Shearer questions Man City spending

Guest sicko2ndbest

England legend Alan Shearer has voiced concerns at the direction Manchester City's owners are taking the club following their reported bid for Kaka.

City have been linked with a bid in the region of £100m for the AC Milan player and offered him a £500,000 weekly wage.

The wealthy Abu Dhabi United Group are keen to sign the world's best players.

"My worry is in three, four or five years time if these people get bored with the club, what does it do to Man City? Shearer told BBC Sport.

"We're talking about a special player, probably the best in the world, but you can't tell me anyone is worth that."

If midfielder Kaka were to join City for £100m he would become the most expensive footballer in the history of the game.

In 1996 Shearer became the world's most expensive player when he moved from Blackburn to Newcastle, with the current transfer record held by France's Zinedine Zidane, who moved from Juventus to Real Madrid in 2001 for £47m.

"I found it an honour and I relished the pressure that went with it," said Shearer.

"But this money is in another league from anything we have ever seen before - it's an incredible amount.

"I certainly wasn't worth £15m in '96 and he's not worth that amount of money now and I'm sure he will be the first to come out and say that."

Shearer won the Premier League title with Blackburn, but failed to win a single trophy during his 10 years at Newcastle.

Kaka has won nearly every domestic trophy there is to win including the European Cup and Serie A title as well as the Club World Cup.

In 2007 he also picked up the Ballon d'Or and Fifa World Player of the Year awards and was a member of Brazil's World Cup-winning squad in 2002.

And Shearer believes a player should always be influenced by the prospect of winning trophies and medals rather than financial considerations.

"Medals are more important to a player than money, without doubt," said Shearer.

"You can't tell me Robinho has gone to Manchester City for medals because it looks like at this moment in time he has done it for financial reasons because Manchester City are a million miles away from challenging for honours."

When Robinho signed for City from Real Madrid he was unhappy with the Spanish club's willingness to sell him to fund a failed move to sign Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.

Chelsea had been favourites to sign Robinho but Real reportedly refused to sanction a switch for him to join them as they were upset at the Stamford Bridge club's conduct in the matter.

When Shearer won the league with Blackburn the club was bankrolled by former owner Jack Walker's millions.

"It is an interesting time and I hope the money will be spread around other football clubs," said Shearer.

"You have seen it with Chelsea who have bought success and Blackburn did it to an extent with Jack Walker and it is all slightly worrying.

"On the other hand it will hopefully be generated around other football clubs, which is what the game needs."