Barton for Captain?

Parsley

Could it be worth the risk?

- We're in desperate times and need more of a character at the forefront to keep morale high. For me Owen just isn't vocal enough and while I can accept that he leads by example, that's difficult to do when his role is purely scoring goals and Barton's is to win tackles. I think seeing Barton winning challenges will inspire the midfield, our big problem area, more than seeing Owen beat the offside trap only to miss his daily sitter.

- He's already captained Man City.

- Owen's off in the summer anyway so any dissuasion caused might not count for much.

- Barton can communicate with the players and drive them, I'm not convinced Owen can. I've never seen Owen pep up the team like Barton did before West Brom while he's been captain.

Obviously it has some big drawbacks in that the media would have an orgy over it and it could push Owen out the door when we desperately need his goals. I'd also like to point out that I think Owen's a terrific player but while it made sense for KK to hand him the captaincy last season, circumstances have chanegd massively and perhaps giving Barton the armband could give the players the morale boost they need.

Guest LucaAltieri

He came on today and started roughing up our own left back.

I'm not sure making him captain would be such a morale booster for the team.

Guest toonlass

While I don't advocating him beating up his own team-mates, at least he shows some emotion. Michael Owen looks like he is bored stiff and just waiting for Man City to come and get him. How inspirational and motivational that must be!

Guest LucaAltieri

While I don't advocating him beating up his own team-mates, at least he shows some emotion. Michael Owen looks like he is bored stiff and just waiting for Man City to come and get him. How inspirational and motivational that must be!

An ineffective captain is better than a captain that has a negative effect.

Fair point but it at least shows that he's willing to put his point across and try to change things. Owen seems to just give up with the rest of the team and do nothing.

Guest toonlass

What are you on about? How can Owen's glaring desire to leave this club be seen as anything but a negative effect? What does Owen actually do in a match when he doesn't score to gee the lads on? Have you seen how annonymous he is when he doesn't have the ball? There is no one man bigger than this club, even England's Michael Owen!

Guest firetotheworks

His hatred in losing and desire to win is one thing. His anger when he loses and the way he takes it out on players, or slags them off on the radio, or smacks them on a training ground is another. He has the Souness attitude. It works when a player works to his own morals, but it doesnt when he forces them upon others.

His hatred in losing and desire to win is one thing. His anger when he loses and the way he takes it out on players, or slags them off on the radio, or smacks them on a training ground is another. He has the Souness attitude. It works when a player works to his own morals, but it doesnt when he forces them upon others.

Who's to say he's still like this?

Guest LucaAltieri

I'm not sure who it should be.

Really it needs to be whoever has the respect of the changing room, someone who Joe trusts, someone with good organisational skills, and someone who can communicate with everyone effectively.

Without actually knowing any of the players I have no idea who best fits that description... but I really can't see it being Barton.

Guest LucaAltieri

What are you on about? How can Owen's glaring desire to leave this club be seen as anything but a negative effect? What does Owen actually do in a match when he doesn't score to gee the lads on? Have you seen how annonymous he is when he doesn't have the ball? There is no one man bigger than this club, even England's Michael Owen!

I can only assume you didn't see the game today. Whenever we broke through their back line it was usually down to Owen finding some space in behind.

This "glaring desire" to leave is entirely your own opinion, by the way. Everything he's said so far has been to the contrary and the club has only recent started contract talks with him.

On the other hand you have Barton who is quite clearly a twat of a man.

Guest toonlass

I can only assume you didn't see the game today. Whenever we broke through their back line it was usually down to Owen finding some space in behind.

This "glaring desire" to leave is entirely your own opinion, by the way. Everything he's said so far has been to the contrary and the club has only recent started contract talks with him.

On the other hand you have Barton who is quite clearly a twat of a man.

No I didn't see or hear the game today. But I have seen plenty others. The glaring desire I speak of is to wait about talking about his contract until he is a free agent. Surely if he wanted to be at the club (and he claims money is not the object) then his agent can negotiate the deal and he can sign it. His refusal to sort out the deal until the summer points towards the fact that he doesn't want to be here.