Black Power!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Its a little stereotypical, i know, but most black footballers have 2 things in their armoury, strength and pace. I am not trying to pigeonhole them as i know different 'black' players have a number of other qualities from Rio Ferdinands fantastic reading of a game to Ashley Youngs fantastic trickery and delivery.

I look at some of the other premier league sides and they seem to have a more ethnically diverse squad.

A few examples of influential black players within their squad

Everton: Yobo, Lescott, Yakubu

Arsenal: Gallas, Adebayour, Toure, Clichy

Chelsea: Drogba, Anelka

Stoke: Fuller, Faye, Cort

Portsmouth: Distin, Johnson, PBD

Villa: Young, Gabby, Davies

I know there are other good examples, and also other contradictory examples like Man Utd who have a 'white dominated' squad take out Rio and Evra, but they do have the advantage of spending big.

Stoke have filled their side with power and that is their one chance of survival. Hull have Boateng in the middle and have just loaned Manucho, Bolton have Muamba in the middle and have just signed Makkuluka?

We currently have Beye, Geremi, Martins, Bass, Ameobi and Zog. Geremi lacks both power and pace, Ameobi lacks pace, Zog lacks power. Only Bassong, Martins and Beye are influential on the first team, and that is because they have these attributes in abundance, as well as the obvious others. Beye and Martins are so influential, as the past month has highlighted. I know theres no point in looking back but losing Faye in the summer has been a massive loss. I think he would have replaced Butt and added some much needed power to the middle of the park.

I think MBia if we do get him, will make a big difference. It will make even more difference when we are not playing well. Power and pace are things you have regardless of whether you are having a good game or not, and in a lot of cases gets you out of trouble.

Guest sicko2ndbest

let me be the first to say.. RACIST!!

?

I get your point, but...

Dear God, there has got to be a better way to phrase this than that :doh:

Dont think there is? If the mods think its racist i apologise, but hopefully they will see my point

Guest sicko2ndbest

A simple "we lack physicality" would have sufficed?

Not really, because i wanted to point out how influential black players can be

Guest NorwegianMag

Give him a break. He has some valid points.

I'm gutted with the decision to sell Ab Faye. Certainly need a player back there with that kind of strenght and pace. Especially when we meet teams with strong strikers.

A simple "we lack physicality" would have sufficed?

Not really, because i wanted to point out how influential black players can be

Surely they're influential because they're physical and not because they're black ???

I was thinking that we have an ideal oppurtunity to go big on power and pace this window. If  Shay, Smith and Geremi left, you could go big for Mbia, Gomis, Ebondo and a left back of similar ilk. That would leave you with Jonas, Zog, Barton and Mbia in the middle with Gomis and Oba up top. Two quick, powerful full backs would make us a very tough side to play.

Pompey did it last year and were very successful.

Guest sicko2ndbest

What a stupid point, just because athleticism is associated more with black people doesn't mean it's exclusive to them.

Black power.. idiot.

This is a valid point and one i take on board, however, my point is also to highlight how influential Beye and Martins are on our first team.

Oh and well done on the insult!

aye Geremi is dead fast and powerful isnt he.  :idiot2: and cacapa must be the softest, slowest bloke in the top division. personally i'd settle for Mascherano and Fellaini but maybe they'd suffer from not being black enough.

as oldtype said, we need physicality and the midfielders we have must be the least imposing, slowest, softest lot in the league, race doesnt come into it

What a stupid point, just because athleticism is associated more with black people doesn't mean it's exclusive to them.

Black power.. idiot.

This is a valid point and one i take on board, however, my point is also to highlight how influential Beye and Martins are on our first team.

bit like Bellamy and Robert transforming us into a champion's league side and arguably the best counter attacking team in the league.

Guest sicko2ndbest

aye Geremi is dead fast and powerful isnt he.  :idiot2: personally i'd settle for Mascherano and Fellaini but maybe they'd suffer from not being black enough.

as oldtype said, we need physicality and the midfielders we have must be the least imposing, slowest, softest lot in the league, race doesnt come into it

Read the OP properly!

Black power.. idiot.

But Rooney and Zambrotta would be influential to our team. The nationality or race of a player shouldn't come into their physical attributes.

It's like saying only Brazilians play with flair, so lets get a few of them in.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Black power.. idiot.

bit like Bellamy and Robert transforming us into a champion's league side and arguably the best counter attacking team in the league.

Look at Pompey last season

James

Johnson Distin Campbell

PBD Diarra Muntari

Benjani

They were the best counter attaking team in the league, because they were defensively sound and offensively powerful and rapid.