We're Sh*t And We're Sick Of It

LoveItIfWeBeatU

A year out the premiership wouldn't be so bad i guess.  At least we will see us winning games. We keep out of the media limelight for a change .

But will there be as much financial repercussions  as people say if we get relegated and come back up within one season?

I reckon we would keep attendance near 40,000 if we are doing well. Get rid of some of the wage bill. It could work out for the best.

But that is assuming we would come straight back up.  The only teams that seem to do so are the yo-yo teams as they have the experience.  Our decent players would leave and we would have to rebuild a whole team and then if and when we were promoted, we would have a weaker squad and so would probably struggle.  But then we will have a low wage bill so I guess the board will be happy.

A year out the premiership wouldn't be so bad i guess.  At least we will see us winning games. We keep out of the media limelight for a change .

But will there be as much financial repercussions  as people say if we get relegated and come back up within one season?

I reckon we would keep attendance near 40,000 if we are doing well. Get rid of some of the wage bill. It could work out for the best.

No.

I can't believe that there are people who exist out there who wouldn't be completely against relegation.

I'll take struggling in the top league but remaining there over winning games in the Championship any day. I couldn't care less what the media thinks of us, indeed I disagree with your point entirely as they'd love it - we'd be the biggest laughing stock that ever existed. A good club shouldn't rely on relegation to trim the wage bill, I'd rather Kinnear and Ashley came to their senses (if they remain) and sort it out themselves.

It would be a complete disaster and I would take not a single positive out of it.

Guest Mucky01

I know of a few younger blokes than me think relegation would be a test of their loyalty and superfan status.

If that’s what makes them tick then I immediately write them of as naive retards.

A lot of the romantic visions of the 1980’s (and beyond) are based mainly on myth, but some of those times were good as we didn’t know any better.

Guest The Libertine

of the bottom 5 teams in the championship, 4 of them have been in the premier league recently. charlton are 8 points from safety. "relegation ftw" indeed.

pathetic attitude.

I'll tell you what, only being born in 1985 I've had it good when it comes to this club. Especially compared with some older people on here than me, and as my dad keeps on telling me, we may have been absolutely garbage for long periods in the 1980's, however he said they were his favourite times following the club home and away. Keep the faith man.

Football was different then though - it was a lot cheaper to watch and to travel to and there was also more passion in the crowds imo - which being honest was provided by the extra "hatred" I've talked about before.

The funny thing is if we do go down I will definitely go to more away games.

A lot of the romantic visions of the 1980’s (and beyond) are based mainly on myth, but some of those times were good as we didn’t know any better.

True - as I've also said before the problem is now that people have seen good times.

Its the whole self-destructiveness that p*sses me off

Yes we were worse in the 80s - and most of the 60s and 70s

BUT - there are SUPPOSED to be better players here now.

Hard to believe isn't it ?

Maybe if they put as much effort in as those crap teams from the 60s 70s and 80s.....

Funnily enough we weren't a bad team to follow from 65 until we got relegated; one really poor season and we were gone; it wasn't just the music that was crap in the 80s...

My expectations have risen enormously since we were promoted though and even older posters feel the same level of frustration (notably NE5!) because of our present situation.

Guest Howaythetoon

Relegation wouldn't be the end of the world. Could be in a weird sort of way just what this club and fans need - a fresh start. I'd trade relegation if it meant getting rid of Ashley and co, Kinnear and all the wasters in the team and on the stands -  to be replaced by a bright young manager, perhaps Shearer, some new backers who want and share what we want and feel, and some good honest and slightly talented players who can grow with the club.

Relegation wouldn't be the end of the world. Could be in a weird sort of way just what this club and fans need - a fresh start. I'd trade relegation if it meant getting rid of Ashley and co, Kinnear and all the wasters in the team and on the stands -  to be replaced by a bright young manager, perhaps Shearer, some new backers who want and share what we want and feel, and some good honest and slightly talented players who can grow with the club.

Jesus fucking wept.

Based on what?

I stopped reading after the bit in bold. Because again, HTT has said something which is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

I stopped reading after the bit in bold. Because again, HTT has said something which is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

I think its called mentally preparing yourself for the worst (or inevitable  - take your choice of word)

Guest Howaythetoon

So how would it be the end of the world?

Guest stjamestoon

I kind of agree it wouldnt.

In some ways it would be awful, but if we stay up this season, whats going to happen next season? The league is generally getting better/harder, and we are getting worse. Teams like Stoke, Hull, WBA arent shite no more. They are improving and we are drastically getting worse.

We need to start again. Ideally we need someone to come in and start from scratch, new board, new manager, new players...get the hype and feel good factor around the club. Currently the only way i see that happening is if we did get relegated, and Mr Ashley took his interest away from the club, and someone saw some potential

It would either be that scenario or we would dissappear into oblivion like LUFC.

I think it's naive to assume that Ashley will leave if we get relegated.

It's obviously more easy to sell a premiership club than it is to sell a championship club, and Ashley isn't suddenly going to be willing to sell the club for nothing just because we've been relegated. He'll still want to recoup a significant portion of his investment.

The more likely scenario is that Ashley simply lets us rot down in the lower divisions for God knows how long until he can find someone daft enough to spunk down major cash.

The club will be much, much more salable if we retain our place in the Premiership.

Pathetic. Even by your low standards.

It... it just would.

If we went down it would be a LONG LONG time before we could even contemplate being in the top half of the table again, that's if we ever make it back out...

Guest Slippery Sam

The question was would our interest in NUFC be less if we were relegated. My answer is no. I was once asked by a new fanatic supporter around 1995 if I had a season ticket (she and her family were proud season ticket holders) - I answered that I didn't have a season ticket, I had a life ticket. Supporting NUFC is not just for Christmas.

I will still go to see NUFC in any division.

I am, though, sick of hearing mediocre footballers being referred to as 'ace' and hearing common goalkeeping saves being described as 'world class' and stuff being done on a football pitch being something 'brilliant' when people I went to school could have done the same. The media are bunch of leeches feeding off a working class game ,hijacked by people I find it very hard to like, and they are pissing me off something rotten.

I do think that this season is going to be the final nail in the coffin for a huge number of fans. There is next to no pleasure to be had from following Newcastle United anymore. What hopes have we got? Hope not to get relegated? Hope all our 'best' players don't leave? Hope our owner sells the club? Hope we get a new manager?

I'm sure a lot of people will be thinking that it's time to start spending their time and money on something less soul destroying.

This isn't a knee jerk reaction. Let's face it, things have been pretty shit since Bobby Robson left.

If we get relegated will your interest in the club be less than it is now?

I ended my post with the relegation question but I suppose what I was really asking is do you enjoy supporting Newcastle United anymore?

I've seen a lot of people say how they enjoy going to the match because of the going for a drink with their mates part. They often say the actual match ruins the day. How many weekends and evenings has your mood been ruined by NUFC? As many have mentioned, some are now at the dangerous time where we don't even get upset anymore about poor results because we expect them. Apathy is setting in.

Newcastle is our club and I'm not suggesting anyone switches allegiances to another club but in a way NUFC is like a bad relationship. You get shabby treatment but you keep coming back in the hope for better times.

I definitely don't want Newcastle to be relegated. People often say though that in the stands a lot of the crowd no longer support and spend the match moaning. You've got to wonder why those people keep spending their money on something they don't like. "It's your team and you support them" is all well and good but how many other things would you spend your time and money on without getting any pleasure out of it? It's a bit masochistic.

I'll always want NUFC to do well but there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel anymore.