Here's one.

Neil

Discussing Newcastle with my parents earlier. Now I don't have a clue if they're in the minority when they said this, but...

I offered them 2 scenarios, out of pure hypothetical interest.

Scenario 1: Sunderland finish 5th, Newcastle finish 6th

Scenario 2: Newcastle finish 17th, Sunderland finish 18th.

They both much preferred Scenario 2.

Am I the only one to find that absurd, and basically saying "I'd rather see Sunderland do badly, than Newcastle do well"?

I would rather option 2, although I would fucking hate Sunderland finishing above us I would rather us do well. I also have the luxury of not living near many of the unwashed so wouldn't be exposed to so much of their shite.

Scenario 1, but I'm not a local so I don't feel as much 'hatred' for Sunderland as Geordies do.

Newcastle 17th, Liverpool 18th. That's a scenario that's much, much more appealing. But even so, I want the team to do well, regardless of who finishes above or below us.

Most sensible people would go for option 1. Surely you would much rather see your own team do well regardless of how any other team does. But, in these dark days, option 2 sounds like the best we could hope for, i.e. a nice bit of schadenfreude...

Discussing Newcastle with my parents earlier. Now I don't have a clue if they're in the minority when they said this, but...

Am I the only one to find that absurd, and basically saying "I'd rather see Sunderland do badly, than Newcastle do well"?

The first, unless of course it's our result on the last day of the season that relegates them in the second :)

Why does someone always come on with "OMG and we say they are obsessed with us!!!111" when we have a thread about them every 14 weeks?

Look on their forum and then tell me we are even remotely as obsessed as they are, this thread was started by an Everton fan FFS! :lol:

I just want us to do well, and I'd cope with scenario one quite well, providing the gap between them and us wasn't too great, otherwise it could perhaps be a bit irritating...but hell, I'd have that anyday over us being anywhere near the bottom three.

Scenario 1, but I'm not a local so I don't feel as much 'hatred' for Sunderland as Geordies do.

Newcastle 17th, Liverpool 18th. That's a scenario that's much, much more appealing. But even so, I want the team to do well, regardless of who finishes above or below us.

Can I have Sunderland at 19th and Spuds 20th too?  :blush:

want us to finish as high as possible......don't care where they finish

THIS ^

Completely agree. It doesn't matter if Sunderland win the league every year - we will always be better than them and deep down even they know it.

scenario 1 for me - but mainly because of the split between scenarios.

it it had been 12, 13 or 14 in scenario 1 i would have had a bit more trouble making up my mind.

Couldn't agree more.

The reason its Liverpool v Everton or Man v Man City that is the "big derby" in the north and not Newcastle v Sunderland

Why does someone always come on with "OMG and we say they are obsessed with us!!!111" when we have a thread about them every 14 weeks?

Look on their forum and then tell me we are even remotely as obsessed as they are, this thread was started by an Everton fan FFS! :lol:

i dont think most fans are obsessed with the plight of sunderland to be honest, but those who would happily turn down us finishing in a european spot (instead our league situation getting even worse than it is now) if it meant sunderland going down do need to have a word with themselves. and there are people who have said it. so i stand byy my point if you dont mind!