Late substitutions !!! WHY ?

Guest SLK

I think one of Roeder's cons is that he does tend to leave substitutions late a bit mostly towards the last few minutes of the game which really do not add any value to the team except time wasting and I don't think we have been winning games to be that generous with time wasting...

I really don't understand why Roeder can't make early substitutions around the 70th minute to give the player(s) coming in some reasonable time to make an impact on the game and change the scoreline...I do think we miss Bobby's triple substitution at the 70th minute mark which really helped most of the time to cause an impact on the game especially when you are bringing three players at the same time which is nearly quarter of the team changed in one go...

So do you think that Roeder needs to change things a bit earlier when we seem to be doing nothing and looking lost and run out of ideas...For me is to bring back "Bobby's Triple Subs on the 70th minute"...

I was hoping last Saturday against Charlton that he would make a substitution in or around the 65/70 min mark.. It was obvious we werent going to score in the 2nd half and he left Luque on the bench.

Same against Middlesboro the week before.. Yakubu scores with 5 mins to go THEN Glenn decides to change things.

It is frustrating alright

i think the triple sub bobby did was the most annoyin thing in the world, complete panic move, and it was more like the 75th minute wen he made the subs which i dont think is long enough!

I agree with that.  I hated the triple sub.  But I don't like the 10 min desperation subs by Roeder either.  Common sense would say that the best time is around the hour mark - give players a time to have some impact.

Guest Imperio

Players have to be given time to blood into the game, it's very difficult coming off the bench and getting a feel for the game in 10 minutes or so.

Ideal time is around the 65th-70th minute. Then they have quite a lot of time to have some kind of impact on the result.

Guus Hiddink is the master of substitutions. In the world cup australia were 1-0 down to japan after dominating the game, where he took off two defenders and put on two strikers (josh kennedy & John Aloisi) it worked and australia won 3-1. NOw thats a tactical substitution

I miss the triple sub.

Haha, that was a Bobby classic from 2000-1 season. The amount of times he threw on Glass, Cordone & Lua-Lua together. Remember one game at home to Man U where he brought the 3 on, then within about 5 minutes Cordone pulled it back, Lua-Lua sliced it across goal, and Glass scored to equalise.