Squash

Ember

So, I'm a frequent squash player, love the game, think it's brilliant with so many twists and turns. Physically and psychologically, it's a killer though.

I'm wondering, does anybody else here play squash?

If yes, frequently? Competitively? Etc.

Guest lankybellwipe

blackcurrant

Bwa!

Bwaha!

Bwahahahahahahahaha - ha ha

What Pilk did here, was to throw the scent off the actual theme of the thread, onto an entirely NEW theme, which appears to be soft drinks!  Ha ha ha! Young scamp!

Let me try it out please!

Er.......... Barley water!

Ha! See that! Fantastic!

I played it for a while about 6 months ago, its really enjoyable. Other than football, I think it's probably the only sport I would play without the intention of just getting fit. If that makes sense.

Played it from the age of 6 to 13 then from 15 to 16. Used to be pretty good before I quit the first time, represented the county, runner up and plate winner in county championships, that sort of thing. Reached the point where the people I was playing against were just playing only to win, got too competetive and I'd end up coming up against some right cheating cunts and the game just lost its fun.

Started to really miss it so started again when I was 15, played a season then got back into the county squad. Started playing against some of the old faces and remembered why I quit the first time round. Kids who would be pushed by their parents just too far for the sake of winning.

I really miss playing some times and once I've passed by driving test I'll defniitely be getting back down to Northern to give my mate a few friendlies, but I'm done with the competetive side of it. Call me unambitious but when a sport or hobby gets to the point where it aint fun any more there's no point playing.

Play two 3 hour games a week, which is fairly brutal. We don't always play competetively for the full duration mind, it normally transforms into "exhibition squash" at some point, which basically involves playing unorthodox "trick" shots at a much slower pace. It's good fun actually.

We've been playing for years now so we basically have our own little rules and traditions and whatnot to make it more fun (including 9-0 sting-arse; prison-rule-style "lets" - where basically lets are hardly ever called, even after shoulder charges and whatnot; and walking out onto the court to the champions league theme for competetive games :laugh:).

Play two 3 hour games a week, which is fairly brutal. We don't always play competetively for the full duration mind, it normally transforms into "exhibition squash" at some point, which basically involves playing unorthodox "trick" shots at a much slower pace. It's good fun actually.

We've been playing for years now so we basically have our own little rules and traditions and whatnot to make it more fun (including 9-0 sting-arse; prison-rule-style "lets" - where basically lets are hardly ever called, even after shoulder charges and whatnot; and walking out onto the court to the champions league theme for competetive games :laugh:).

I wanted so badly to mock you for this, but I think it's brilliant. Spelling leaves a bit to be desired though. :lol:

Give with one hand and all that...

Three hours..?  FM, I've been playing 40 minutes I'm about ready to start the slow paced exhibition stuff.  A three hour session is true iron man territory.

Well to be honest, we've been playing almost every week for nearly seven years. Amazingly I'm not even that fit; I can last the three hours at squash, but stick me on a running track and I'm fucked after 300 yards :lol:

COMPETITEVELY COMPTETIVELY COMPETITVELY

Three hours..?  FM, I've been playing 40 minutes I'm about ready to start the slow paced exhibition stuff.  A three hour session is true iron man territory.

Well to be honest, we've been playing almost every week for nearly seven years. Amazingly I'm not even that fit; I can last the three hours at squash, but stick me on a running track and I'm fucked after 300 yards :lol:

COMPETITEVELY COMPTETIVELY COMPETITVELY

Different kind of fitness. I know that sounds daft, but it's true.

Equally as such cyclists could be immense on the bike but struggle with running, because you're using different muscles at different loads and all sorts.

Thrilling stuff, I know.

That's why I wasn't collapsing out of breath last night but got pulls and strains all over the place. I'm not that unfit, just not used my leg muscles in that way (kicking, turning etc) for years.

Far too fast for me. Generally i really suck at racket sports, i'm decent at badminton, its slower and higher in the air so i don't have to bend down too much, but squash, its just a fast ball flying round me and the aim of the game is just to focus where its going, nevermind hitting a return which would only ever happen if it accidently went in my path.

:thup::clap: for those who can play the game. Nails.

• 1 year later...