Ashley Strategy

Guest northwestmag1892

Guest northwestmag1892

Sorry to resurrect but this was something I posted back on 4/9/2008 in the wake of the KK debacle. Although some aspects have moved on the general feeling is pretty much the same. In a nutshell, f*ck off Ashley, f*ck off Labia(sp?), f*ck off Wise. Of course it was prior to the appointment of JFK... "Which one is Simon Bird?" I give up.

4 Sept 2008:

"I may be losing it, but picture this:

I wonder if this was all done on purpose by a fan of Spurs. "Avin a larf" with his mates Llambias et al in a Larndan boozer one night decides it would be a right larf to buy NUFC and then destroy it along with hurting it's fans by destroying a legendary manager in the process.

How would you do that?

1) Buy NUFC

2) Sack unpopular manager and recruit KK

3) Undermine KK by appointing a Director of Football in the form of an odious little runt, totally unqualified to do the role

4) Promise major new signings

5) Go back on promises

6) Sell players that are key to KK

7) Engage in discussions with KK

8) Leak a report to Sky that KK had told friends that had been sacked

9) Engage in more discussions with KK

10) Stand your ground and insist that Wise stays

11) Get your Chairman to write a letter to KK outlining that you're not prepared to meet any of his demands

KK left with no option to resign.

You couldn't make it up..."

To be fair, it was a f***ing massive mistake to bring KK back in the first place.

It was destined to end in tears although the end came a lot sooner than I thought it would.

How was it a mistake if the owner was instead intend on getting the best of KK's qualities? It was a potential masterstroke imo to reviving the club if his true intentions wernt what they are.

Guest northwestmag1892

Agreed Skirge...I had to trawl for that post but there are still parallels with what is happening with JFK and the "executive team" of Ashley, Llambias and Wise.

Guest northwestmag1892

To be fair, it was a f***ing massive mistake to bring KK back in the first place.

It was destined to end in tears although the end came a lot sooner than I thought it would.

Ah, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? Actually, it was only a massive mistake under the current regime. Under one that actually understood this fan base and geography, actually, it was a great move. Sadly though, the owner didn't really understand either.

Ah, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? Actually, it was only a massive mistake under the current regime. Under one that actually understood this fan base and geography, actually, it was a great move. Sadly though, the owner didn't really understand either.

No hindsight at all.

I've been consistant with my view since the day he came back. It was always going to go tits up. It was massive step back.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Joe Kinnear fears losing Newcastle's best players

George Caulkin

Joe Kinnear has admitted that he is struggling to retain his best players at Newcastle United, with Manchester City's continuing interest in Shay Given, coupled with a crippling injury list and a lack of progress in the transfer market, altering the dynamics at St James' Park, where disaffection has taken root.

City are set to offer £8million for Given, a sum that would give Kinnear some room for manoeuvre regarding new signings, although he has previously dismissed the possibility of the 32-year-old Ireland goalkeeper leaving Tyneside this month.

Given, who, through his solicitor, has expressed disillusion with events at Newcastle, whom he has served with distinction for 11 years, is adored by the club's supporters, but his departure seems likely. Newcastle have rejected a £500,000 bid from Tottenham Hotspur for Steve Harper, Given's deputy, who is out of contract in the summer.

“I didn't expect to have so many players injured,” Kinnear said. “And I didn't expect to be fighting off so many other clubs to keep our players. I don't want to say more than that on the subject, but these are difficult times.”

The loss of Given or Harper - who, like Michael Owen, the striker, and Nicky Butt, the midfield player, has been offered a new deal on reduced wages and could leave on a free transfer this summer - would further undermine the club's credibility with the fans. Even Kinnear, who was appointed by Mike Ashley, the owner, harbours doubts about the future under the sportswear magnate. In spite of his mediocre record since replacing Kevin Keegan in September, the Irishman has been offered an extended two-year contract by Ashley.

“I have to be aware of which direction the club wants to go in,” said Kinnear, who has offered Colin Calderwood, the former Nottingham Forest manager, a role on his coaching staff.

“There's a fair amount of players we need at the moment and I want to make sure we're in a position to do that. We need to look at the situation and say, 'Where do we go from here?'”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article5549795.ece

Prepare for relegation lads. It's the Ashley strategy.

Guest northwestmag1892

No hindsight at all.

I've been consistant with my view since the day he came back. It was always going to go tits up. It was massive step back.

Ah fair enough.... I won't tar you with quite the same brush, as you are consistent even...

Guest The Libertine
I wonder if this was all done on purpose by a fan of Spurs. "Avin a larf" with his mates Llambias et al in a Larndan boozer one night decides it would be a right larf to buy NUFC and then destroy it along with hurting it's fans by destroying a legendary manager in the process.

should have left it at that.

Guest northwestmag1892

Joe Kinnear fears losing Newcastle's best players

George Caulkin

Joe Kinnear has admitted that he is struggling to retain his best players at Newcastle United, with Manchester City's continuing interest in Shay Given, coupled with a crippling injury list and a lack of progress in the transfer market, altering the dynamics at St James' Park, where disaffection has taken root.

City are set to offer £8million for Given, a sum that would give Kinnear some room for manoeuvre regarding new signings, although he has previously dismissed the possibility of the 32-year-old Ireland goalkeeper leaving Tyneside this month.

Given, who, through his solicitor, has expressed disillusion with events at Newcastle, whom he has served with distinction for 11 years, is adored by the club's supporters, but his departure seems likely. Newcastle have rejected a £500,000 bid from Tottenham Hotspur for Steve Harper, Given's deputy, who is out of contract in the summer.

“I didn't expect to have so many players injured,” Kinnear said. “And I didn't expect to be fighting off so many other clubs to keep our players. I don't want to say more than that on the subject, but these are difficult times.”

The loss of Given or Harper - who, like Michael Owen, the striker, and Nicky Butt, the midfield player, has been offered a new deal on reduced wages and could leave on a free transfer this summer - would further undermine the club's credibility with the fans. Even Kinnear, who was appointed by Mike Ashley, the owner, harbours doubts about the future under the sportswear magnate. In spite of his mediocre record since replacing Kevin Keegan in September, the Irishman has been offered an extended two-year contract by Ashley.

“I have to be aware of which direction the club wants to go in,” said Kinnear, who has offered Colin Calderwood, the former Nottingham Forest manager, a role on his coaching staff.

“There's a fair amount of players we need at the moment and I want to make sure we're in a position to do that. We need to look at the situation and say, 'Where do we go from here?'”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article5549795.ece

Prepare for relegation lads. It's the Ashley strategy.

Ashley's "avin a larf", probably with 'Arry as we speak. Pass the mogadon please...

Guest northwestmag1892

What do you mean?

Guest The Libertine

What do you mean?

this is probably on a par with the thread about ashley wanting us to get relegated.

What do you mean?

this is probably on a par with the thread about ashley wanting us to get relegated.

Yep. :lol:

Truly pathetic.

Guest northwestmag1892

What do you mean?

Probably no

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Truly pathetic.

I don't think it's pathetic. Perhaps you don't agree but I suspect a lot of people don't subscribe to your "truly pathetic" assessment of my take on the Ashley assessment.

To be honest Ashley not being an actual NUFC fan looked at our team on paper and thought we were good. It explains the Smith thing too.  By making this mistake he thought he could build a team from youth upwards and had time on his hands. Not realising that the first team on paper looked good but actually weren`t good enough to keep us up whilst he slowly built a team for the future.

I`m split whilst I think its great what he is doing for the future and how he is being really good with stablising the club he hadn`t correctly assesed the first the team just as he never used due diligence when buying.  I think he is taking a massive gamble hoping the team will just stay up without spending stupid money on average players. Then he wants to add the odd 2 proven players a year (20m) to his devolping youth coming through.

I also think he didn`t realise that no manager would be interested in us.

Then he wants to add the odd 2 proven players a year (20m) to his devolping youth coming through.

I think this is a realy good strategy to be fair, it's just that we needed more urgent surgery in the short-term as well.

Yes we can all see that and knew that before he became owner, but I think thats what he has badly underestimated.

yup, being like arsenal/ajax bringing youth players in is great if you have a decent enough first XI in the first place, which we didn't quite have

Exactly, that was probably Keegans point. I don`t think Ashley was football savy enough to see this and too stupid to listen. By the time he realised it was too late and he lost a chunk of his money. I`m guessing if he must be like a rabbit caught in headlights at the moment and doesnt really know what the fuck to do.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

I`m split whilst I think its great what he is doing for the future and how he is being really good with stablising the club

Fuck me, if this is planning for the future and stabilising the club I'd hate to see him making a complete arse of it.

I`m split whilst I think its great what he is doing for the future and how he is being really good with stablising the club

Fuck me, if this is planning for the future and stabilising the club I'd hate to see him making a complete arse of it.

You have taken that out of context though. That one sentence you have picked goes with the rest of the post mate. I think its good how we arent paying stupid amounts in interest on debt now. I think its good he is trying to sort the wage bill out and its good how he is getting average to good money for players we don`t want. It`s also good he is trying to get players before their value shoots up.

In that same post I have stated where I think he has made a complete arse of it.

Guest black n white

Was it not ashley's strategy to bring in arry redknapp?

Does anybody think it would've been different if he had?

As for bringing KK back was it the fans idea, it could have been Mort or even the media.t

I sometimes wonder if his strategy is to turn us into a southampton/leeds without the debt.

Ie a lower league breeding ground for talent, but then sell them on making a large profit but never achieving anything.

Is it possible to make more money this way than by pushing for the top 6? I doubt it, as we'd need to sell 2 walcott's a year just to match the tv money...

What do you mean?

Truly pathetic.

Credit where it's due.  To top the "relegation" thread is a work of fucking genius.