Geremi as cover for right back

TRon

Has Joe missed a trick with this one? Geremi was outstanding there in the African Nations cup, and Jose used him there for Chelsea.

With our finances stretched to the limit, are we making the best of the resources we have got?

Liverpool at home last season springs to mind, although he was a wing-back I believe. Hard to tell what Big Sam's tactics were that day. Although he hasn't got the legs anymore to be able to track up and down.

Has Joe missed a trick with this one? Geremi was outstanding there in the African Nations cup, and Jose used him there for Chelsea.

At first I could not remember Gezza at ANC 2008 but quick look at http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/12022008/58/african-cup-nations-team-tournament.html refreshed my memory. He will do a better job than Edgar, he would need the legs of Jonas in front of him though.

With our finances stretched to the limit, are we making the best of the resources we have got?

I've said it all season and I agree completely.

I think it would help Gutierrez get into better positions higher up the pitch also Geremi's best deliveries are normally from deep.

Edgar shouldn't be anywhere near the team in position or out of position simply not good enough nor should Taylor be playing right back for different reasons.

Geremi is so slow and un-agile its scary. Any current premier league left winger would have a field day against him. At least Edgar has some idea of how to use his body and tackle. Geremi doesn't have the speed or energy to get up and down the flank either, similar to Stephen Carr. Would be horrific if he was played at right back.

Guest Stephen927

I think right back is Geremi's best position nowadays for this league.

Has got a decent cross on him, with Gutierrez on the same flank he could provide the deep ball which Gutierrez never seems keen on.

Solano did a good job there and with Geremi playing there for Chelsea and the national team you would think it would be a straight choice for him to slot in there in the absence of Beye, but our second midfield options are pretty slim too atm.

I think right back is Geremi's best position nowadays for this league.

Has got a decent cross on him, with Gutierrez on the same flank he could provide the deep ball which Gutierrez never seems keen on.

Solano did a good job there and with Geremi playing there for Chelsea and the national team you would think it would be a straight choice for him to slot in there in the absence of Beye, but our second midfield options are pretty slim too atm.

That's how I read it, obviously next couple of games he might be needed in midfield (though I'd personally start zog ahead of him in that role) but usually he isn't a starter there so there is the option that he could cover Beye's position. He was outstanding at RB during the ANC and he's played that role at Chelsea even though Jose knew he isn't the quickest. His passing and link up play is much better than Taylor or Edgar so what you lose in strength you gain in skill and intelligence.

It's all very well complaining about injuries but other clubs have even less resources and seem to find a way to get by. Hull reserves have coped with us pretty well this season.