Roberto Martinez

Mr. Snrub

Thoughts?

In 2 years he's won League 1 with Swansea and now got them 1 point off a play off spot in the Championship, developing a good cup run aswell, winning convincingly away to a Premiership team.

Everyone goes on about how Shearer should prove his worth in the lower leagues before he should become manager with us, well that's exactly what Martinez has done.  Young, hungry manager who's got a team playing some really good football.

The fact is, we are no longer a club that will attract a top class manager.  I think Martinez would be a decent shout as our next boss.

well, i would take anything at the moment...

Allerdyce got us playing defensively sound football (really boring but not great in any way)

Keegan got us playing some sort of attacking football (a little exciting but not great in any way)

Mr  :kinnear: got us playing backgammon...

so yes, i would take him :)

and yes, we probably we wouldnt get any high profile proven ones anyway (high profile yes, proven... no), so young hungry, known for aggressive football... sounds like a deal for me! :D (im getting desperate)

Allerdyce got us playing defensively sound football (really boring but not great in any way)

Keegan got us playing some sort of attacking football (a little exciting but not great in any way)

and yes, we probably we wouldnt get any high profile proven ones anyway (high profile yes, proven... no), so young hungry, known for aggressive football... sounds like a deal for me! :D (im getting desperate)

I'm going to be devastated the day that smiley doesn't make me laugh.

Didn't Robson suggest Martinez after we got rid of Roeder/Allardyce?

Probably would be a good shout as our next boss given that we'll be in the Championship by the time we change managers. :razz:

If we're appointing somebody new this season then it's Steve Bruce every time for me.

It's great what he's acheived at Swansea - but it's completely different to keeping a massive club like Newcastle in the Premiership. Would be a massive, massive gamble. What's his history? Has he even played in the Premier League? He's only been in management a few years as it is!

I wouldn't be keen tbh. Not that we're actively looking for a new manager, he'd be well down my pecking order.

One plus point is that his last name is Gutierrez, however. :thup:

I remember I and  a few others suggested him as KK`S replacement at the time. I think he`d fit into this supposed `continental system` that Wise/Ashley are trying to operate.

Anyways, I` not sure he`d be given a chance here and many fans would be up in arms at the thought of appointing a lower league manager.

Bobby Martinez is brilliant!! He's exactly the type of appointment this club has been scared of making for years, And thats why we should do it.

It would signal a new direction for the club and eventually......world domination!!

I'd love Martinez, Houllier, Van Gaal or Shearer tbh.

Where are people getting these ridiculously high estimations about the guy from? You'd like League 1 Champion Martinez, but you'd settle for Champions League winner Louis Van Gaal? What? How is he even in the same category? ???

Dunno, coming across a bit arsey here i guess but i honestly can't understand the hype. He probably won League 1 cos he's got some cash at Swansea and knows the nationwide leagues inside out; he's played for Wigan, Walsall, Chester and Swansea. Bound to have some sort of nouse about those leagues.

If those who are advocating his appointment are referring to NOW... then there's something going wrong imo. Would be a humongous risk. Remember Paul Ince? :undecided:

Where are people getting these ridiculously high estimations about the guy from? You'd like League 1 Champion Martinez, but you'd settle for Champions League winner Louis Van Gaal? What? How is he even in the same category? ???

Dunno, coming across a bit arsey here i guess but i honestly can't understand the hype. He probably won League 1 cos he's got some cash at Swansea and knows the nationwide leagues inside out; he's played for Wigan, Walsall, Chester and Swansea. Bound to have some sort of nouse about those leagues.

If those who are advocating his appointment are referring to NOW... then there's something going wrong imo. Would be a humongous risk. Remember Paul Ince? :undecided:

I'd want them for different reasons, really. Martinez and Shearer are exciting because of their age and potential as managers, whereas houllier and van gaal are immensely experienced. it depends what you want in a manager really, and also what state the club will be in come summertime. basically, as long as its not JFK haha

Guest Heneage

I just couldn't see the likes of N'Zogbia, Owen, and any bigger players respecting him, its sad but true. It would be a matter of time before someone in the squad called him "A Journeyman fizzy pop player".

If its all we can attract then so be it, but a play at Van Gaal may work.

and also, for every disaster - like paul ince - theres a david moyes. fact is, there ARE some lower leagues managers who are ready for the step up, its just a matter of identifying whom. but as nixon says, will the big ego's take them seriously?

I'm going to be devastated the day that smiley doesn't make me laugh.

Didn't Robson suggest Martinez after we got rid of Roeder/Allardyce?

what's the dogs head all about then? 

I just couldn't see the likes of N'Zogbia, Owen, and any bigger players respecting him, its sad but true. It would be a matter of time before someone in the squad called him "A Journeyman fizzy pop player".

If its all we can attract then so be it, but a play at Van Gaal may work.

and Owen and Nzogbia where your best examples?

Mr. I dont want to sign the bloody contract because im "considering" my options! (bastard)

or Mr. I have been here to long, please send me to Wolverhampton so i can develop as a player?

Nzogbia who have been whining for several years...

Owen who should have signed that bloody contract ages ago? (with a wagecut!)

i dont think any model pro football player would call their manager a fizzy pop player, however that would be quite funny....

but as Ketsebaia nicely put it...

I'd want them for different reasons, really. Martinez and Shearer are exciting because of their age and potential as managers, whereas houllier and van gaal are immensely experienced. it depends what you want in a manager really, and also what state the club will be in come summertime. basically, as long as its not JFK haha

:kinnear: :no: :idiot2:

Have to say Swansea play some cracking stuff, and he hasn't had much dough to spend even relative to the level he is batting at.

Its fair to say that the likes of Zog may scoff at being trained by a 'journeyman fizzy pop player/manager', but respect can very quickly be built up on actions by the person in the job.

I've no doubt he would represent a worthwhile risk

Been to see Swansea a few times. Three times this season (live) and whenever they are on TV. Off to see them Again April 11th (vs Ipswich, I'm in Swansea for a stag weekend so may aswell take in a game!).

They play the best football in Britain IMO and I read a statistic somewhere that the have completed more passes than any other team in the English leagues and are second only to Arsenal is pass attempts. If we got Martinez I would be over the moon (unlike my boss, currently sitting opposite me and is a Swansea ST holder and lifelong fan... He doesn't know I'm typing this!)

A young ambitious manager who has a firm belief in playing football the right way, can't really ask for anymore.

Thoughts?

In 2 years he's won League 1 with Swansea and now got them 1 point off a play off spot in the Championship, developing a good cup run aswell, winning convincingly away to a Premiership team.

Everyone goes on about how Shearer should prove his worth in the lower leagues before he should become manager with us, well that's exactly what Martinez has done.  Young, hungry manager who's got a team playing some really good football.

The fact is, we are no longer a club that will attract a top class manager.  I think Martinez would be a decent shout as our next boss.

Your signature is beautiful.

Cracking manager, young and ambitious. Would be great for this club and a million times better than the useless manager we have now. Personally i'd rather ashley save his money now and give it to a guy like martinez instead in the summer. On a depressing note IF we do go down he'd be a cracking manager to get us back into the top flight!

He is a brilliant manager, being from Swansea I have seen the Swans quite a bit this season and at times the football has been great.

Martinez is pretty single minded though. Even though Swansea play excellent attacking football he sticks to the 4-5-1 formation. At times it may have been better to go with 2 up top and I am not sure how patient as fans we would be with him if things weren't going so well and he sticks to his guns.

At the moment I would definately take him over what we got.

He is up to the job of a Premiership manager would he get the backing he needs from the Newcastle board. In Swansea he is a legend, the board treat him with the utmost respect and the fans love him.

Have to say Swansea play some cracking stuff, and he hasn't had much dough to spend even relative to the level he is batting at.

Its fair to say that the likes of Zog may scoff at being trained by a 'journeyman fizzy pop player/manager', but respect can very quickly be built up on actions by the person in the job.

I've no doubt he would represent a worthwhile risk

I'm sure SJH mentioned him as a future manager in waiting and spoke very highly of him when Allardyce was sacked. Untested but he does have very good ideas about the way the game should be played.