Tennis

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

Magic tennis bairn bullets her coach, apparently. Seems harsh, looks like they've done ok so far

This was out there a few weeks back. Their working relationship was a short term deal to see her through the US trip following Wimbledon. She parted ways with Murray's father-in-law, Nigel Sears, after Wimbledon and they found someone familiar to get her through a trip that was already planned. Andrew Richardson doesn't really have any tour level coaching experience, and that's going to become important to her when she's playing the bigger events week-in, week-out. From what I've seen, her father is keen to rotate her coaching team regularly to keep things fresh, so she is picking up advice from difference people. It's pretty much the opposite of what a lot of players do, but it could be advantageous in that she won't become a one-trick pony that other players learn to beat. That is the problem that the likes of Bouchard, Wozniacki, Ostapenko etc have faced.

I think the footballing equivalent here would be Chelsea 2012. Sure, Di Matteo took over and won the Champions' League, but he was never the long term answer. They clearly want to get on the front-foot with her development. It's definitely a gamble, but a better one than assuming she has all the tools already.

Perhaps the bigger news of the last few days is that Simona Halep has ended her 6-year coaching partnership with Darren Cahill. He's delivered Grand Slams for her and wouldn't be a terrible choice to work with Raducanu. It's come to the time of year when a lot of coaches get dumped by their players, who are all seeking quick fixes before the Australian Open, so I'm sure she'll have plenty of choice in whom she appoints.

I just wanted to say Magic Tennis Bairn really :lol: but I always feel bad for the coaches that after a victory get handed the mitten, as PG Wodehouse would have it

I would have thought that maybe what she's just done might indicate that the tried and tested approach might not always be the right one

Edited by OpenC

22 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I just wanted to say Magic Tennis Bairn really :lol: but I always feel bad for the coaches that after a victory get handed the mitten, as PG Wodehouse would have it

I would have thought that maybe what she's just done might indicate that the tried and tested approach might not always be the right one

:lol: I'm glad you did.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, neesy111 said:

Norrie putting in a good run at Indian Wells.  Into the semi's.

He's also broken into the top 20 and overtakes Evans as British number 1. Had he not had that early exit to Carlos Alcaraz at the US Open I think he'd have made it to the World Tour Finals and had a good shot of finishing inside the top 10. 

Just now, O Neill said:

He's undoubtedly had it. His tune has changed entirely over time. He was very vocal in being against it early on, and now he 'isn't declaring his vaccine status'. 

Yeah I saw that.

• 5 weeks later...

The recent comments from Federer suggest to me that the time has come. He's talking about a mid 2022 comeback, however he all but said that WImbledon looks off the table at this point. It's clear he wants to end things on his own terms, which is a bit of a rarity in tennis, but I've a funny feeling that if there is anything left, it's not going to be memorable and the way he wants to go out. At this stage the best he might be able to hope for is a token appearance at Basel. If the recovery is delayed any further, then it wouldn't surprise me if a retirement statement comes out around Wimbledon next year. At his age, he's going to know that if he's not 100%, then pushing his body to try to compete will likely lead to further surgeries and longer recovery times that he doesn't need. I have a funny feeling that despite his desire, that the QF loss at Wimbledon this year will have been his final match on the tour.

Edited by O Neill

There's nothing right about the situation at all. I don't know anything about Chinese social media other than it is heavily monitored by the government. I'm not placing any blame on Peng, but I can't understand her thought process of putting that accusation of sexual assault out on a social platform while she was residing in the country. I am massively in favour of her speaking out, and I've no idea if there is more to the scenario she was in than is being said (eg family/friends in the country that the government would target), but I do wonder if there would have been a way she could have spoken out without putting herself in personal danger.

The problem right now is that nobody can prove there is any wrong doing. Even if she is missing/cannot be contacted, there is no way for anyone internationally to help because there is no evidence that connects anything back to the Chinese government yet. Hopefully the number of appeals from high profile sports stars etc will find a way to force some action, but at this moment I'm doubtful there is much anyone can or more to the point will do.

From the tennis perspective, I'm not too sure what the ATP/WTA will do. For example, the ATP normally runs 4 events in China per year including a pair of 250s, a 500 level and the Masters 1000 level event in Shanghai. However, each event is generally run by an independent company which will have its own contract with the ATP. The Shanghai Masters for example is owned by the Juss International Sports Event Management Company. They are a company that has run events like the Formula 1 GP in China. I'd suspect they are state sponsored in some way. Even if they are, it would probably be very difficult for the ATP to pull their event without having to pay out millions in compensation for potential loss of earnings (despite the fact that attendances at these events is pretty poor at the best of times).

It's hard to see how this situation doesn't develop into a political mess or more worryingly, Peng simply gets forgotten about.

Very concerning.

8 minutes ago, O Neill said:

There's nothing right about the situation at all. I don't know anything about Chinese social media other than it is heavily monitored by the government. I'm not placing any blame on Peng, but I can't understand her thought process of putting that accusation of sexual assault out on a social platform while she was residing in the country. I am massively in favour of her speaking out, and I've no idea if there is more to the scenario she was in than is being said (eg family/friends in the country that the government would target), but I do wonder if there would have been a way she could have spoken out without putting herself in personal danger.

The problem right now is that nobody can prove there is any wrong doing. Even if she is missing/cannot be contacted, there is no way for anyone internationally to help because there is no evidence that connects anything back to the Chinese government yet. Hopefully the number of appeals from high profile sports stars etc will find a way to force some action, but at this moment I'm doubtful there is much anyone can or more to the point will do.

From the tennis perspective, I'm not too sure what the ATP/WTA will do. For example, the ATP normally runs 4 events in China per year including a pair of 250s, a 500 level and the Masters 1000 level event in Shanghai. However, each event is generally run by an independent company which will have its own contract with the ATP. The Shanghai Masters for example is owned by the Juss International Sports Event Management Company. They are a company that has run events like the Formula 1 GP in China. I'd suspect they are state sponsored in some way. Even if they are, it would probably be very difficult for the ATP to pull their event without having to pay out millions in compensation for potential loss of earnings (despite the fact that attendances at these events is pretty poor at the best of times).

It's hard to see how this situation doesn't develop into a political mess or more worryingly, Peng simply gets forgotten about.

Very concerning.

Winter olympics in the new year in Beijing too.