Dealing with financial difficulty, David Moyes

timnufc22

The accounts from last year reveal how money is tight and why Ashley is reluctant to spend much on players, which is more understandable. It also probably shows why he brought in the recruitment team to keep spending in check and as tight as possible.

Everton were, and have been for a long time, in the same financial difficulty, losing money and basically cash-strapped. They instead chose to appoint, in their judgement, a good manager, obviously explained about being cash-strapped, and put their faith in him to do a good job & his judgement.

Look whats happened - he's built his own team, signing really well, and turned them into a side challenging the top 6 more often than not, and its very much a David Moyes team & a David Moyes club.

He didn’t need Dennis Wise, because he's a quality manager, and if that’s the case, it speaks for itself. I don’t think David Moyes would very chuffed if Dennis Wise came back with Xisco after asking for a left back, but again, not that he'd accept that position anyway.

Imo its the perfect example - have an understanding with your manager from the outset, then have total faith in him doing the job.

And an example of the manager getting the best out of players.

As I've said before elsewhere half our side are better than Everton's in terms of individual ability, but it is the brilliance of Moyes both motivationally and tactically that yields the results and the performances.

After Ferguson, he's by far and away the best British manager in employment, and up there with Robson and Keegan in terms of best British manager in the last twenty years.

Guest Stephen927

He's done a marvelous job on what has largely been a shoestring budget. Hasn't always been clean sailing for him but you have to respect that they kept with him when the going got tough and they are now reaping the rewards.

It's a great theory, but can you imagine him still being here after finishing 17th one season when most on here call for a managers head after losing one game?

Hes also been given time when things were very rough, which is something we've rarely ever done..

That's the key, but the difficult thing is - how do you know when someone should be given time and will turn it around, and when they're just shit?

I guess thats when the chairman's judgement comes into it.....although freddy and mike can't judge correctly to save their lives. Its also much easier to take the risk when your club is relatively safe during most of the season.

Hes also been given time when things were very rough, which is something we've rarely ever done..

That's the key, but the difficult thing is - how do you know when someone should be given time and will turn it around, and when they're just shit?

In our case I'm pretty convinced our managers were just shit.

In our case I'm pretty convinced our managers were just shit.

I am as well, I always disagree with people who say Allardyce should have been given more time.

It's a great theory, but can you imagine him still being here after finishing 17th one season when most on here call for a managers head after losing one game?

:nope: not a chance.

Not unless the owner does not care about being popular with the fans and just sticks with a manager they believe in. Looks like we need this kind of manager like Moyes who can manage on a shoestring and steadily improve until such time that the club is in a healthier financial position. This could take a few years and would take patience that I do not believe our fans have got enough of. Most fans of most clubs are the same now, but some owners are prepared to take the wrath of the fans for the short term, while quietly building for the longer term.

:nope: not a chance.

Not unless the owner does not care about being popular with the fans and just sticks with a manager they believe in. Looks like we need this kind of manager like Moyes who can manage on a shoestring and steadily improve until such time that the club is in a healthier financial position. This could take a few years and would take patience that I do not believe our fans have got enough of. Most fans of most clubs are the same now, but some owners are prepared to take the wrath of the fans for the short term, while quietly building for the longer term.

To be honest that's the key, I'm the first to say our fans expect too much and turn against the club/team too easily, but at the end of the day it's up to the people in charge to see past that and stick to their long term plan.

No club can be run pandering to the changing whims of the fans.