Tennis

Djokovic winning all the Masters 1000's at least twice (only player to do it at all).
Djokovic has the double career grand slam, 1 more than Nadal and Federer.

He has smashed Federer's weeks at #1 record.

Djokovic has favourable h2h's against both Nadal and Federer as well.

Djokovic is the only one to hold all the slams at the same time. (2015-16)

Feel like that eclipses a 1 slam difference.

12 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Djokovic winning all the Masters 1000's at least twice (only player to do it at all).
Djokovic has the double career grand slam, 1 more than Nadal and Federer.

He has smashed Federer's weeks at #1 record.

Djokovic has favourable h2h's against both Nadal and Federer as well.

Djokovic is the only one to hold all the slams at the same time. (2015-16)

Feel like that eclipses a 1 slam difference.

Didn't he basically get a free 50-60 weeks at #1 due to Covid? Also, favourable H2H as Federer is almost 40. It's 27-23 and Djokovic has won 8 of the last 10 over the last few years. Those records are a bit skewed.

Djokovic is great, but he is not the greatest. Ronaldo could win more trophies, more Ballon d'Or awards etc. but we all know that Messi is the greatest. It's the same here. Federer is just pure, fluid tennis.

16 hours ago, Aiston said:

Federer out of Halle already,

4-6 6-3 6-2 against Felix Auger Aliassime.

Doesn't look too good for Wimbledon for him.

His knee is gone. I think the end is near. Time waits for no man.

28 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Golden slam for Novak this year imo.

Not for me. The conditions at the US Open aren't favourable to him and he's likely to miss out on his usual summer break as he heads to the Olympics. I fancy the field against the big three for the US Open again. Surprise winner on the cards.

1 minute ago, O Neill said:

Not for me. The conditions at the US Open aren't favourable to him and he's likely to miss out on his usual summer break as he heads to the Olympics. I fancy the field against the big three for the US Open again. Surprise winner on the cards.

Us open is always the one to give surprise results.

For a while I've had 2022 in my head as the year that a lot of the players that made up the numbers during the golden generation might retire. The list of potential names that could wave goodbye to tennis over the next year is surprisingly big:

Roger Federer
Rafael Nadal
Andy Murray
Stan Wawrinka
Juan Martin Del Potro

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Richard Gasquet

Gael Monfils

Gilles Simon

Fernando Verdasco

Fabio Fognini

John Isner

All of these guys were top 10 players on the ATP Tour at one point. Plus I'd expect long term top 20 players like Feliciano Lopez, Phillip Kohlschreiber and Andreas Seppi all to depart as well. I know the focus is often on the top 3 players and that sometimes extends out to the other 3 grand slam winners on the list above, but I do have fond memories of a number of matches featuring almost all the players on the list above. It will be a strange place when so many familiar faces drop off the tour in the next 18 months.

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

Djokovic easily.

Not necessarily. You could argue that the top 10 was more consistent around 2011 when Djokovic peaked with the likes of Nadal, Federer, Murray, Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych etc But you have to factor in how significant the changes to the playing surfaces have been in creating that consistency. If you go back to around 2006 then the hard courts were much quicker, and therefore you had fewer players who were comfortable playing across the three surfaces. If you back to when Federer at his best between 2004-1007 then you'll find that more players were coming to the net to volley etc than you'll see now. There were certainly more players playing the same type of tennis by 2011 than there were back in 2006 which is useful if you are Djokovic and simply better at it.

Trying to decide a GOAT in tennis is a fruitless debate. The surfaces, the equipment, the balls etc have all changed so much over the years that the sport in the 90s, the 00s and the 10s is very tough to compare. Absolutely nobody knows how Djokovic would have done playing against Sampras at Wimbledon in 1995 when serve/volley was the predominant strategy on a faster grass surface with the racquet technology of that generation. It's hard to say whether a style of play predominantly from the baseline would see much success. By a similar token how would Sampras have done in 2013 playing on slower courts? No idea.

35 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Norrie in queens final.  Definitely starting to make that next step he needed.

From the little bits I've seen this week, his footwork has definitely improved. I would be surprised if he wins the title though. From behind the baseline he looks very steady, but he doesn't look comfortable at the net. By contrast, Berrettini has looked surprisngly good when he comes to volley, and it has been a big part of his game the last week. If he were to get a good draw at Wimbledon, he would make for a decent outside bet.