LW: Duff, Jonas

CF: Lovenkrands, Ameobi

Injuries (taken from Physio Room):

A Carroll Ankle/Foot Injury no return date   

F Coloccini Ankle/Foot Injury no return date     

M Owen Ankle/Foot Injury 21st Mar 09   

J Barton Metatarsal Fracture Apr 09   

T Kadar Broken Leg Jun 09   

D Guthrie Hamstring Injury 22nd Feb 09               - Reports were he was out for the season though   

Cacapa Knee Injury 22nd Feb 09   

M Viduka Groin Strain 22nd Feb 09   

H Beye Knee Injury no return date   

O Martins Gilmores Groin 7th Feb 09   

I Gonzalez Achilles Tendinopathy 14th Mar 09   

A Smith Acute Shitness 7th Feb 09

Whilst that looks bleak, the few positive are in the versatility we have in the squad which might at least have players playing in a vaugely familiar role.

Smith and Martins should be back soon and hopefully Carrol and Colo will shake off the knocks.

Goalkeepers:   Harper    Krul   Foster

Harper pbviously first choice, hopefully Krul or Foster can make the step up if the inevitable happens and Harper gets injured.

Verdict: Potentially nervous situations ahead but should be covered.

RB:   R Taylor (S.Taylor, Edgar, Colo)

Both Taylors could be important to us here with Beyes return too long away. Colo and Edgar could play there if we were desperate.

Verdict:  Should be covered here

CB:   S.Taylor, Bassong, (Colo), Edgar

Looking a bit stretched if more than a couple of these pick up knocks or suspensions we are in trouble, A returning Cacapa does little to calm fears, Bassong and Colo will more than likely lead the way if Colo isnt laid out they need to build and solidify their partnership quicker though. Colo especially needs to start leading from the back and talking instead of trying to coast through games.

Verdict: Pray for some luck and cohesion in this area. At best we will just make the odd mistake, at worst we are all over the shop

LB:  Enrique (Bassong, R.Taylor)

Who would have thought a third window in a row when LB was one of our top priorities yet it isnt addressed. Enrique will be happy to have the chance to stick two fingers up at his doubters (mainly his boss) and solidify his role beyond this season.

Verdict:  Short on cover should Enrique get injured again, Bassong or Ryan Taylor could fit in to cover, the question would then be whether we can afford to lose them from elsewhere in the team.

RW:  Geremi, lua lua  (Jonas, R.Taylor, Duff)

Strangely the three players who would consider a different position as their best are our best bets for RW. Geremi is largely useless for us now, Lua Lua is untested. Ryan Taylor is very much at home there but might find himself at RB. Jonas and Duff are interchangable.

Verdict: Should be covered, but dont be suprised to see alot more of Lua Lua.

CM:  Nolan, Butt (Geremi, Smith, Colo)

Whilst you could argue there is little point thinking the guys in brackets could play there, we may not have a choice. Supsensions or injuries to Butt or Nolan and we are piss weak again.

Verdict: Along with the defence our soft centre could well be the cause of our demise. We cannot afford to get Nolan injured and can only hope Guthrie and Barton race back to fitness quicker than expected.

LW:  Duff, Jonas (R. Taylor, Lovenkrands)

Hopefully one of our strongest areas despite the lack of numbers.

Verdict: Should be fine, of course now all four players will pick up knocks!

CF: Lovenkrands, Ameobi (Martins, Carrol, Smith)

The talent upfront is locked away in there apparently, whether we can see it or not who knows. Hopefully Martins gets fit and stays that way.

Verdict: A blunt attack but we have bodies, whether that is enough to get us goals we shall see.

Overall Verdict

The odds are against us, that is a place JFK likes being, but we cant afford any more injuries or gutless performances, I do think with what we have we will see lots of fight but I dont know we will have the talent or end product in equal measure.

Going to be a tough run to stay up and we need some big performances from everyone.

Guest Stephen927

Good post mate.

With a bit luck with injuries (I laughed too) and with players coming back, it might just be enough.

As shite as Kinnear may be, there is still a lot of responsibility on these players shoulders because in theory we should not be involved in this relegation battle.

I'd be more confident with the squad we got IF we had a DECENT manager. I don't think we need a great manager to see us through this spell. You look at the likes of Wigan and Hull and I can't honestly say I would take many players from their teams. Are West Ham that much better off than us for personnel??

I don't know maybe I am wearing my black and white specs but our players don't seem THAT bad just the manager is w***. In our current situation I don't know who would take the job. It frightens the s**** out of me that Kinnear may sign his contract and be manager long term. The only way I see him not being manager is him not signing the contract which I highly doubt, I don't think even he is abig enough t*** to do that (I wouldn't) or Ashley to sell up and that doesn't look like happening...

If Ashley stays he comes out and speaks himself and tells us he has made massive mistakes and then changes a few things. Fine stick with bringing young players in and try to get rid of the dead wood but have some ambition and bring in a decent manager and at very least lets spend the money that we have recouped from Milner, that little french w***** and Shay Given...

We can't change the squad anymore. We can change the manager.

The squad may be weak but just having a competent manager that doesn't alienate the players and isn't a raving lunatic would improve things a thousandfold.

We need to take that step to save the club.

Johnny - Harry Redknapp doesn't manage us and we are not spurs so probably not.

In short I don't know...

you just know it is destined to happen now that given is gone. that, or Martins 'suffering a setback', or both.

I know some clubs have brought in keepers in emergency in the past. However Krul looks like he could handle the pressure, to be fair to him he was excellent in the UEFA cup, though I agree it is totally different from playing week in week out in the Prem.

When is Oba due back by the way?

The squad is reasonably small, but the team isn't bad considering the injuries. The only way is up with regards to injuries, so I'm still fairly confident we will stay up.

Oba coming back is obviously key. With Oba and Carroll up front R Taylor could be a very big player for us... it's been ages since we've had anyone who could deliver a set piece.

Just a pity Barton or Guthrie are not fit as I feel they could play well with Nolan. But I agree Oba is key I think he could work well with Caroll or Shola, I don't think either are up to the task long term but are better options than Viduka as at least they give a shit.

Harper

Beye Coloccini Bassong Enrique

RTaylor  Nolan Barton  Gutierrez

Martins Owen

... it's a shame we'll never get to see that team.

With Martins', Smith's, Colo's and Carroll's returns all imminent (you would think), we'll probably have to get used to something like:

Harper

RTaylor Coloccini Bassong Enrique

Duff      Nolan  Butt      Gutierrez

Martins  Ameobi

... which is still a good enough team to keep us up in my opinion. I'm not horrified at the personnel we've got tbh. Kinnear wants shot if he can't keep that lot up. We've got to pick up points in our coming games because we go through a little period which could make or break our season. Shortly, in the space of four games, we've got three 'grand slam' teams. So we must pick up maximum points against West Brom, at the very least.

Looking at either of those teams they are certainley not the weakest team in the league by a long shot but our talent is knocked down a peg or two by our manager. I have tried to be positive about him from the start but the more I look at our players the more I think that they are not that bad. Duff and Butt are massive weak points in that probable team but looking at Yorkies 1st pick it doesn't look to bad, even the bench looks okay with that 1st team Krul, Taylor, Geremi, Butt, Duff, Shola, Carroll

If Ryan Taylor is seriously up for it - it could be absolutely fucking massive for us. You can pinpoint other flaws amongst the squad - inconsistency in the defense, lack of leadership, centre-midfield getting walked all over... but the balance of the side is well up there. We haven't had a competent right-winger in the squad so far. Jonas has been forced onto the right where he isn't nearly as effective. Put him on the left and you've got to put up with Duff who simply negates everything.

Two productive wingers could change our season.

People are slagging this window off (rightly, tbh)... and i concede that i'm basing this mentality entirely on the word "IF"... but these two signings could be enormous for us. Weak centre-mid? No more. Productive wings? No more.

Fingers very, very firmly crossed. I really hope the two lads are up for it.

Guest BigTrev

i know our manager is not the best!!! but once they cross the line it is not down to the players to sort it out? i mean how much can the manager do once we are playing? it all comes back to confidence if they have some they will play it short and on the deck when they have none and are scared they all just smash it up to carrol or shola  and hope for the best

If Ryan Taylor is seriously up for it - it could be absolutely fucking massive for us. You can pinpoint other flaws amongst the squad - inconsistency in the defense, lack of leadership, centre-midfield getting walked all over... but the balance of the side is well up there. We haven't had a competent right-winger in the squad so far. Jonas has been forced onto the right where he isn't nearly as effective. Put him on the left and you've got to put up with Duff who simply negates everything.

People are slagging this window off (rightly, tbh)... and i concede that i'm basing this mentality entirely on the word "IF"... but these two signings could be enormous for us. Weak centre-mid? No more. Productive wings? No more.

Ryan Taylor's not a winger though, he's a full back. This point seems to be missed.

Ryan Taylor's not a winger though, he's a full back. This point seems to be missed.

I haven't missed that point, actually - i know he is. There's nowt to say he won't be played on the wing, atleast at times anyway.

Both seem up for it, they seem excited for signing, both see this as a step up and rightly so. My negative side of me says that Taylor will get injured and Nolan will be a shit as all the Bolton fans are tell us he will be. But the could be good, Nolan could be a big leader for us I noticed he was vocal in the 'huddle' before the Sunderland game and Taylor could give us balance as well as keeping Duffer out of the team. Steven Taylor impressed me at right back on Sunday and would be happy to see him remain there if he plays like that week in week out.

I haven't missed that point, actually - i know he is. There's nowt to say he won't be played on the wing, atleast at times anyway.

You seemed to be suggesting some degree of competency on the wing, that's all.