Owen Last Night

Crumpy Gunt

Pulled out of at least three 50 / 50 challenges that I counted.

Obviously one eye on the future.

I only saw the highlights on ITV, but I did notice right at the start, an incident where Xisco headed the ball down to him and Owen pulled out of a 50-50 challenge with the defender who came across. So it wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't the only incident.

Don't think I have ever seen a Newcastle captain who has looked less like he gives a fuck than Michael Owen last night.

I don't think Owen has ever given a fuck about Newcastle so it sums up how low we have sunk that a player who is counting the days till he leaves is wearing the captain's armband. The results when he plays without Oba speak for themselves about who is more important to the team so I now look forward to the summer when he leaves in the summer.

its also possible he's been told to dodge any 50-50's by kinnear to avoid injury.

Grab as many as you can...

http://www.kodak.com/US/images/en/corp/1000words/jennyc/joelStraws.jpg

Guest The Libertine

its also possible he's been told to dodge any 50-50's by kinnear to avoid injury.

Yes there must be a real possibility Kinnear said that  :iamatwat:

"dont go in for any risky challenges against a team of shit kickers because we dont need another injured striker"

not that unlikely. more likely than owen not trying very hard whilst trying to earn himself a move to a bigger club.

"dont go in for any risky challenges against a team of shit kickers because we dont need another injured striker"

not that unlikely. more likely than owen not trying very hard whilst trying to earn himself a move to a bigger club.

Agreed. Thats exactly the sort of message managers send whole teams out with when there is an injury crisis.

Ever heard the phrase 'wrapped in cotton wool'? It was designed for these exact circumstances.

Don't think I have ever seen a Newcastle captain who has looked less like he gives a f*** than Michael Owen last night.

tbf the majority of the players looked like that. It was only Duff and Guthrie that were trying to hissyfit them back into life.

Grab as many as you can...

http://www.kodak.com/US/images/en/corp/1000words/jennyc/joelStraws.jpg

:lol:

Think about it ... come the end of the season Owen will not have a contract with anyone right?

So what is the worst possible thing that could happen to Owen right now? A serious injury because then no one would give him the kind of contract he wants.

If anything he is looking out for himself. I think it's scary that we have to rely so heavily on him in the run up to the end of the season. Would much rather we sold him now and got someone else in.

"dont go in for any risky challenges against a team of s*** kickers because we dont need another injured striker"

I do see what Crumpy's saying, and it doesn't look good at all for a player of Owen's stature, and the captain of our club to be pulling out of 50/50's. However I do agree with Libertine that we do NOT need him injured, and will need his goals to stay up. Having said that though, Kinnear should have taken him off at 70 minutes if he wanted to keep him safe, and gone for broke with Carroll and Ranger.

Has Owen lost his touch ?

Expecting a flood of big pay checks wherever he goes ?

Whoever signs him, I hope they get even LESS of his appearances and goals WE'VE had for our money !

Was a disgrace last night to be honest. The chance after Duff's flick was easy, n I'm pretty sure most other players on the pitch would have scored it. Hope he never plays for England again and someone who cares is given the captaincy.

I may be wrong, but going into things half hearted always seems to be a far easier way of getting an injury than going in 100%. Owen wouldn't have scored the opener against Portsmouth had he been shirking 50/50s, if a decision has been made for him to now stop going for them, then we just should not be playing him. The whole idea of being a goal poacher, which is in my view what he now is, is to stick your head / boot into places to try and nick a goal, if he is taking this away from his game, there ain't too much left?

That said, i'm going on what has been said on this thread and what was said on the radio last night, i couldn't bring myself to watch the highlights. Also, in some ways, if he gets injured then we may be the only team willing to offer him anything like what he wants and this might lead to us standing more chance of keeping him long term. I certainly don't think Kinnear would have told him to avoid 50/50s though.

Was a disgrace last night to be honest. The chance after Duff's flick was easy, n I'm pretty sure most other players on the pitch would have scored it. Hope he never plays for England again and someone who cares is given the captaincy.

Which of our players really cares about the club? :S

Jonas, Taylor, Martins and Shay

Why would you say Jonas would care? He's only been here for half a season! As for the rest of them, I think they would be off if they had the chance, but I guess that's just my opinion.

Jonas? says who? he's been here 5 minutes! I'd say Beye and Shola