Midfield - all bark and no bite

TRon

Mentioned this last week, but why is it that the strikers get the blame if we don't score goals? We have plenty of midfielders who look good but between them they probably haven't contributed enough goals in half a season to count on one hand. N'Zogbia (when he's played), Duff, Guthrie, Jonas...these are all attacking players but they rarely get anywhere near the penalty area.

What makes them better than Danny Murphy or any of the West Brom midfielders for that matter? Is it not true that they are in reality mediocre and over-rated? Is it really Kinnear's fault that they lack the balls to go for goal?

Barton is back now and that is massive for us.

Barton can actually hit a decent strike when he plays far enough up the pitch, but that just highlights how poor the others are in this regard.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Jonas is fine, Guthrie is decent as a ball retainer, Barton also with a little more cutting edge. Everyone is is shit/bordering on shit and we need someone who can produce some form of goal threat regularly from midfield.

Jonas is fine, Guthrie is decent as a ball retainer, Barton also with a little more cutting edge. Everyone is is shit/bordering on shit and we need someone who can produce some form of goal threat regularly from midfield.

If we are going to have midfielders who are going to refuse to contribute goals then we can't afford too many. Jonas would be the one I would accomodate, Guthrie should only play in Butt's role. Everyone else should fuck off.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

If we are going to have midfielders who are going to refuse to contribute goals then we can't afford too many. Jonas would be the one I would accomodate, Guthrie should only play in Butt's role. Everyone else should fuck off.

Agree.

Barton had to be dragged away from smacking Enrique by the looks of things, won't be long before he can't play for us again. My god how far the club has fallen when we are relying on a prick like this.

He must enjoy the bad headlines. It's not going to do the team spirit any good that's for sure.

Barton had to be dragged away from smacking Enrique by the looks of things, won't be long before he can't play for us again. My god how far the club has fallen when we are relying on a prick like this.

Blatantly didn't look like that "by the looks of things".  Saw the replay twice he was giving him an earful but saying it came even remotely close to physical violence is ridiculous.

Blatantly didn't look like that "by the looks of things".  Saw the replay twice he was giving him an earful but saying it came even remotely close to physical violence is ridiculous.

The bloke in the middle pulling the two apart didn't make it look like things could have got out of hands ? An angry Joey Barton of course would never let things get out of hand ? The Griffin incident at Stoke started off just like that.

Guest firetotheworks

Barton is a big plus to have back. I can imagine him and Guthrie doing well enough to sort us out. The midfields been poor, but I think its Martins were missing the most. He's our threat because he's the only one who will do something unpredictable and has a pace.

Barton, Guthrie, Nzogbia, Duff, Butt are sub standard

Build a good midfield around Jonas and we may see allot more from him, can't expect him to deliver the goods on his own playing with those turds

Currently he doesn't seem to be in Kinnears good books so gets dropped for matches like this. The problem the club has isn't helped by the top level board to management. Stating the obvious I know.

Guthrie-Butt is a relegation standard central midfield. Butt went down with birmingham 3 years ago and he's only gotten worse since then. that they both happen to be poor off the ball and a far cry from the more physical bruisers who populate other sides just worsens the combination.

elsewhere - Jonas can flatter to deceive, he is the sort who creates space and openings for others, but if the others can't create something when given the opportunity, then he's not really helping.  N'Zogbia hasnt shown consistent form for years and Duff is about as threatening as my nan.

Guest Heneage

The good thing about Barton is that he strikes me as one of the few who actually gives a f***. Which is ironic.

Its because he doesn't like to be made to look a fool and I don't blame him. We need some more fighters in the team.

Guest firetotheworks

The good thing about Barton is that he strikes me as one of the few who actually gives a f***. Which is ironic.

Exactly how I feel. I dont like him that much as a player but there's no doubting he has that never say die attitude, You can tell he despises losing and doesnt like being part of a team that has the piss taken out of it by a team like Blackburn.

I can't understand why Butt always ends up in forward positions (invariably fucking them up). Is he being instructed to do so ahead of Guthrie or is he the only one who is willing to gamble?

Its because he doesn't like to be made to look a fool and I don't blame him. We need some more fighters in the team.

Well let's hope he produces allot more than he usually does, as for now the fighter term is a bit tongue in cheek