How to lose weight and influence people

Guest toonlass

Cutting out late-night snacking.

eating at night dosen't make you fat.

Does actually. After about 8-9pm your metabolism slows right down so the food you eat gets stored as fat instead of being burnt off.

Myth, according to some scientists from the USA.

Does actually. After about 8-9pm your metabolism slows right down so the food you eat gets stored as fat instead of being burnt off.

wouldn't it depend on what the body is doing. ie if it was at the start of a night shift i'm not so sure my metabolism would be slowing down.

Are Americans really people to listen to for advice on diet?

(Apologies to our doubtless well-maintained American posters  :pow:)

Are Americans really people to listen to for advice on diet?

(Apologies to our doubtless well-maintained American posters  :pow:)

I guess the academics and scientists at the Oregon Health & Science University aren't all overweight.

Having said that and just read more about the article it turns out they did their research on monkeys!  :colo:

Guest Heneage

Like all journalists, Nixons ramblings have a small grain of truth in them. ;)

I wouldn't do what Nixon suggests in the sense of just toning down, because you're still taking on a fairly regular source of crap.. but there's no need to cut this stuff out of your diet completely. What a lot of health freaks/gym rats do, myself included is to eat clean 6 days a week, nothing bad or after 8pm etc. etc. but allow myself 1 'cheat' day a week where I can eat pretty much anything I want. I tend to have it on a Sunday so I can have a big fat Sunday dinner.

Diet is a massive, massive part of fitness and is the difference between having abs on show and not. Everyone already has the six pack, it just happens to be covered in a roll of fat. :lol:

Thank you. :D

But yeah, I mean I'm not saying One Pizza equals One salad, but if once a month your dad comes in with Pizza whats the harm in having a slice or two? A diet should never get you depressed, I've been fat for maybe 2 years and I tried the Atkins and Jesus I was so down when I was on that, but now I have a plan where  I eat good tasty stuff that works for me, I play regular football again a Friday and I'm happy. I'm not saying see a tear grab a pie, but you are making life changes here, and you are introducing new stuff, to your diet and to you, for me personally a drastic vedge only 110% no differnt diet wouldn't work thats just me.

I wouldn't do what Nixon suggests in the sense of just toning down, because you're still taking on a fairly regular source of crap.. but there's no need to cut this stuff out of your diet completely. What a lot of health freaks/gym rats do, myself included is to eat clean 6 days a week, nothing bad or after 8pm etc. etc. but allow myself 1 'cheat' day a week where I can eat pretty much anything I want. I tend to have it on a Sunday so I can have a big fat Sunday dinner.

Diet is a massive, massive part of fitness and is the difference between having abs on show and not. Everyone already has the six pack, it just happens to be covered in a roll of fat. :lol:

Eating "crap" once a week is a great way of keeping your digestive system on its toes! If you completely eliminate the bad food, your system will get used to the healthy unprocessed food, and becomes "complacent". Give it a good jolt of grease or junk once a week to keep it ticking over properly. IMO it's a good thing as you get your fix, and keep your system healthy.

Thank you. :D

But yeah, I mean I'm not saying One Pizza equals One salad, but if once a month your dad comes in with Pizza whats the harm in having a slice or two? A diet should never get you depressed, I've been fat for maybe 2 years and I tried the Atkins and Jesus I was so down when I was on that, but now I have a plan where  I eat good tasty stuff that works for me, I play regular football again a Friday and I'm happy. I'm not saying see a tear grab a pie, but you are making life changes here, and you are introducing new stuff, to your diet and to you, for me personally a drastic vedge only 110% no differnt diet wouldn't work thats just me.

I never said that cutting out pizza once a month was necessary, far from it. I merely picked up on your comment about chocolate and to a lesser extent crisps; both of those - particularly chocolate - are virtually useless to your body and are just comfort foods. If someone struggles to control their intake of such fatty, useless foods in the first place then they'll carry on struggling to control it unless they cut them out altogether IMO.

Everything is fine in moderation, but moderation is something that overweight people by definition don't do.

Guest Stephen927

I lost 2 stone by eating loads of pasta, Special K and lifting weights.

It won't help you lose weight but get one of them ab rollers for the house and do some exercises at your own pace, they look like this;

http://a2zequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/ab_roller_exercise_wheel.jpg

OR

http://www.pycfitness.com/ab_machine/images/ab_roller1.jpg

Dirt cheap to pick up and will help you tone a bit.

Best bit of advice I can give you, and it's not easy, is whenever you feel you want something to eat, think whether that message is coming from your stomach or your head. A lot of the time it's mind over matter.

Write down clear goals, one long term, one 3 month goal, and even one for the week. Keep the long term goal on a piece of paper with you at all times and read it every day.

Its also good to write down why you want to lose weight, and what it is that makes you unhappy about the way you look. By reading that stuff it can really motivate you.

The diet is also a major factor. Eat smaller meals every three hours. Eat less carbs (stop eating bread if you can) and more protein foods. But youll get into the details on your diet if you are gonna take this seriously.

I am bit overweight, but was so much worse a year ago. ive lost about 66 lbs since then and doing great atm, using these guidelines.

Guest Howaythetoon

The people I know who have dramatically changed their lives (myself included) have made it their life goal to change, be it their appearance, persona, wealth, education or weight and the ones that stick at it tend to succeed. Quite hard to do however if you're a single parent bringing up kids and also trying to better yourself educationally. By at least giving things a go however you're at least stand a better chance of succeeding in your aims so good luck to you. Regarding what others think, they do not and never will matter or shouldn't. That's a fear issue, best advice I can give is to have a mentality of f*** whatever others may or may not think, you'll then soon realise that the majority of people really don't care about how you look, act or anything else and probably feel silly for thinking they do, only those that matter to you will care about how you look, act etc. - use them as a strength because I'm sure they'll support whatever you do or whoever you are or become.

Guest Howaythetoon

Regarding weight, again this is going off the experiences some people I know have went through, it seems to be all about the right reasons. I know lots of not fat people but people slightly overweight or "larger" people who have no issues whatsoever as they are happy with themselves and their lives, I imagine for such people trying to radically change themselves for no apparent reason other than some perceived perception others may have of them, would make such people miserable.

You say you have kids, now I don't know how healthy you are or how overweight you are but again, the people I know who have lost weight or changed their lifestyles and selves and this goes back to the right reasons, have done so for their kids' sake. I.e. if you're overweight and are suffering with bad health, that can have a negative impact on your kids' lives, make it your goal to get fitter and slimmer for your kids' sake and not that dress you have your eye on or to rebuff the offensive remarks from some complete strangers (they are twats anyway, ignore them), that way you will have more chance of succeeding.

I don't have kids but I'm an uncle and I love nowt better than having a kick-about with my youngest nephew, if I couldn't do that because of poor self induced health (i.e. getting myself overweight) I'd kick myself and make it a goal to get fitter to continue having those kick-abouts.

There's some really good advice in this thread.

I too need to shed a few pounds, as whilst I'm not "fat" yet I'm heading there through a crap diet and lack of exercise.

I'm going to try and make healthier meals and go running in the mornings before work - I used to sometimes and always felt much better through the day, compared to lately where I drag myself out of bed at the last minute and feel really lethargic at work.

Good luck toonlass.  :celb:

Toon lass, i have a simple message, eat less, move more, it always works.

Cheers I know that  ;D but what if you have a problem with motivation?

my lass just said, tell her to watch Paul Mckenna, I can make you thin.

Ok, is that on Sky? Can he make me tall too?

he has a book about making you thin as well

There is some good advice here.  I will just say some things that have worked for me when I put on a bit of weight (mainly due to drinking)

Losing weight gradually is simply about burning more calories than you intake. It really is that simple so it makes it easier to work out where the calories are coming from (you don't have to work it out every day, just do it once for all of the main things you eat and drink so you know) I have to be honest with you, cut down on the drinking that is the worst thing for putting on weight or getting out of shape... at least work out what calories you intake on a match day so you can work out what you need need to burn off again.

Also, a large part of burning off calories is down to making sure you eat all vitamin groups you need so do try and eat more veggies and fruit, it will help to stave off hunger and it will not add too many more calories and getting the vitamin balance you need helps burn off calories.

Exercise is easier than you think, walking is good and free. Take the kids out for a walk more often, and get an exercise bike (you can get them second hand) and use it for 5-10 minutes a day to start with and build up to half an hour, and just make sure you are more active with the kids running around and playing sport with them. It will make things a lot easier to lose weight if you are enjoying yourself and keeping your kids healthy at the same time.

Paul McKenna videos and audio cd's are not the expensive, and you can also find some online. ;)

Don't expect everything to change overnight, but do stick with it, and you will notice the changes.

Good luck!

Guest toonlass

Ok, today is the first day of the rest of my life (corny I know). So I have chucked all the ket out my cupboard, to be honest there wasn't that much cos I don't buy biscuits or crisps for the bairns. I have also bought some new plates and bowls which are smaller than the ones I had before, so am thinking smaller plate, smaller portion size. Walked the little bairn to nursery and then walked to Netto (high class lass that's me) and home at a brisk pace which took just over half an hour (not including the walk to the nursery) and am going to walk to the nursery to pick the bairn up again. The best thing about that is that there is a Lidl closer which I would normally have gone to and where I could have got what I needed, but thought that the walk to Netto would be better for me. We are having home made vegetable soup for tea, I have been drinking water today (have only had one cup of coffee when I got up~its a necessity to be honest). Feeling good about myself to be honest, its like I know that I am making the effort and trying to change.

Ok, today is the first day of the rest of my life (corny I know). So I have chucked all the ket out my cupboard, to be honest there wasn't that much cos I don't buy biscuits or crisps for the bairns. I have also bought some new plates and bowls which are smaller than the ones I had before, so am thinking smaller plate, smaller portion size. Walked the little bairn to nursery and then walked to Netto (high class lass that's me) and home at a brisk pace which took just over half an hour (not including the walk to the nursery) and am going to walk to the nursery to pick the bairn up again. The best thing about that is that there is a Lidl closer which I would normally have gone to and where I could have got what I needed, but thought that the walk to Netto would be better for me. We are having home made vegetable soup for tea, I have been drinking water today (have only had one cup of coffee when I got up~its a necessity to be honest). Feeling good about myself to be honest, its like I know that I am making the effort and trying to change.

thats the way. lass, i always say, you can eat as much as you like as long as you walk a lot,..i eat like a f-king pig, but, despite having a car, will walk as much as possible, regular, 4/5 mile walks.

Guest Heneage

Well done Lass. I wish I had Lidl near by closest one is bout 8 mile away. Luckily there's a Bells 1 mile away, so I'll head there for shopping.

While we're on the topic of weight loss, does anyone have any advice on getting rid of stomach fat specifically?

I've had a bit of fat on my gut since the day I was born, and despite the fact that I've been working out pretty consistently for the past couple of years it refuses to go away, even though I'm pretty thin otherwise.

Right - well - good on you toonlass, and the very best of luck to you in your endeavours. But before you go any further I just wanted to chip in with one wee further piece of advice...if/when you find yourself wavering...or craving junk food...or find yourself listening to the wee demons in your head telling you that "one packet of Maltesers won't hurt..they're made of honeycomb and there's hardly anything to them"...when temptation comes knocking at your door, don't beat yourself up about it if you make the mistake of inviting it in to your living room, sitting it down and letting it force feed you cream cakes, Belgian waffles and a packet of mini Cornettos. Don't be too hard on yourself. Think "small steps, long distance journey" and you won't go far wrong. Don't give in to feelings of inadequacy if/when you find yourself failing, just shrug your shoulders and think "fuck it, I'll try again tomorrow" - if it's a case of three steps forward, one step back then so be it. I'm sure you'll do it, if you really want to...

:snod:

Guest alankhaw

What worked for me was by cutting down portions for lunch and dinner and never eating anything past 9pm! Breakfast is a very important meal so don't skip that. I usually have cereal and fruits. Skipping lunch is fine but never skip breakfast. It's supposedly the meal to start the engine in the morning.

Cutting down on junk food and eating healthier (e.g. salads, fruits etc. i'm not saying turn into a vegan) worked for me. As for exercise, I cycled everywhere I needed to go rather than taking the car. Walking is good but I prefer cycling as it's more of a challenge and you can set goals. Not to say you can't do that when you walk but you can set higher goals because you can go further with a bicycle and much quicker!   

don't know if this has been suggested already, but keep a food diary.

write down everything you eat (literally, everything) and at what times, also keep a tally of what drinks you consume. I've found that I've pretty much stopped snacking or picking at food now that I write it down...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2004/nov/07/foodanddrink.features11

http://www.mireilleguiliano.com/

Start thinking French. Not many fat French birds, even the ugly ones. This has thusfar worked for me, but it isn't a quick fix.

You could walk until your legs fall off, if you've got diabetes you may have joint problem, hour long walks might damage you (assuming you have). Short brisk walks are better than long slow ones. Try something that's not going to be repetitive on the same muscle group, swimming works the lot and you can change your stroke, don't do anything with heavy impact, hitting the treadmill isn't going to be for you right now. Likewise, nor is lifting weights in a gym going to be any use to you, you could have abs of steel underneath but if you don't do cardio the fats still going to be there, so don't start sits ups and s*** either, waste of time if you've got stones to lose. Also a waste of time if you don't really know how to do it.

If you've got sky, there is like a 20 minute program, cheesy as f***, but Oz Aerobics do it 3 times a week, there is a program on every morning repeated on the afternoon, pretty much just light exercise, no complicated routines, you don't have to be a ballet dancer, decent workout.

Cut out all non natural sugar (if possible, don't know much about diabetes). Don't eat white bread, or white pasta.

Water is the absolute key. I've never drunk coffee so i can't understand the need for it. Switch to green tea, it really does make you feel less hungry, no sugar, no s*** and a hot drink.

What size clothes are you out of interest?