World of Warcraft

oldtype

Just wondering why there wasn't a thread on these boards for this.

Is the game unpopular in the UK? Being a Korean living in America, I'm kind of used to it being a ubiquitous topic of discussion wherever I go.

Just to get the ball rolling, I play a Hunter walking around with one of these...

http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/images/skin_pix/tigerskinblackstriped.jpg

O0

Its weng.

Which of the following would you be referring to?

Weng, Germany, a town in the district of Landshut, Bavaria, Germany

or

Weng im Innkreis, a town in the district of Braunau am Inn, Upper Austria, Austria

or

Weng im Gesäuse, a town in the district of Liezen, Styria, Austria

:cheesy:

What do you actually do in the game?!?! Its always puzzled me.

Pretty much the basic MMORPG model. You choose from one of several characters with a diverse array of abilities, and you preform a variety of tasks to "level up" that character, improving its abilities and getting better gear.

Once you're at maximum level the main attraction is running dungeons, which require the cooperation of as few as 5 and as many as 25 players.

The game has a variety of draws.

For "sandbox" players it offers an extremely deep, well-made microcosm of society in which you can do all manner of things.

For "packrats" there are literally thousands of different pieces of gear, and various methods of customization for you to collect.

For social players, there a lot of opportunities to meet people and engage in fulfilling group activities (the aforementioned dungeons)

I still can't wrap my head around buying a game, and then <i>paying</i> to play it. I mean, I understand why the developers set it up that way, I just can't see what's in it for the consumer.

Guest LucaAltieri

Got a level 45 Troll Hunter.

Got bored. Tired of going out grinding. Was more like work than fun and I was paying for the privelage.

Jacked it in.

Yeah, I got my Gnome rogue up to about level 35 and noticed it had turned into a grind. So I stopped playing, that was probably 3 years ago now.

Plus, the community was never as good as back when I played Everquest (pretty much the only thing that game had going for it).

I'm tempted to give this a try if/when i get my new PC, does it require a decent graphics card? the graphics look pretty much bog standard to me.

Part of the reason why it's so popular is that the system requirements are really low, obviously if you want to get the most visually out of the game you'll want a good graphics card but it's by no means an essential.

I got into WoW about 3 years ago through a friend and have an 80 undead mage. Play it on and off - when the new content starts to dry up I generally get bored and stop playing for a few months until the next patch comes out.

You can play it with pretty much everything. Looks really s*** on a low end system though.

The key to having fun with this game is only playing as much as you can enjoy. It's actually a lot of fun when you take it in small doses without feeling the compulsion to level or amass gear as fast as possible.

You can play it with pretty much everything. Looks really s*** on a low end system though.

The key to having fun with this game is only playing as much as you can enjoy. It's actually a lot of fun when you take it in small doses without feeling the compulsion to level or amass gear as fast as possible.

That'd be all well and good if you weren't forced to pay per month. If I payed for a month, I'd want to play as much as possible to get as much bang for my buck as I can.

played it far too much,

still play but not as much as i used to

I still enjoy the game for the most part but think the hardcore raider vs social gamer ruins the game and people take it far too seriously

Do you actually pay a subscription to play, after you've bought the game?

Yeah. £9 a month is the subscription fee, you need to buy the retail game first to create an account - which ultimately means buying World of Warcraft, the Burning Crusade expansion, and the Lich King expansion if you want the full experience - totalling about £40 - £45.

And as they really wanted to take the piss, the retail copies that you buy are absolutely worthless once you've created an account, beause the CD Key they come with can never be used again - ever. You can create one account only, and even if you "cancel" that account you can't start up another with that CD Key. So if you do buy the game and find it's mind numbingly boring as I did, then chances are it'll just sit on your shelf till you throw it in the bin as I cant think of a reason why anyone would buy a used copy of the game as they'll need an unused key to create/upgrade an account (unless they've lost/damaged their CD - at which point they could just download it "legally" of course (and it would be legally surely as they've already purchased the game)).