Big Problem with Computer - Help needed asap!

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

So, my computer was running and starting up slowly, so on the advice of various people and internet sites, I did a disk defragmentation and also unticked some of the Startup processes (Start, Run, Msconfig etc.).

This worked fine, and my computer seemed to be working a bit better, but when I've switched it on this morning the desktop image has disappeared and more importantly all of my work emails and email accounts have dissappeared from my Outlook Express!!!!

Any idea why this might be, and how I can get them back?

the desktop image has disappeared

I had a virus which caused the desktop to be blank. Whenever I set an image to be the desktop background it would work until the next time I booted up where it would be blank again. If your PC does the same have a search for the problem on google as that's where I eventually found the solution.

Guest firetotheworks

So, my computer was running and starting up slowly, so on the advice of various people and internet sites, I did a disk defragmentation and also unticked some of the Startup processes (Start, Run, Msconfig etc.).

This worked fine, and my computer seemed to be working a bit better, but when I've switched it on this morning the desktop image has disappeared and more importantly all of my work emails and email accounts have dissappeared from my Outlook Express!!!!

Id go back through your MSCONFIG and retick everything and restart your PC, if you get your contacts and your desktop back then you know its one of the start up programs or services that youve unticked thats done it.

Guest firetotheworks

Id go back through your MSCONFIG and retick everything and restart your PC, if you get your contacts and your desktop back then you know its one of the start up programs or services that youve unticked thats done it.

Hmm, try a system restore to when it wasnt fucked. In case you dont know its: start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.

Failing that I'd give it a look on google and go through the endless amount of forum posts theres likely to be on it.

I've re-ticked everything. My contacts have come back in Outlook Express, but my desktop is still missing, and ALL of my email accounts and emails are still not back.

Any more help is greatly appreciated.

Do you have more than one profile on the computer?

Nope. I've searched for all the .dbx files on my computer, and all of my Email accounts (identities) have showed up, but i have no idea how to go about getting them back into Outlook Express. OE basically looks like it's started itself from scratch.

Any ODS files?