Time for a salary cap in the Premier League?

Decky

With news that City have apparently offered Kaka a quarter of a million a week, just think of their wage bill in about 2 or 3 years when they could have about 15 players earning over 80k a week including average players like Wayne Bridge. Its disgusting imo and this kind of thing will ruin the game. So the question is, is it time to cap clubs like Man City and end their monopoly?

Agree somehting has to be done, makes me laugh though most managers give it "we only want the right players we only want players who want to play for us and want to be here"

With that kind of wage offer it could be fkn West Brom he would take the move.

No. Nothing wrong with a club paying big bucks to a star player.

As for the complaints, after years of hearing about how the game was being destroyed by Chelsea's money and the top four would only ever win trophies amongst themselves, Pompey won the FA Cup last year and Villa are currently in the top four with a "nothing special" squad imo. Quite clearly, a decent, settled manager, good squad depth, and a good player or two are all you really need to have a chance of doing well.

Dunno really, I guess the theory was that no club could ever sustain ridiculous wages because the finances of the business wouldn't allow it. Obviously the introduction of Abramovich and co. changed the whole game, as those clubs don't need to budget their spending in line with their incomes.

I don't know whether a salary cap is legally possible, I guess so if it is possible in the states?

A City delegation has reportedly met with their Milan counterparts with a bid of £100m and a weekly wage of £500' date='000 on offer for the 26-year-old. [/quote']

That is Half a million a week, utter disaster for football if it proves to be true!!

I thought European employment law meant there was no chance of a catch-all limit on earnings being legally possible.

True, but you could cap how much a club is allowed to spend in total on wages.

City would be fucked then; all that money and they're still texting people like me (attended one game) in desperation to try and sell tickets. I got one just now.

I thought European employment law meant there was no chance of a catch-all limit on earnings being legally possible.

True, but you could cap how much a club is allowed to spend in total on wages.

City would be fucked then; all that money and they're still texting people like me (attended one game) in desperation to try and sell tickets. I got one just now.

traitor  :lol:

http://www.nufc.com/html/2007-08html/2007-09-29mancity-a.html

:(

Guest Stephen927

Aye, its getting way out of control now.  I shudder to think what the leageu will look like in 5-10 years time.

Would we be saying this tho if the Arabs bought us and not man city???

If the Arabs had bought us, we'd all be dreaming of signing Kaka and saying that if it's our only chance to get back into European football then why should we not do it.

Football has already been ruined by mega bucks.

Unworkable IMO.  The clubs would just find other ways of paying the players other than wages.

Like what?  Whatever they pay you even if it's a free benefit such as medical insurance is still on your payslip as its taxable and taken off your tax allowance.  They could give you a car but that is still a benefit, the only way they could do it is if they say they'd won a competition or something and even then it's still a grey area.

Weyhey, everyone's won the weekely Man City players lotto heres 400k each.

I doubt there'd be any way to cap the weekly salary of players in the same manner that they used to be (even then there were ways around it, "sponsorship deals" involving new cars, houses, etc.).

I'd not be against capping wages and transfers as a percentage of club turnover.  So, where a club has an annual turnover of £100million there'd be a 60% salary cap and 50% transfer cap for example, with £60 million for wages in the pot Citeh would be able to pay Kaka £500k per week, but they'd have to fund everyone else's wages from the remainder.

Transfers could operate in the same manner, it would allow clubs to spend a lot of cash on players but should prevent a club like Leeds from spending a huge amount of money on players with no way of funding those transfers.