Spending Our Way Out of Trouble

johnnypd

Gordon Brown's trying to do this, Obama will also, now it's time for Ashley to do the same.

Despite picking up a bargain or two in the summer, the time has come for some real investment to save our arses. If Rennes are asking double what we are offering for Mbia, then give them double. If Kinnear wants a £16m striker, then fucking buy him. If we want to sort out the right-side which has been a problem since Dyer and Solano's sales, and exacerbated by Milner's departure, then we're going to have to shell out a sizeable fee. it's great to buy 16 year olds for the future but we need real quality that can make an impact over the next few months as well as in the next few years.

It's not like we can't afford it, we've spent virtually nothing in net terms since Ashley arrived at this club and that under-investment is one of the reasons we're where we are in the League. Trying to scrimp and save at this point is at best foolish, at worst suicidal. Yes, it might mean we have an increased debt in the coming years, but the alternative of going down and being deprived premiership revenues would be an even bigger financial hit.

grow some balls, Mike.  :angry:

Guest The Libertine

do we trust kinnear with the money? probably not.

do we trust wise with the money? we cant, as that wouldnt be "backing the manager".

what now?

Give Kinnear a chance to spend megabucks?

Yeah right, no ta. Atleast as things stand we'll go down with some money left.

I'd rather give him a shot at it than take the second option, as something needs doing now.

I'd rather give him a shot at it than take the second option, as something needs doing now.

I don't trust him for a minute. If Kinnear isn't capable enough to keep this squad of players up, then letting him go and spend £10/15m on another two or three isn't going to do anything. Do you think, if we'd signed M'Bia, he'd have dropped Nicky Butt? I don't.

Besides, even if we did, who the fuck's gonna come to this hole?

Gordon Brown's trying to do this, Obama will also, now it's time for Ashley to do the same.

Despite picking up a bargain or two in the summer, the time has come for some real investment to save our arses. If Rennes are asking double what we are offering for Mbia, then give them double. If Kinnear wants a £16m striker, then fucking buy him. If we want to sort out the right-side which has been a problem since Dyer and Solano's sales, and exacerbated by Milner's departure, then we're going to have to shell out a sizeable fee. it's great to buy 16 year olds for the future but we need real quality that can make an impact over the next few months as well as in the next few years.

It's not like we can't afford it, we've spent virtually nothing in net terms since Ashley arrived at this club and that under-investment is one of the reasons we're where we are in the League. Trying to scrimp and save at this point is at best foolish, at worst suicidal. Yes, it might mean we have an increased debt in the coming years, but the alternative of going down and being deprived premiership revenues would be an even bigger financial hit.

Fair enough post, that said I'd rather it wouldn't be Kinnear getting said money.

Guest LucaAltieri

Gordon Brown is spending on infrastructure. Investing in a frame work that will put us in a better position when the economy picks up?

What is the footballing equivalent in this analogy? Investing in youth, I guess.

Fair enough post, that said I'd rather it wouldn't be Kinnear getting said money.

He's the manager though, so if the money's there for him to spend then he should get it.

He's the manager though, so if the money's there for him to spend then he should get it.

What's your point man? That goes without saying and I didn't disagree with it.

We have ten days to regroup before we play next, i would think we will sit it out until the end of the week, see how the two loanees and lovenkrands work out, see if we get any further with anyone else then start panicing a few days before the window closes.

We have ten days to regroup before we play next, i would think we will sit it out until the end of the week, see how the two loanees and lovenkrands work out, see if we get any further with anyone else then start panicing a few days before the window closes.

To be honest I think he'll be a great signing and give us an extra dimension certainly with Jonas on the left. Other two I haven't got a fucking clue

To be honest I think he'll be a great signing and give us an extra dimension certainly with Jonas on the left. Other two I haven't got a fucking clue

Any news on who they are?

Trust Wise with the cash and tell Kinnear to deal with it. Let's face it, Wise has done allright for us so far.

Does that mean we'd finally get that central midfielder and those full-backs we've been after?

it is distasteful to give the dosh to him, but he's our manager so tough, really. he'll be the one training with the players, motivating them, picking the team and leading them from the touchline. purportedly, at least.

no point signing someone he doesnt want. for instance, such and such a player (lets call him Xisco for now) could be mint, but if Kinnear doesnt fancy him, there's no point to him being here or bringing him in.

Gordon Brown is spending on infrastructure. Investing in a frame work that will put us in a better position when the economy picks up?

What is the footballing equivalent in this analogy? Investing in youth, I guess.

i'd say it's more to do with a keynesian stimulus package to artificially boost the economy. may as well spend it on something worthwhile than on a bridge connecting two unpopulated islands.

Absolutely incredible notion.

It's exaggerated but i maintain the sentiment. I believe that if Kinnear can't keep up the crop of players he's got now, then giving him a load of cash isn't going to help make a difference. The squad he has now, the team that was out there today, is a top half side - arguably top 8.

I don't want him to have bundles of cash for varying reasons: the fact that it's January (therefore inflated prices), the fact that i don't trust him, his favouritism towards current squad members, and also considering our potential targets. We're not going to get anyone ridiculously good that warrants the high fees, so there's little point doing it.

You have to also consider the future - at some point down the line... we're either going to go down, or we're going to have to replace Kinnear. Call that pessimistic or an incredibly mentality but like it or not, that's what's going to happen. The inevitability of it is so great, that we need to try and dilute the effects it will have at this early stage. Bringing in more overpaid, overvalued players isn't going to help us.

A couple of cheapos and/or loans to fill out the squad would keep me happy.