Steve Harper signs three-year contract extension

SUPERTOON

Official

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1534784,00.html

Breaking News: Harps Commits Toon Future

NEWCASTLE United goalkeeper Steve Harper has signed a three-year contract extension keeping him at the Club until the end of the 2011/12 season.

The Easington-born star joined the Magpies from Seaham Red Star in 1993 and has gone to make 111 appearances for the Geordies.

And a delighted Harps told nufc.co.uk: "I'm a North East lad and Newcastle United has always been a huge part of my life and I'm delighted that will continue.

"At the end of this contract I will have been at Newcastle for 19 seasons which is more than half of my life so that shows how much this club always meant to me.

"I'm delighted it's sorted and now I can concentrate on doing what I have always done which is working hard in training and push my claims for regular first-team football."

Bye Shay.

Guest neesy111

good news i regard him just a highly as shay

now time to cash in on shay and use the money where it is really needed for a new CM

Good news I suppose.

Yep considering at one point last week both looked like going. Also better than signing David James.

I'd take James over Harper if it didn't restrict the development of one of our youngsters.

Guest neesy111

we need to start giving krul and forster there chances, they are the future and have bright future's imo especially forster who is touted as being an england international

if we don't give them chance's they will leave

Good news I suppose.

Yep considering at one point last week both looked like going. Also better than signing David James.

I'd take James over Harper if it didn't restrict the development of one of our youngsters.

David James, with our back four, his mentality in front of our fans would not be a good mix.

Harper, Krul, Forster, Soderberg will do me as far as 'keepers go - but we have to get £10M+ for Given, whether it be in pure cash or in cash/player/s.

Maybe Harper will finally get the #1 shirt next season, hope he does the business for us.

we need to start giving krul and forster there chances, they are the future and have bright future's imo especially forster who is touted as being an england international

if we don't give them chance's they will leave

They won't even contemplate leaving now. It'll only take an injury to Harper and they'll be playing, they can't ask for any more than that, especially at their age. The competition between those 2 has now begun, so I can't wait to see how they get on.

I'm so glad Steve has signed, he's finally got his wish at being number one now and I'm very happy for him.

Just fingers crossed we can strengthen our midfield now, on top of other positions if possible :)

There's no reason why Harper shouldn't now go onto win an England Call-up. You could say his best years are ahead of him, we've only recently saw Shay hit his peak and Harper is around the same age.

Well we'd hope so but I think Steve needs a good half season of 1st team games before he'd even be considered. Now is his time to shine.

Guest Heneage

He should be in and around the England squad if he stays in the team once Given leaves - I'd love nothing more for him to go to the World Cup, even as a third choice.

He's never had a chance and it always amazed me, he seems ideal for World Cup, goes months without playing comes in and does a job.

if shay goes, which looks likely.

this makes it less "painful" if u wanna call it that..

he is more than capable for being our number one for the 3 years ahead.

gives the likes of krul and co a better chance too now

Guest fading star

There's no reason why Harper shouldn't now go onto win an England Call-up. You could say his best years are ahead of him, we've only recently saw Shay hit his peak and Harper is around the same age.

Or get injured at Man City and not play again this season.