The Title Race Thread

themanupstairs

Do we have one? If so, please merge or delete or summat.

So who's in it? Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool. Are Villa in with a chance? Surely not? But will they finish in the top 4?

What happened this weekend? With Rafa's outburst, and the subsequent lame result against Stoke, Liverpool don't look too good at the moment, and Man U will overtake them if they win their 2 games in hand.

What's your take on Big Phil now that he's been in charge half a season? What about his Chelsea charges?

Man Utd to repeat for me

Guest Darth Toon

Man U clear favourites I would say - they've had a little dodgy spell but still kept grinding out 1-0 wins, and looked very impressive yesterday.

Liverpool visiting Old Trafford will be a massive game.

Fancy Villa to nick 4th.

Guest palnese

looking at chelseas lineup yesterday they played 4 playmakers from start. Deco, Ballck, Mikel and Lamps. None of them made runs into the box. All of them want the ball in their feet, with as little movement as possible. Of course you cant beat Man Utd with a tactic like that..

looking at chelseas lineup yesterday they played 4 playmakers from start. Deco, Ballck, Mikel and Lamps. None of them made runs into the box. All of them want the ball in their feet, with as little movement as possible. Of course you cant beat Man Utd with a tactic like that..

I don't know what's up with Deco. I have a feeling he's realized he's too old and lazy for this PL lark and is just going through the motions. Don't see him lasting past the summer at Chelsea (or England for that matter).

Guest ryunufc

Deco has been off-form but he keeps getting games, and after it went on for quite awhile it doesnt do good for him and Chelsea. I feel that eventually may cost them because Scolari is well known to be very loyal to his favorite players, while at the same time he is unable to make up his mind whether to play Drogba/ Anelka or both. There is still time though. If Deco can't step up, then Drogba has to. Just like in the previous years, I think the star player of the club will have large influence and it seems to me whilst Drogba, and Torres too, are still busy with their fitness and form, Ronaldo is quietly gaining some momentum to hit the peak he was on last year. He may not score as many but he has others to do the conversion this year.

Compared to the Mourinho era, Chelsea look in disarray. Don't know what their best XI is, something Mourinho infamously did know.

Could it be the Chelsea steam train of the past 5 or so years is starting to slow?

I think Mourinho actually broke a lot of Chelsea players, made them worse than what they were when he inherited them, and only made them good for his game plan.

Now he's no more, half their team will need replacing if they want to win the league again.

even under Mourinho chelsea seemed to lack outright 'creative' players, those who can open up space with an outrageous piece of skill or take on half a dozen players, ie like berbatov, giggs, ronaldo, nani, tevez and so on at man utd. wasnt much of a problem then as Mourinho had a clear system where he utilised different strengths and played a very direct game dependent on physical power, pace, long diagonal passes and good shooting from distance - lampard, ballack, kalou, drogba, malouda, essien, mikel, anelka etc all typify the style. but scolari through working in brazil and managing portugal for a number of years is used to different. deco and joe cole are perhaps the only ones that stand out, one has not adjusted enough to lead them to the title single handidly and the other isnt that good anyway.

Mourinho's system was his genius though, he got so much out of those players. There are a lot (e.g. J Cole, Lampard) that should really consider him saviour of their careers.

People are right to say Chelsea seem a bit 'confused' now, I think Scolari would have been better off just tweaking the Mourinho team very slightly, he has certainly created problems for himself with the amount of playmakers he tries to fit in. Find it a bit weird considering his Brazil teams were always thought of as too defensive.

Manu have to be favourites.

Liverpool are going to suffer with Gerrards mind elsewhere (look how Barton went to shit)..

Chelsea, they are still capable although after yesterday, something has to change pretty quick.

Arsenal were out of it about 3 weeks ago, do not see a way back for them although to a large extent the pressure if off them now and they could go on a run.

Villa, defo not contenders, however, could end up 2nd of 3rd I reckon.  Credit to them how they have get there shit together.  Take note Asley!!!!

Any other than Liverpool. Couldn't care less which of the three others win.

What I do care about though is 4th. Desperately want Villa to take that in place of Arsenal, Pool or Chelsea. With the Champs league money, the top 4 has become depressingly self-fulfilling and needs broke.

Signing Berbatov was the last piece in Man U's jigsaw. Now that he's bedded in, they'll keep on improving and should win the league quite comfortably. Rooney now has a licence to roam, and is looking the complete player.

When I saw the teams on Sunday, I thought Chelsea had a more than decent chance, but Drogba is now playing like he'd rather be somewhere else, and as others have said, the midfield lacks balance.

Rafa hasn't accepted the fact that his fringe players are not as good as the manu ones and a s a result he is still losing points because of this. Torres has to play every game if they are going to have a chance. Ngog and co aren't gonna win them fuck all.

Rafa hasn't accepted the fact that his fringe players are not as good as the manu ones and a s a result he is still losing points because of this. Torres has to play every game if they are going to have a chance. Ngog and co aren't gonna win them f*** all.

Agreed. Every year the media licks Liverpool's sphincter ring and we don't hear the end of it until round about this time of year when Man Utd hit real form and Gerard stops being able to do it all on his own.