British footballers abroad

Fenham Mag

Funny thing about English people complaining all the time about foreign flops, and then there is very few good english star-players playing abroad, dont they have the balls to go outside the uk, or is it just coincidences?   :angel:

The money is better here unless you are top class.

Think a lot of it is that we have relatively strong/popular 1st,2nd and 3rd divisions whereas foreign countries tend not to have the depth in the league. Quite a few English players playing in Scotland i guess.

Guest palnese

not british, but steve finnan is making his money in espanyol isnt he?

He's hardly played out there, 4 league games I think and has been linked with a loan move to Spurs.

would be a great addition to our squad at the moment!

Guest palnese

Language is a big issue as well, very few English people (esp footballers) would even attempt to live in a non English-speaking country.

There's the guy playing in Turkey isn't there?

Colin Kazim-Richards in Fenerbache i reckon. I think his mother is turkish or something. Did he also change his name to Kazim-Kazim?

Language is a big issue as well, very few English people (esp footballers) would even attempt to live in a non English-speaking country.

Colin Kazim-Richards in Fenerbache i reckon. I think his mother is turkish or something. Did he also change his name to Kazim-Kazim?

Correct. He also played for Turkey in Euro 2008.

Guest Heneage

That's down to schooling as well, kids don't touch language till 12, you learn linguistics best in your early years.

That's down to schooling as well, kids don't touch language till 12, you learn linguistics best in your early years.

Course, also if you believe the stereotypes then footballers might not be the sharpest tools in the box.

Guest MrSundlofer

Daryl Smylie, midfielder from Northern Ireland played for Newcastle some years ago. A young lad who didn't make it here. He now plays for Ljunkskile in the Swedish Premier Division. The manager pays a small part of his wage...

Smylie was the best player in the team. But Ljungskile is crap. He is now out of contract and will leave for a better club.

Guest MrSundlofer

And also...

Darren Huckerby plays in the States. For San José I think. There is also Danny Dichio.. he plays for Toronto with Rohan Ricketts.

A former Man Utd defender called Mark Howard plays his football with Bröndby in Denmark.

I'd definitely like a spell abroad if I was a player, especially while I was young and developing if possible. Don't know why more don't go for it, especially with the EU free-trade laws.

I'd be away too, Spain preferably.

Daryl Smylie, midfielder from Northern Ireland played for Newcastle some years ago. A young lad who didn't make it here. He now plays for Ljunkskile in the Swedish Premier Division. The manager pays a small part of his wage...

Smylie was the best player in the team. But Ljungskile is crap. He is now out of contract and will leave for a better club.

Kalmar FF in the same league (last years champions)

I remember replying to a similar thread a while back on another forum about this topic. I wish more English players would be more adventurous to go abroad.....it makes the player`s game better IMO. Anyways....

1. You do not see people in general from Britain move abroad except US, Australia etc. Why? the language. We are such an ignorant nation that we cannot live anywhere that doesnt speak english or have a big english community.

2. English players skills in the technical Spanish, Italian and to a lesser extent German league means they are not necessarily in great demand.

3. Players will not be considered as strongly if playing abroad - beckham is a ridiculous exception - for the england team.

Actually there are some other players not mentioned on here - one is Cherno Samba (remember the hype?) plays for FC Haka in the Finnish league. Was an England youth intl

Kris Thackray... was with the youth teams but let go at 16, plays for Reggina now, although I think he is out on loan to a lower league team.

aye....here`s a short article about him....

. Serie A has an English player in its ranks, although unless you are from Newcastle and have a keen interest in that club’s academy, you’ll have missed the roundabout way Kris Thackray has made it as a professional. Thackray is 20 and has a contract with Reggina, a top-flight team from a city roughly between the toe and the stiletto heel of the Italian peninsula.

He has captained their reserve team and is spending the first half of this season on loan with a Serie C club, common practice for a player of his age in Italy, and given that his Serie C borrowers are from Naples, this is likely to be a sound crash course in street-wisdom.

Thackray has already been around the block. Released by Newcastle at 16 “for being too short”, says his father Alan, by 17 he had grown to more than 6ft, had enrolled at Gateshead College, and, playing for the England Colleges XI, had a good enough game on a tour in Italy to attract the attention of Reggina. There, they converted Thackray the midfielder into a centre-half and he has “the sort of one-on-one coaching I never knew in England”, he says. So far so good. Tyneside's loss, Italy’s gain.