wee bit warped. However, they did come to the conclusion that this latest investigation was not going to be too dramatic.

• 2 months later...

seems that it's been settled now

from the BBC:

West Ham and Sheffield United have reached an out-of-court settlement over the long-running Carlos Tevez saga.

Tevez helped West Ham achieve Premier League survival in 2006/2007 while the Blades were relegated.

The Blades argued Tevez was ineligible to play and an independent hearing ruled in favour of their claim for compensation from West Ham.

A compensation figure has not been disclosed but the BBC understands it is in the region of £15m in instalments.

seems that it's been settled now

from the BBC:

West Ham and Sheffield United have reached an out-of-court settlement over the long-running Carlos Tevez saga.

Tevez helped West Ham achieve Premier League survival in 2006/2007 while the Blades were relegated.

The Blades argued Tevez was ineligible to play and an independent hearing ruled in favour of their claim for compensation from West Ham.

A compensation figure has not been disclosed but the BBC understands it is in the region of £15m in instalments.

They should probably expect to double that figure since they're now likely to be sued by every player & staff member who was at Sheffield United at the time for loss of earnings.

Guest Heneage

FA should have just grown a set of balls, and docked points when it first came out he was playing illegally.

Leeds are now thinking of legal action against West Ham too:

Leeds chairman Ken Bates may sue West Ham over the Carlos Tevez affair, claiming a loss of earnings on three players from Elland Road that were sold to the Blades. Matthew Kilgallon, Rob Hulse and Ian Bennett had clauses in their contracts entitling Leeds to a windfall had the players stayed in the Premier League. (Daily Express)

Guest toonlass

Could this financially fuck West Ham? What with all the litigations that are being rumoured, and the Icelandic banks going under then they must be worried about what this could do to them.