February 4th - New Open NUSC Meeting - Download link (most of it) in OP

Tom_NUFC

If this weekend goes badly, and we dont do much in the window, guess the meeting will be about protests?

Because they done a lot of good last time.

i just bumped it, cos they just been on legends promoting it.

The protests almost got him selling up,

If Ashley wasnt a cunt, he would have sold up to the abu dhabi people after the protests.

He May as well sell up, he is Financially, and managerially, out of his depth.

Abu Dhabi already owned Man City when the protests happened.

If this weekend goes badly, and we dont do much in the window, guess the meeting will be about protests?

If Ashley wasnt a cunt, he would have sold up to the abu dhabi people after the protests.

Stop nit-picking.

Stop nit-picking.

im not one for letting details get in the way of my opinions tbh.

Guest neesy111

if that cockney mafia banner is shown again during a match, then we deserve to go down

what kind of a effect is that going to have on a team

Guest fading star

if that cockney mafia banner is shown again during a match, then we deserve to go down

what kind of a effect is that going to have on a team

None at all.

Have put this in here because he is talking about the NUSC.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/02/the-biggest-dan.html

February 03, 2009

The biggest danger facing Newcastle is apathy

George Caulkin

This has been a bleak season for Newcastle United and it could still become bleaker, yet amid the turmoil and the departures, the controversy, the numbing performances, the concern, the mess and the self-inflicted mishaps, hope is shimmering. It is a delicate, fragile sort of hope, encircled by thorns, but it is there, nonetheless. It requires assiduous nurturing.

It will come as little surprise that events on the pitch, which have been largely miserable, have not prompted this spark of optimism. It will come as absolutely no surprise that nothing which has taken place in the manager’s office or the boardroom, where mixed messages continue to thrive, has contributed to it. As usual, it has emanated from the stands.     

The media perpetuate two myths about Newcastle supporters; that they are impatient and that they are perennially militant. Both are wrong. Quite how fans who have had no domestic trophy to cheer since 1955 and none at all since 1969 can be accused of impatience has never been clear – decent football and a committed team are hardly outrageous demands - and the militancy thing is simply nonsense.

During the less inspiring moments of Freddy Shepherd’s tenure as chairman – and there were plenty to choose from – episodes of outright dissent were rare. Perhaps that was because there were other divisive figures to rival directors, whether unpopular managers (appointed by Shepherd) or fractious players (bought by him), but mainly because of loyalty. Loyalty almost to a fault.

People may have a mental image of teenage Geordies bouncing outside St James’ Park in front of the television cameras waving their shoes in the air, but that is not representative. The protests which accompanied the 2-1 home defeat to Hull City in September, shortly after the exit of Kevin Keegan and which precipitated Mike Ashley’s decision to sell the club were vibrant and raw, but also untypical.

But Ashley, of course, is staying (at least until a buyer emerges) and things have not got any better on Tyneside. A relegation battle is being fought by a small squad and the transfer window saw two senior players leave including, in Shay Given, a world-class goalkeeper with a passion for the club, but a loathing for all the chaos. Only three signings arrived; Newcastle, shamefully, made an £8m profit on their dealings.

Derek Llambias, the perma-smirking managing director, from whom nothing has been heard, will finally break his silence late this week, answering questions, sent in by readers, to two local newspapers, but a far more significant exchange of views will take place elsewhere. On Wednesday at 7pm, in the Tyneside Irish Centre, Newcastle’s soul will be wrestled over.

The Newcastle United Supporters Club (NUSC), an independent body designed to represent fans and challenge the club (and in spite of quotes attributed elsewhere, it is the only organisation of its type), was established in the aftermath of Keegan’s departure. Still in its infancy, it needs legitimacy, backing and members. It has spokesmen and issues press releases, but it is not staffed by people who crave attention for the sake of it.

Influential fanzines and websites like The Mag, nufc.com and true faith have offered guidance, financial and philosophical, to the NUSC, but none have a wish to set or control the agenda. What it will ultimately be and could become is still up for debate; yes, there should be principled and serious opposition to Ashley, but what are the wider issues? Where would it go post Ashley?

The biggest danger facing Newcastle at present is not relegation. It is not their billionaire owner. It is not Dennis Wise. And it is not anger, impatience or militancy. It is apathy. For home matches, attendances have often been 5,000 below capacity and after years of heartache and underachievement, there is widespread muttering about season tickets not being renewed, of hope finally being extinguished.

But it is there. If supporters have less power than they used to, they still have some and those who step out into the freezing weather and head for the Irish Centre will be reclaiming their club. Membership of the NUSC is not required. As they put it themselves, they wish to “establish some common ground. Bring with you your thoughts, your anger, your hope, your ideas, your wants, your needs.”

The NUSC has already promoted a boycott of official club merchandise and has written to Ashley to request a meeting, anywhere in the country, on his terms, simply to discern his plans for Newcastle. As they anticipated, their letter was ignored. But the greater the numbers, the louder the voices, the more difficult it will be for ears to be blocked. There is hope for Newcastle; it just needs seeking out.

I want to go purely for comedy value.

Will you stand on the stage and tell them that?

Na I'd rather stick to sitting at the back like a bitch making snidey comments.

You May be clueless about football, but at least i admire your honesty.

I want to go purely for comedy value.

Will you stand on the stage and tell them that?

Na I'd rather stick to sitting at the back like a bitch making snidey comments.

You May be clueless about football, but at least i admire your honesty.

don't get the chelping about NUSC myself, what's the crack like?  sounds to me they're just a bunch of fans wanting to organise a bit, no?  fine they may not be the most articulate bunch in the world but why take the piss out of them?  they'll achieve a fucksite more than we ever will on this website analysing finances or deals that went wrong, or speculating who was right or wrong in the KK vs Wise confrontation no-one even knows happened

the banner was/is ill advised imo but the fact is we're dying on our knees as a club, not literally, but we're going down without a fight and i don't think that should stand

fair play to these lads for having a go imo, if i was in the uk i'd be there...

in fact while i think on maybe some of the people who "support" ashley after analysing the accounts in such detail on this site should go and explain the same thing to a group a fans who maybe don't know the ins and outs...i suspect, however, they'll not

Guest Howaythetoon

Newcastle fans will never have a proper supporters club be it NUSC or any other organisation because there is no fight among the wider fan base sadly. Indeed it is quite remarkable in many ways that the often derided Toon Ultras  have went from an idea to a supporters club of some description with a few years behind it and NUSC will be damn lucky to reach a similar milestone in the current climate where fans in general just can't be arsed, and that's across the country too and not just at our own club. Yet ironically more and more fans are bemoaning everything to do with the game and their respective clubs with the general consensus being that we've all lost our clubs and the game we all love is f***ed.

I applaud any fan who gets off their arse to try and do something positive for their club or fellow fans regardless of how misguided or the chances of success and it pisses me off no end when fellow fans deride such efforts. But that's the society we now live in, its cool to mock, point and put others down.

As far as I can tell these lads and lasses behind NUSC have the club's best intentions in mind and at heart and could do with a bigger groundswell of if not exactly support then fans at least siding with the idea of a supporters club and getting themselves involved, because god knows we need one, every club does. 

Before we know it we will have really lost our club and the game we all love really will be f***ed.

In the form of NUSC and the amazing medium of the internet we have a rare chance as fans to get together outside of supporting the club on the stands and to perhaps positively influence the future of our club one day, and what do we do?

Here's one answer:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,54870.0.html

It's indicative that the above thread has more replies than this one or others like it...

Newcastle fans will never have a proper supporters club be it NUSC or any other organisation because there is no fight among the wider fan base sadly. Indeed it is quite remarkable in many ways that the often derided Toon Ultras  have went from an idea to a supporters club of some description with a few years behind it and NUSC will be damn lucky to reach a similar milestone in the current climate where fans in general just can't be arsed, and that's across the country too and not just at our own club. Yet ironically more and more fans are bemoaning everything to do with the game and their respective clubs with the general consensus being that we've all lost our clubs and the game we all love is f***ed.

I applaud any fan who gets off their arse to try and do something positive for their club or fellow fans regardless of how misguided or the chances of success and it pisses me off no end when fellow fans deride such efforts. But that's the society we now live in, its cool to mock, point and put others down.

As far as I can tell these lads and lasses behind NUSC have the club's best intentions in mind and at heart and could do with a bigger groundswell of if not exactly support then fans at least siding with the idea of a supporters club and getting themselves involved, because god knows we need one, every club does. 

Before we know it we will have really lost our club and the game we all love really will be f***ed.

In the form of NUSC and the amazing medium of the internet we have a rare chance as fans to get together outside of supporting the club on the stands and to perhaps positively influence the future of our club one day, and what do we do?

Here's one answer:

It's indicative that the above thread has more replies than this one or others like it...

The Toon Ultras succeeded because theirs was a positive constructive movement which everyone could connect with. The NUSC still comes across as an anit-Ashley lobby group. Maybe this is unfair, but I still haven't heard of any ideas that they bring which can fix the mess the club is in. The club needs finance and heavy investment, is that something NUSC can help with or plans to be able to address in the future? I'll be interested to see if any answers to these questions will be provided at the meeting.

Guest Howaythetoon

Here's one answer:

The Toon Ultras succeeded because theirs was a positive constructive movement which everyone could connect with. The NUSC still comes across as an anit-Ashley lobby group. Maybe this is unfair, but I still haven't heard of any ideas that they bring which can fix the mess the club is in. The club needs finance and heavy investment, is that something NUSC can help with or plans to be able to address in the future? I'll be interested to see if any answers to these questions will be provided at the meeting.

Why not go along and ask them yourself?