When the mackems did the double over us

Benwell Lad

This is specially for the old gits on here.

Last time the mackems did the double over us I was at both games, they beat us 3-0 down there and at home. I remember being in the unsegregated Roker End as a 10 year old with black and white scarf on - some mackem threatened me when I abused Bobby Kerr - I think he scored two that day. I was too young to go in the Fulwell end which was an unsegregated (50/50) battleground.

I think the home game was Wyn Davies debut and I remember Niel Martin scoring a great header for them.

I rememeber not long after that Ollie Burton or John MacNamee swinging on the crossbar down there after they'd scored (3-3 I think)

Ah those were the days - not !

Any other OG's remember those games ?

I sort of half-remember as a kid losing twice 0-3 or maybe it was my brother or dad telling me about it.

Was it the 60's ?

That 3-3 WAS McNamee equalizing in the last minute after we had been 1-3 down with 5 mins left or something.

One that sticks in my mind was the quagmire with pools of water on the pitch where Scott Sellars scored a free kick for 1-0

Or the every bit as bad 1-2 at SJP when it was a deluge of rain.

I sort of half-remember as a kid losing twice 0-3 or maybe it was my brother or dad telling me about it.

Was it the 60's ?

That 3-3 WAS McNamee equalizing in the last minute after we had been 1-3 down with 5 mins left or something.

One that sticks in my mind was the quagmire with pools of water on the pitch where Scott Sellars scored a free kick for 1-0

Or the every bit as bad 1-2 at SJP when it was a deluge of rain.

It was in the 60s  :-[

As a veteran of a few that 1-2 in the rain was the sickest I've felt, I wasn't there - which is even worse - but sat in a bar abroad getting phone call updates (must have been pre SMS days)

We've been in worse situations but I can never remember a tenser one than yesterday - or maybe that was just because it was the present one and they are all just as tense ??

Last time the mackems did the double over us I was at both games, they beat us 3-0 down there and at home. I remember being in the unsegregated Roker End as a 10 year old with black and white scarf on - some mackem threatened me when I abused Bobby Kerr - I think he scored two that day. I was too young to go in the Fulwell end which was an unsegregated (50/50) battleground.

I think the home game was Wyn Davies debut and I remember Niel Martin scoring a great header for them.

I rememeber not long after that Ollie Burton or John MacNamee swinging on the crossbar down there after they'd scored (3-3 I think)

I was 19, and in the Army, Benwell Lad..!!

Missed the games because I was 300 miles away...just as well.

The 3-3 draw ended with John McNamee scoring and swinging on the bar(at the Roker end, I believe..

McNamee was a legend - we used to call him 'The Bear', and people like Keane, who thought themselves hard men, would have been terrified of him ; remember him scoring against Spurs at SJP in a draw once, and it was sheer brute force that got him into the box and getting the equaliser - their defenders were bouncing off him....!!

Burton was the more skillful defender, and I always thought that he and Bobby Moncur were a really tough defensive pairing ; added to Frank Clark and David Craig, they were the best defence NUFC has had for 40 years...no surprise that we won the Fairs Cup with that back 4.

As you say, great days...sadly, we are miles away from that now, and I don't imagine that either the atmosphere(being in the old Leazes End was fantastic, you swayed 10 feet every time a goal was scored), OR the special feeling of being a NUFC fan will ever return.

I was 19, and in the Army, Benwell Lad..!!

Missed the games because I was 300 miles away...just as well.

The 3-3 draw ended with John McNamee scoring and swinging on the bar(at the Roker end, I believe..

McNamee was a legend - we used to call him 'The Bear', and people like Keane, who thought themselves hard men, would have been terrified of him ; remember him scoring against Spurs at SJP in a draw once, and it was sheer brute force that got him into the box and getting the equaliser - their defenders were bouncing off him....!!

Burton was the more skillful defender, and I always thought that he and Bobby Moncur were a really tough defensive pairing ; added to Frank Clark and David Craig, they were the best defence NUFC has had for 40 years...no surprise that we won the Fairs Cup with that back 4.

As you say, great days...sadly, we are miles away from that now, and I don't imagine that either the atmosphere(being in the old Leazes End was fantastic, you swayed 10 feet every time a goal was scored), OR the special feeling of being a NUFC fan will ever return.

Players were definitely tougher then and they got away with so much more, they had to be able to look after themselves as they couldn't just roll around on the floor and wait for video evidence to look after them !  Teams also had squads of about 15 players so they had to play even when recovering from injuries - not that that was a good thing - but today they take 3 months to recover from a groin strain !

There has been so much change for the better at the stadium, but like you, I feel sorry for younger fans who never experienced the ear splitting noise and atmosphere of the old Leazes End.  I loved when we used to sing "you'll never walk alone" with the scarves aloft - nowadays the scousers seem to have a copyright on it !

Guest Sniffer

Wyn Davies did sign just before the derby match but the board, small minded tight fisted bastards that they were, wouldn't spend the extra money to sign Francis Lee as well in a double deal. That would've made all the difference in the world.