World of Warcraft

oldtype

Its weng.

Which of the following would you be referring to?

Weng, Germany, a town in the district of Landshut, Bavaria, Germany

or

Weng im Innkreis, a town in the district of Braunau am Inn, Upper Austria, Austria

or

Weng im Gesäuse, a town in the district of Liezen, Styria, Austria

:cheesy:

None of the above, weng as in shyte.

I know some people who play it at work.  Its taken over their lives and moan about people in their clan like they would moan about work.  Its like a second life for them.

Its weng.

Which of the following would you be referring to?

Weng, Germany, a town in the district of Landshut, Bavaria, Germany

or

Weng im Innkreis, a town in the district of Braunau am Inn, Upper Austria, Austria

or

Weng im Gesäuse, a town in the district of Liezen, Styria, Austria

:cheesy:

None of the above, weng as in shyte.

I know some people who play it at work.  Its taken over their lives and moan about people in their clan like they would moan about work.  Its like a second life for them.

It's all about moderation.

And if you think WoW is bad, at least you don't have to deal with people who play the actual Second Life...

I still don't know what you actually DO in this type of game. Level up doing what? What does everyone else online do? Is there AI at all?

The game is set in a big virtual Lord Of The Rings type world. There are two sides (Horde and Alliance), each side has a number of races (e.g. humans, elves, orcs, cows on two legs, etc etc) you then pick a type of character (e.g wizard, warrior, mage, hunter, healer, and so forth). Your character starts off at level 1 for all attributes - so defence, strength, attack, speed, etc etc, are all within level 1 limits. The maximum level your character can get to is 60 in the original game (WoW), 70 in the Burning Crusade expansion, and now 80 in the Lich King expansion. There are also a number of non-combat skills that similarly start off at level 1 - e.g. mining (where you mine ore from rocks), blacksmithing (create weapons and equipment), cooking (make food with strong healing properties), etc etc - theres over a dozen of them iirc, and are called professions. You can only have two professions at one time, so e.g. mining and blacksmithing (can mine ores, create metal, then use that metal to create weapons, which you can either use or sell on WoW's in game auction place).

You then run around in this virtual world doing one of three things -

1) fighting the various wild monsters/beasts/animals/creatures littered around the game world in order to gain experience points and level up your attributes.

2) do quests/missions that provide alot of experience points. These quests for example require you to get a certain number of items (usually by killing/fighting the aforementioned game world enemies as per the quest's requirements) in a specific area.

3) focus on your professions (e.g. spend an hour mining rocks and increasing your mining level, which then allows you to mine more "valuable" rocks which will give you better metals, e.g. lumps of silver).

The aim for levelling up is that it allows your character to equip more powerful weapons/accessories (known as "gear"), allows you to take on more powerful foes in higher level grounds, opens us many of the in game enhancements (e.g. instead of running around you can get a mount, which is some kind of animal you can ride that allows you to run around quickly), and gives you the ability to do the end-level things like storming the other side's cities in large groups of other players, or run a dungeon where 5 to 25 people go in together and fight some uber high level AI boss who when killed will leave a uber high piece of gear for one lucky person. There's also a big tournament competition thing where teams/clans fight each other and get ranked.

The "fighting" within the game is essentially similar to an RTS game (e.g. age of empires, C&C) where your character does the fighting for you but you perform all the movement controls and decide what spells or powers or attacks to use when. At the earlier levels, most of the fighting will be with game world creatures/beasts/animals/etc, because the two sides (Horde/Alliance) have their own areas on whatever continent you're on, and therefore noone with a low level will bother going into the other's territory as they'll be attacked.

I personally found the game pretty shit and quit after a few weeks (got a warrior to level 30). The main gripe I had was that to level up, you were spending most of your time running around. Running around as in mind numbingly boring running around, a virtual character doing nothing but running around in a virtual environment. For example, to do Quest XZY, you have to run from A to B, kill 10 monsters, run back to A, then run to C, kill 20 monsters, run back to A, then run again to B, so on and so forth. Each little trip could take upwards of 5 minutes, which means that you're sitting on your keyboard holding the 'w' key watching your virtual character run around in a shitty virtual environment for 5 minutes every time (you can auto-run forwards, but then you usually end up running into a mountain face or something - basically you cant do anything else, the game will need your constant attention). And that was whilst I was "cheating", i.e. using a walkthrough guide on the internet to find out where I had to go, which probably saved me countless hours. Added to all of this annoying running, the amount of time it took to "level up" became insane. To get from level 29 to 30 took me severeal quests plus lots of fighting, a few hours worth of gaming practically.

• 1 year later...

£9 a month subscription multiplied by 9 million players worldwide equals £81 Million a month for the software company (and that doesn't include any sales of the actual game). Nice earner!

I never knew anything about 'World of Warcraft' until I started working in the IT department at work. The people at work who play this game go on about it all day long. Unfortunately that makes them fit the exact stereotype of an IT geek - Going on about dwarves, elves, potions and shit.

It's fucking shit.  Used to be good back in the day when it felt like bit of challenge to level n that, and quickly turned shit when the add-ons became repetitive "Go here and kill 20 of these."  and the fact that everyone the same class as you ran around in the same gear, with pretty much the same talent tree's just made it boring as fuck for me.