Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse...

hakka

Taken from Teamtalk.com...

Toon boss welcomes return of Smith

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear has welcomed the return to fitness of midfielder Alan Smith, who is back in full training with the Magpies.

The former Leeds and Manchester United star is back in training after recovering from an Achilles problem which has sidelined him since August.

Kinnear is happy to have the versatile performer back in the fold as his options have been depleted by a series of injuries to key players.

"He's been out of action for a long time and he is the only player who hasn't been available to me," Kinnear told the Evening Chronicle.

"It's good for him to get back out there and get some action.

"He's been putting in a lot of work behind the scenes and been trying to get back to fitness."

at the end of the day he's another player back from injury which can only be a good thing, regardless of if he's gash or not.

Not if he starts up front instead of a real forward like too many games last season.

i think this is a good thing - we are not in a situation where we can be too selective...

but i do think he is a poor footballer - seems to think aggression is all it takes, makes rash challenges, is a poor passer, never scores, and is not very good position wise - neverthelses we may end up needing him!

at the end of the day he's another player back from injury which can only be a good thing, regardless of if he's gash or not.

Your logic is wise, although cast your mind back to the Alan Smith of last season.  He was fucking useless.  He was actually a hindrance with his persistent chasing of shadows on the pitch compounded by his woeful slide tackles that missed practically all the time (and if they did connect, they were often fouls). He keeps gifting the opposition the chance to side step him and advance. Would love it if he proved me wrong by coming back in and playing well, but sadly I can't see it.  We should have got rid in the summer for any amount.  Worst £60k a week we have ever spent on wages.

Your logic is wise, although cast your mind back to the Alan Smith of last season.  He was f***ing useless.  He was actually a hindrance with his persistent chasing of shadows on the pitch compounded by his woeful slide tackles that missed practically all the time (and if they did connect, they were often fouls). He keeps gifting the opposition the chance to side step him and advance. Would love it if he proved me wrong by coming back in and playing well, but sadly I can't see it.  We should have got rid in the summer for any amount.  Worst £60k a week we have ever spent on wages.

He did play well in that one game against Arsenal, if he can repeat that week in week out he will help us a hell of a lot.

If he is just going to flounder about the picth then, no thanks.

he is a better target man than owen, shola, carroll and viduka, something we need right now

I wouldn't play him as a striker ahead of any of those players. He might be worth a go in Butt's position, that's where Fergie played him in a lot of games.

he is a better target man than owen, shola, carroll and viduka, something we need right now

No he's not

I remember when we played against Blackburn, instead of trying to win the ball in the air Smith kept trying to beat Samba instead, go fo the fucking ball you idiot.

He's just awfull in so many diffrent ways, people keep forgetting that.

Guest Stephen927

Hopefully he and the fans see his return from injury as a fresh start. He isn't going to pull up any trees but he's another body back from injury.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Remember when Butt had a spell of better form than his usual? Smith can't come back as bad as he was the first time round, because that would possibly make him the worst signing of all time.

I remember an FA cup game against a lower league team (can't remember who exactly) we drew 0-0 with Smith in centre midfield. He was massively outclassed by these players and it was truly one of the worst performances in recent memory. If he comes back that bad I struggle to think of a player who's been so bad for so much dollar.

Guest marky555

He is awful. Brings absolutely nothing to the team. He doesnt have a position, and when people say he is versatile and can play in a number of positions, no he cant. Managers in the past have tried to play him in different positions but it hasnt worked, especially when he's been here.

He simply has no position.

He can't shoot.

He can't defend.

He can't pass.

His legs have gone.

The red card away at Man Utd summed his attitude up last season the prick.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

His legs have gone.

Has never stopped Butt getting a start like

Butt never really had legs; carried in a great team and now his basic motor functions have ceased to exist, I'd be suprised if there was any brain activity under that fat ginger skull of his.

He is awful. Brings absolutely nothing to the team. He doesnt have a position, and when people say he is versatile and can play in a number of positions, no he cant. Managers in the past have tried to play him in different positions but it hasnt worked, especially when he's been here.

He simply has no position.

He can't shoot.

He can't defend.

He can't pass.

His legs have gone.

The red card away at Man Utd summed his attitude up last season the prick.

Alan Smith is Mr Versatile!

He's shit in every position.