Is it time for the younger players?

Syrette

On the one hand it would be a risk of epic proportions - throwing inexperienced players in to the deep end as it were, faced with enormous pressure, a poor manager and a club in freefall. Whether they are physically up to it is a lot easier to work out now than it would be to work out how they would be mentally.

I'd also have to ask, exactly how good are they? Would they really improve on those that are already out there? Ranger to use the most obvious example is doing well at youth and reserve level but as we've seen so many times before that doesn't mean he'd make the step up. On the other hand, I'd have said the exact same about Carroll until very recently. Maybe he doesn't have the talent but he most certainly has the desire and that has brought us a couple of goals and a different attacking threat.

On the other hand, a few of them have notable potential (even if the likes of Kadar are injured) and could indeed cut it at first team level. They'd have a lot more to prove and would be far more up for it than some of the other wasters we've got about the club (even if the most miserable of those is hopefully off sooner rather than later).

So, I'm unsure of what to do. I'd understand starting with what we've got and if for some reason we find ourselves more comfortable during a match I'd hope we'd slowly test one or two of the younger guys out. Of course if we're forced into it then I'd hope Kinnear wouldn't be getting already existing first-teamers players horribly out of position if we can get away with it. It's all about timing though and I'm pretty sure right now is too much of a risk.

Other than Ranger(who knows), Lua Lua & Krul who else do we have that may make a difference. I am not being a dick here just I don't know much about our reserves..... I know a little about Kadar just a shame about his injury because he probably would have had his chance in the next few weeks.

I see no problem starting the likes of Lua Lua, who clearly has a bit of spark and shows more endeavour than the likes of Butt and Geremi. The others, though - it gets said every year, really. There's the danger of scarring the likes of Ranger for life with a serious rude awakening. I wouldn't risk it unless we were forced into it - ie, if we had no choice.

Short answer. No.

Did you read my post? I don't mean revamping the squad and replacing everyone. I just think it's time they got some more game time, but on the other hand like I said it'd be such a big risk that I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

My thread title wasn't implying that I think it is. Nor is it something I am totally against depending on the circumstances.

Guest Heneage

Short answer. No.

Did you read my post? I don't mean revamping the squad and replacing everyone. I just think it's time they got some more game time, but on the other hand like I said it'd be such a big risk that I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

My thread title wasn't implying that I think it is. Nor is it something I am totally against.

I was saying No lets not use them. I wasn't arguing your point. In my personal opinion, the likes of Godsmark, Donniger, are very over-rated, this club has really little in the way of exciting talent, the only one that really impressed at Reserve or youth level is currently back home with a broken leg. Bar maybe Tozer (also injured) there's not one i'd feel confident chucking in.

As mentioned, the likes of Lua Lua, Ranger and Krul should definately be given their chance.

I've been waiting for Lua Lua to get more of a role lately but so far hasn't happened other than fleeting substitute appearances.

I'd love to see Lua Lua start a game or atleast given 45 minutes, lets face it with the likes of Butt and Geremi on the field we aren't going to achieve anything other than a relegation dog fight, I think Lua Lua would give us the attacking spark which we need.

Guest Stephen927

I would only stick Lua Lua in as a impact player from the bench. Don't think he should start a match just yet.

Carroll is doing well up front, Edgar below par in defence... can't think of many others who could make the step up except Kadar but that won't be happening for a while.