French players and NUFC

LooneyToonArmy

what is it about French players and Newcastle? Just about every one we sign ends up moaning to the press (bar Sibierski!), complains about something , request transfers and end up leaving in 1 way or another. Something about their mentality when they come here or the north east air?

Didier Domi, Franck Dumas, Sylvain Distin, Stephane Guivarc'h, David Ginola, Laurent Charvet, Laurent Robert, Charles N'Zogbia, Olivier Bernard, Alain Goma, Jean Alain Boumsong...

what is it about French players and Newcastle? Just about every one we sign ends up moaning to the press (bar Sibierski!), complains about something , request transfers and end up leaving in 1 way or another. Something about their mentality when they come here or the north east air?

Didier Domi, Franck Dumas, Sylvain Distin, Stephane Guivarc'h, David Ginola, Laurent Charvet, Laurent Robert, Charles N'Zogbia, Olivier Bernard, Alain Goma, Jean Alain Boumsong...

Don't most players?

Don't most players?

:lol:

Daft thread. Bassong, and a few of the ones you listed all fine.

Habib Beye seems to have a canny attitude.

He's Senegalese...

Don't most players?

Still the honeymoon period for NUFC and Bassong man......give it time and the ranting to the press will start ;)

Don't most players?

He's Senegalese...

Culturally french.

I think we have been unlucky with most of the French players we have bought, but some of the big boys in Premership have good French players, Makelle was a great player. Sagna at Arsenal is class. Our own Beye is quality, lets just hope Ebondo is in this bracket  O0 By the way Beye was born in Paris, so hs is French

Don't most players?

He's Senegalese...

Culturally french.

So we should count Nigerian players as "English"?

In my opinion, most of them are unsuited to life in the NE ; only Ginola and Robert could be classed as 'successes' and even then, only for a limited period.

Back in the late 60s. we had Benny Arentoft, a Dane, who settled in so well that he was an invaluable cog in the successful Fairs Cup side of 69 - before that, we had the Robledos from Chile, both of whom did well, esp George whose goal tally in one season was only surpassed by Andy Cole in 94...

All this in the days before most teams had ANY foreign players ; the French have something of a superiority complex about their culture, and they all fancy themselves as cool metropolitan types(heaven only knows why..!!).Most of them do OK in London because it is that sort of place, so they are round pegs in square holes in the NE.

Despite falling out with Gullit, and being unimpressed by the Board at the time, Didi Hammann settled well in the area and he, of course, was German...N.Europeans will always be a better bet in the NE than French players.

Don't most players?

He's Senegalese...

Culturally french.

So we should count Nigerian players as "English"?

I meant he's lived there most of his life. And apparently was born in Paris, so Beye is officially on the list.

In my opinion, most of them are unsuited to life in the NE ; only Ginola and Robert could be classed as 'successes' and even then, only for a limited period.

Back in the late 60s. we had Benny Arentoft, a Dane, who settled in so well that he was an invaluable cog in the successful Fairs Cup side of 69 - before that, we had the Robledos from Chile, both of whom did well, esp George whose goal tally in one season was only surpassed by Andy Cole in 94...

All this in the days before most teams had ANY foreign players ; the French have something of a superiority complex about their culture, and they all fancy themselves as cool metropolitan types(heaven only knows why..!!).Most of them do OK in London because it is that sort of place, so they are round pegs in square holes in the NE.

Despite falling out with Gullit, and being unimpressed by the Board at the time, Didi Hammann settled well in the area and he, of course, was German...N.Europeans will always be a better bet in the NE than French players.

Marseille is one of the roughest cities in Europe. Huge working class population with its own distinct culture and accent at the opposite end of the country to the capital. Sound familiar?

Marseille is one of the roughest cities in Europe. Huge working class population with its own distinct culture and accent at the opposite end of the country to the capital. Sound familiar?

The immigrant/French demographic is completely unlike Newcastle, though.

I wasnt drawing an exact parallel, just highlighting points of connection and saying that, unlike Merlin's view, i dont think all french people (especially from the south) can be characterised by the snobby attitudes of those in the North.

I wasnt drawing an exact parallel, just highlighting points of connection and saying that, unlike Merlin's view, i dont think all french people (especially from the south) can be characterised by the snobby attitudes of those in the North.

Yeah, I know what you're saying: they're not all Parisians. OTOH, if you're coming out of the North African milieu of Marseilles (or even the Paris banlieue, come to that), the north-east can't really seem that familiar either.

This thread has been commissioned by Channel 4.  :pow:

Yeah, I know what you're saying: they're not all Parisians. OTOH, if you're coming out of the North African milieu of Marseilles (or even the Paris banlieue, come to that), the north-east can't really seem that familiar either.

:lol:  pretentious?  me?

Moi?  :iamatwat:

Moi?  :iamatwat:

er, yeah, i know man...not likely to know that phrase and put "me" unless on purpose am i?

I meant not really consistent with 'cool metropolitan types who can only relate to life in London'.