Pre Match: West Bromwich Albion vs. Newcastle United - 07/02/09 3pm

joeyt

In case anyone missed this from the Smith thread:

Smudger Targets Baggies Return

By Craig Hope

ALAN Smith is hoping to celebrate the end of six months of painstaking rehabilitation by returning to the Newcastle United squad for this weekend's trip to West Brom.

The 28-year-old fractured his ankle during pre-season and has yet to figure for the Magpies this term.

But, after making a competitive comeback for United's Reserves last week, Smith says that Saturday's clash against the West Midlands basement boys is now firmly within his sights.

"My aim was to get through 60 minutes for the Reserves so I was delighted to do so and at the end of it I didn't want to come off,"

"West Brom is now the target for me.

"I felt great in my comeback match and there were no muscle strains or anything which sometimes happens when you've been out for a while.

"I've worked hard during the past six months or so and my thanks go the physios for their help in getting me where I am today.

"I feel good now but obviously it was a big setback for me because I'd played most of pre-season before I fractured my ankle.

"I had a fracture which, in layman's terms, is a broken ankle. There was also a ligament reattachment on the outside so it was a very serious injury.

"Six months was the schedule but during then there was a bit of confusion and it was reported that I had an Achilles problem but that was never the case."

I'm fully expecting him to start alongside Shola with Martins on the bench.

No Colo :( means Tyalor back to CB, and he has been okay at RB.

---------------------Harper

R.Tay-------S.Tay-----------Bass---------Jose

Duff---------Butt------------Nolan-------Love

------------Martins-----------Shola

did you see the state of our centre defence when he played there for 5 minutes against the mackems?

I know but no Colo then who alongside Bassong?

Somebody here posted in the Colo thread that he would get hurt and ruin his consecutive game streak, i hope that person never jinx's again.

Hate seeing people say "you know player x will get hurt next match"

But doesnt physioroom just update who took a knock and came off? For all we know, he could be fine now?

Must win game. WBA are very dodgy at the back fortunately and Martins and Shola will give them a tough, tough time with their pace and strength. I'm confident Bassong will keep Simpson quiet, the question is whether Taylor can do the same with Bednar/Fortune, either can be quite dangerous. Butt and Nolan will probably get overrun but their midfield's quite lightweight; if they can intimidate and impose themselves a bit they'll do alright. It'll be tough as Albion are on good form but I think we'll edge it. 2-1.

Well I had no idea Viduka was close to returning so I guess that explains the lack of a new striker.

I hate Viduka's lazy play and lack of legs and stamina, but an Oba and Viduka partnership could be very very interesting as Oba has the legs to compensate for Viduka's extreme lack of mobility. It's a partnership we haven't seen enough of and Owen's injury could be a blessing in disguise in that sense. Viduka is just as good a finisher as Owen if not better, as he can actually shoot, but he can at least hold the ball up more. it could be interesting.

Guest Darth Toon

Viduka back as well?? Blimey, wasn't expecting that.

Start him up top with Oba, then bring Smith on when he inevitably gets knackered....

Question regarding Smith in midfield.

Did we ever see Smith in midfield alongside Barton?

I'm just wondering if it might be worth trying him in there alongside Nolan.

I know his tackling is horrendous but so is Butt's and Butt is really not much better than him in any area at all. Smith at least has a ton more mobility and will not play the long ball and therefore give the ball away as often, as he tends to look for the shorter pass more, albeit not the most exciting ones.

Smith alongside a more adequate forward thinking midfielder in Nolan might be a significant improvement on Butt. Will Kinnear have the guts to give it a go though?

Viduka and Oba could be really good if Viduka is ready to go.

Smith and Nolan in midfield should be seriously considered also, as Butt's legs will struggle against a West Brom team that moves around very well.

Just like to point out that this game could be Postponed. More Snow is likely for friday evening and Saturday . With the Hawthorns being the highest ground in the football league, be set to be disappointed in case it does get postponed.

:sadnod:

Just like to point out that this game could be Postponed. More Snow is likely to for friday evening and Saturday . With the Hawthorns being the highest ground in the football league, be set to be disappointed in case it does get postponed.

Could be a blessing to be honest. Get some injured players back and bed in the newer signings.

Just like to point out that this game could be Postponed. More Snow is likely to for friday evening and Saturday . With the Hawthorns being the highest ground in the football league, be set to be disappointed in case it does get postponed.

Could be a blessing to be honest. Get some injured players back and bed in the newer signings.

Aye. Jonas will not be suspended either.

Viduka was booed off when he started at Wigan, with mackem-esque "You're not fit to wear the shirt" ringing around

It wasn't when he started, it's when he decided to walk off the pitch and straight down the tunnel before he'd even been substituted that he got booed.

But he'll be suspended for a harder game

But he'll be suspended for a harder game

Probably for the best.

like having three new players

mackems.gif

You make it sound a bit better with that cut. The sentence actually continues to say "It's like having three new players back" :lol:

Postponement would be great for us. A win over West Brom is more important than any points we might take from the Everton game. That, and having the extra week to ensure that Oba is really back and ready.

Anyway,

Taylor Taylor Bassong Enrique

Duff Nolan Butt Løvenkrands

Martins Carroll

Postponement would be great for us. A win over West Brom is more important than any points we might take from the Everton game. That, and having the extra week to ensure that Oba is really back and ready.

Anyway,

Taylor Taylor Bassong Enrique

Duff Nolan Butt Løvenkrands

Martins Carroll

Carroll injured pick Smith, Sohla or Viduka