Newcastle are all over the shop defensively

gray

I'd say when we have no right back we are a bit suspect in defence, but nowhere near all over the place.  With our first choice defence we look quite solid at the back.  Though it could be argued that when they say "defensively" they mean how the team defends as a whole.

Beye----Coloccini---Bassong----Enrique = a decent back four, at least compared to what we had in recent years. Any of those players gets injured and it seems to fall apart.

I do agree that our general problem with our defending is down largely to our midfielders (and Enrique) giving the ball away too easily.

We did have a run a while back where we were hard to score against, but that's when the back four above were all fit and Barton was playing in CM, so I feel a bit more confident with Barton back in the team.

Defensively we are average but whereas other teams get protection from their midfielders ours doesn't aside from Chelsea away and as a result the defence looks shite.

Given, Beye, Colo, Shirly Bassy & Jose are good enough for a top 8 team, its very much let down by the soft centre in the middle of the park.

A brave and wise man would put Colo in Butt's position, think Colo is weak in the air for a central defender but not for a DMC, in fact he's got the right tools for the job. Even with out of form Taylor back in there at CB with COlo in front of him we'd be a better team defensively.

Defensively we are average but whereas other teams get protection from their midfielders ours doesn't aside from Chelsea away and as a result the defence looks shite.

Given, Beye, Colo, Shirly Bassy & Jose are good enough for a top 8 team, its very much let down by the soft centre in the middle of the park.

A brave and wise man would put Colo in Butt's position, think Colo is weak in the air for a central defender but not for a DMC, in fact he's got the right tools for the job. Even with out of form Taylor back in there at CB with COlo in front of him we'd be a better team defensively.

If we get this new RB in i think Colo in Butts role would be a good idea.

New Guy - Taylor - Bassong - Jose

Coloccini

Jonas              Barton            Zog

He can't do any worse than Butt really.

Garbage really, the defence is the best we've had for years.

The problem is, and has been since SBR left, the midfield is incapable of retaining or winning the ball.  So even when we're in possession we've got to expect that at any moment the ball is going to come flying back towards our defence.  At some point concentration breaks, a player stumbles, a pass is misplaced and the opposition is through.

Why did we have a more successful defence when we had players like Dabizas, O'Brien, Hughes, etc.?

Because we had a good midfield.

Defence of Beye Coloccini Bassong Enrique is fine, just needs a decent midfield to support them.

Every supporter of the club can see it but how the f*** the board or coaching staff can't see it? Defence is good and very much capable to perform at this level when given some decent protection and cover in front of them. Just looking at the current selection of our midfielders capable of playing a central role is shocking(execpt Barton and maybe Guthrie)...Butt, Geremi, (N'Zogbia)

To be honest i dont rate Colocinni massively from his showing in the prem so far.

Bassong yes class & has proved himself, Beye yes class and has proved himself.

Colocinni...10 mill and has....er.....not made as many mistakes when Bassongs been around him.

Not good enough for me really. I very very rarely if ever see a moment where i think "well played colo". I think that about the others, even Enrique a few times recently.

Our main issue though is lack of balance in the centre. Its always two defensively minded centre mids who cant put in a good through ball......butt, guthrie even cacapa was tried there. Its all defensive and crap.

Even Barton has a defensive mentality mainly, but he can atleast thread through a nice ball....we're so much better with him in the side. We just need an attacking option in the middle to link it up a bit, we're far far better on the attack.

To be honest i dont rate Colocinni massively from his showing in the prem so far.

Bassong yes class & has proved himself, Beye yes class and has proved himself.

Colocinni...10 mill and has....er.....not made as many mistakes when Bassongs been around him.

Not good enough for me really. I very very rarely if ever see a moment where i think "well played colo". I think that about the others, even Enrique a few times recently.

Our main issue though is lack of balance in the centre. Its always two defensively minded centre mids who cant put in a good through ball......butt, guthrie even cacapa was tried there. Its all defensive and crap.

Even Barton has a defensive mentality mainly, but he can atleast thread through a nice ball....we're so much better with him in the side. We just need an attacking option in the middle to link it up a bit, we're far far better on the attack.

Me too. He lacks real height and and fails in terms of strength, therefore he needs to be sharp in his reading of the game, which so far has been average for him and poor to what i expected. It's been difficult times though at the back, but when a relative unknown cheap signing shines through then questions need to be asked of Colo's ability, its not as good as some on here think.

We are all over the shop defensively, but it isn't about the individual defenders, it's about the team as a whole (Nicky Butt)

:thup:

We were conceding goals from corners for fun against Liverpool, and that definitely isn't (only) about the individual defenders.