Recommend me a PC

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

Right, I've come to the conclusion that my PC is buggered. It's about 6 years old, so I figured I'd probably just buy a new one.

Can anyone reccommend me a PC that is very good on the gaming side of things (good processors, good RAM etc.) whilst still being good at basic Office, Outlook Express, and Internet stuff?

Had a look at the Dell computers but to be honest, I'm a bit dense with it all.

Build your own. Best processor is the new Intel I7's but they are stupid money, you are better off going with a Intel quad core Q9xxx series or a Core2Duo such as a E8400. Graphics wise, best single card is the new Nvidia 295, though they are over £300. You can get a 4870 for ~£180, that will do everything, though it depends what games you are looking to play. Ram wise, its really cheap so get your self 4gb of 1066 Mhz. I'll price something up later on if you want.

A quad core intel would do you, maybe even a core2duo, though the quad will give you more power in the long run.

www.guru3d.com

Read some of their reviews on the newer cards (Nvidia 2xx series, Ati 48xx series) and see what you think.

Ok just put these together.

They are bit more than the dell, but the cpu is faster with double the cache. With a better graphics card as well.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3963/pcscandh9.png

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6433/pcocukxe9.png

Multi-core processors are so much more efficient and faster than pentium4s' its untrue. Definitely one of the best advances in computing for many years.

I'd go for a quad core hindu, they're getting cheaper all the time but even if you can't, a core2duo is good enough.

Like I said earlier, I'm dense as hell when it comes to what's good in a pc. What exactly does quad core mean? If its a quad core 2.6 Ghz, does that mean you're actually getting upwards of 10 Ghz, because that's what the gu in pc world was trying to fob me off with yesterday?

And the graphics card in the Dell Studio, is that a good one?

Generally, how good are dells?

Dells have some of the cheapest bits inside.

Well I just selected that to to keep the build price down. as I selected the Higher quad.  Same can be said for any PC cmponent though, one of my friends bought a £100 Samsung spin point, it died on him straight away, sent it back got a cheaper Maxtor no problem.s

Dells are ok, but their ram and motherboards are usually quite cheap, fat better getting a decent brand ram (corsair) and motherboard (Gigabyte, Asus Abit though abit are supposedly no longer in the UK ! )

• 5 months later...

get that changed straight away as hardly nothing is compatiable with 64bit still

Like what?

Surely all he needs to do is check that his printer works and he's sorted? The PC comes with just about everything and you can be pretty confident it will all be compatible.

Anyone think this is all right for the price?

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/428941/dell-inspiron-546-base-phenom-x4-97/

aye but

the whole system looks great apart from the graphics are OK/better than average, and it has vista 64 but  :idiot2:

get that changed straight away as hardly nothing is compatiable with 64bit still

I'm using Vista 64 and I must admit it's a bit of a pain, but if he's got 8 gb RAM in there he'll need a 64-bit Windows OS.

Anyone think this is all right for the price?

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/428941/dell-inspiron-546-base-phenom-x4-97/

aye but

the whole system looks great apart from the graphics are OK/better than average, and it has vista 64 but  :idiot2:

Been running V64b for over 2 years without a single problem and i reckon my computer is put under more stresses and strains than most, no problems. Vista had a bad rep at the start, like most new O/S but its steady and tough as old boots now.

Hiper PSU's are dodgy as fuk, stay away from them at all costs.

Take out your entire rig if they go, too many horror stories to buy one.

OCZ make canny ones.

agree had a Hiper Type R and it popped its clogs after a year.

replaced it with a coolermaster and never looked back.

in terms of PSU's you cant go wrong with enermax though

Bought it anyways. Herd the CPU might not be the best x4 on the market but for this price I can't really say no. Going to put linux on it as well. And its also inlucded in Windows 7 upgrade project. WOOT.

Full system or just base unit?

http://www.computerorbit.co.uk/itemcode=E-XM5EP-INT&sTitle=electronics&prodesc=8.~XM5~EXTREME~PLUS~SYSTEM~-~INTEL.html

£860.00 Ex VAT

£989.00 Inc VAT

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz

* 1000GB (1TB) SATA2 Hard Drive

* 4GB DDR2 800MHz Memory

* 512GB nVidia GeForce 9800GT Grpahic Card

* 22x Dual Layer DVD±R/RW Drive

* Microsoft Keyboard and Optical Mouse

* 22" Samsung TFT Monitor

* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

* McAfee Internet Sercurity

* Motherboard with Sound,LAN & USB 2.0 Ports

* Thermaltake M9 Black Case with 720W PSU

=========================================

OR

http://www.computerorbit.co.uk/itemcode=E-XM5EPBU-INT&sTitle=electronics&prodesc=8.~XM5~EXTREME~PLUS~BASE~UNIT~-~INTEL.html

£694.78 Ex VAT

£799.00 Inc VAT

8. XM5 EXTREME PLUS BASE UNIT - INTEL

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz

* 1000GB (1TB) SATA2 Hard Drive

* 4GB DDR2 800MHz Memory

* 512GB nVidia GeForce 9800GT Grpahic Card

* 22x Dual Layer DVD±R/RW Drive

* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

* McAfee Internet Sercurity

* Motherboard with Sound,LAN & USB 2.0 Ports

* Thermaltake M9 Black Case with 720W PSU

For that sort of money the Graphics card isn't anything particularly special. Not that it wouldn't handle most things you chucked at it.

It's worth checking the actual capabilities of the mobo as well.

P.s I'm listening to Billie Jean at the mo and Yoda seems to be in sync with the beat most of the time :lol:

For that sort of money the Graphics card isn't anything particularly special. Not that it wouldn't handle most things you chucked at it.

It's worth checking the actual capabilities of the mobo as well.

P.s I'm listening to Billie Jean at the mo and Yoda seems to be in sync with the beat most of the time :lol:

Aye, i use orbit for all my stuff, you would be best going in dtore and building your own system, but the likes of the 1792MB NVIDIA ASUS GTX 295 PCX GDDR3  over £400 foir just a graphics card.

crazy s***

Or go all out and blow the budget and some on this fker..

http://www.computerorbit.co.uk/mmCOCC/Images/actual/syspackages/i7aquagamer%20actual.jpg

AQUA GAMER WATERCOOLED OVERCLOCKED PC

£1,738.26 Ex VAT

£1,999.00 Inc VAT

* Intel Core i7-920 Quad Core 2.66Hz CPU Overclocked to 3.8GHz

* 1000GB (1TB) Sata2 32MB Hard Drive

* 6GB Corsair XM3 1600MHz DDR3 (tri-channel 3 x 2GB)

* 1GB nVidia GTX 285 DDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card

* 16x LG Blu Ray and HD DVD Reader / DVD-RW

* Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm Edition Motherboard

* CoolerMaster Cosmos "S" Sport RC1100 Case

* Acrylic Clear Side Panel for CoolerMaster Case

* orBIT 360 Water Cooling Kit

* No Operating System or Software

* Choose your own Software

Water Cooling Kit:

* Laing DDC Ultra 18W Pump with EK DDC-X Top

* Black Ice Stealth GT360 Radiator with 3 LED fans (Choice of Colour)

* EK Supreme Acetal CPU Block

* XSPC Single Bay Reservoir Black

* XSPC 7/16th Clear Tubing

* Primochill Ice Non Conducting Coolant

* Primochill Dye Bomb (Blood Red, Steel Blue, UV Green, UV Purple)

* 1/2" Hi Flow Fittings, Red Plastic Clips and Anti Kink Coils (Black or Red)