Philippe Albert Interview

gazza ladra

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=615010&sec=europe&root=europe&cc=5739&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

"When I speak about my career, the time at Newcastle was the best five years of my life. It was as if I was at home," said Albert with an enthusiasm that suggests a campaign or two more than the four he spent in the north east would have seen him set up a pigeon loft and embark on pedigree whippet breeding. "It's true that - at first - I couldn't understand what the fans were saying, and I would have to just nod and smile, but after a while it was fine."

"I could have left the year before to join Fiorentina or Juventus, but I don't like the sun very much," Albert told an incredulous ESPNsoccernet. "I turned down a move to Italy because of the weather, because of the sun, and because they play on a Sunday afternoon. I simply couldn't stand the thought of playing on a Sunday at three o'clock. So it was simple - the climate in the north east of England suited me better than that of Italy."

What a mad man.

He's another of ours that always gets overlooked by fans of other clubs. He's like a forgotten man, along with Nobby, Lee, and Speed.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Absolute legend.

I'd fucking love it if, just as a one-off, for that Masters 5-a-side they could recreate the Newcastle team from 1995-1997

Pav

Barton

Beresford

Albert

Ginola

Lee

Batty

Beardsley

Ferdinand

Shearer

Asprilla

Canny 5-a-side squad that

How I wish we could have someone of his quality again.

We will never have anyone at this club, of his quality, again. 

Our owner has decided that the height of his ambition is mid-table mediocrity, if he is lucky. He speaks about us like that, I assume he thinks about us like that (both of these are from 'reports' as he does not actually speak to us at all) and if you read what many people on this board write, THEY too think that this is our rightful place (the best we can hope for).

The days of sheer excitement at our 'potential to achieve' . .  are over.

The days of quality players wanting to come here and then coming here . . are over.

I am not being pessimistic, just factual - as most on here seem to routinely acknowledge, particularly the younger ones who appear to accept and be 'happy with' our lot.

Our owner has decided that the height of his ambition is mid-table mediocrity, if he is lucky. He speaks about us like that, I assume he thinks about us like that (both of these are from 'reports' as he does not actually speak to us at all) and if you read what many people on this board write, THEY too think that this is our rightful place (the best we can hope for).

The days of quality players wanting to come here and then coming here . . are over.

I am not being pessimistic, just factual - as most on here seem to routinely acknowledge, particularly the younger ones who appear to accept and be 'happy with' our lot.

I dunno. Give it 20 years we can get back up there.

I dunno. Give it 200 years we can get back up there.

Is that what you really meant??

Absolute legend.

I'd f***ing love it if, just as a one-off, for that Masters 5-a-side they could recreate the Newcastle team from 1995-1997

Pav

Barton

Beresford

Albert

Ginola

Lee

Batty

Beardsley

Ferdinand

Shearer

Asprilla

so how many of the present first team squad would be good enough to get in that team? would suggest none of 'em

Guest LucaAltieri

Do one.

Absolute legend.

I'd f***ing love it if, just as a one-off, for that Masters 5-a-side they could recreate the Newcastle team from 1995-1997

Pav

Barton

Beresford

Albert

Ginola

Lee

Batty

Beardsley

Ferdinand

Shearer

Asprilla

so how many of the present first team squad would be good enough to get in that team? would suggest none of 'em

Beye would start. Harper now is also a better keeper than Pav was. Although I'm aware he was around at the time.

Do one.

I assume kindergaten was closed today because of the snow?

Guest LucaAltieri

Do one.

I assume kindergaten was closed today because of the snow?

It was actually as you well know. I assume that's why you're so pent up today. No opportunity to get your rocks off, right?

Anyway... ignoring the melodramatic nature of your post... is it really necessary in here? Plenty of other threads on the state of the club.

Guest firetotheworks

Absolute legend.

Pav

Barton

Beresford

Albert

Ginola

Lee

Batty

Beardsley

Ferdinand

Shearer

Asprilla

A back 3?

Harper for Pav

Beye for Barton

Bassong for Peacock (?)

and a bit contraversially Jonas for Asprilla.