Transfer window: Have we weakened or strengthened our fight against relegation?

Guest Howaythetoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

For me its a double edged sword. We've strengthened numerically but have we strengthened the side by ability? Nolan is better than Butt and Guthrie but Taylor isn't better than Beye where as Lovenkrands isn't as good as N'Zogbia. We've sold on 2 players that didn't want to be here and brought in 3 that do but what kind of message Given and N'Zogbia leaving sends out to the rest of the team I don't know. To the questioned itself...have we strengthened our fight against relegation? No would be my opinion, although we haven't weakened it either. What we have done is failed to strengthen our cause and in a way are gambling on what we have being good enough to keep us up which is a big risk they've took, one which could come back to bite us all on the arse. A gamble I personally feel is idiotic at best, negligence at worst. Fingers crossed ey...

Losing Given is massive but having a good back up helps a great deal. Losing Insomina is good he was negative infulence on and off the pitch. The signing of Nolan is massive he is what we need for long time at this club. Once Martins comes back from injuryy we will see a big difference in our chances of surviving in the league.

If Owen, Barton, Beye and Guthrie had been sold, which their injuries have effectively equated to, how the hell has signing 3 squad players improved us with another outfield player gone?

The 3 would have been decent IF none of those key players hadn't been fucked - exactly the type of players we should have brought in in the summer. To bring them in now as "replacements" for players as crucial as at least 3 of those 4 is the ultimate in pissing in a hurricane.

So we needed 7 or 8 new players, in January, ready to go into the first team? Desirable, but not possible.

We needed 2 or 3 before the injuries/departures - the net result of the sale and injuries is a weaker squad than January 1st .

Guest Howaythetoon

The worrying thing is that Nolan was only bought due to Barton's injury and as Barton is our best midfielder, Nolan being comparable and his replacement, we actually haven't really strengthened that midfield area of the team.

Weakened for sure

None of the 3 players will fill the hole in Midfield we've been missing since Dyar and Speed left

Unless there's some transfer we don't know about then these 3 don't install the belief we will stay up judging by the type of players they are.

You do realize that we're comparing it to where we were a couple of weeks ago, and not to Sir Bobby's Champions League qualifying team? ???

Yes I am fully aware of that fact, i was using them as an example of the last time we had proper midfielders at the club.

Still weakened! As good as Harper is, he'll let in a fair few more goals than Given would've towards the end of this season.  Now would Nolan, Taylor and Lovenkrands make that up between themselves?

I think not

The worrying thing is that Nolan was only bought due to Barton's injury and as Barton is our best midfielder, Nolan being comparable and his replacement, we actually haven't really strengthened that midfield area of the team.

At last - someone else realises what a pack of bastards they are.

If Barton hadn't been fucked and Kinnear hadn't given N'Zogbia the excuse we'd have signed one player whose contract had been torn up by his previous club - whoopy fucking do.

Well we have really haven't we.

Guest Howaythetoon

That makes no sense. :lol:

Not my fault you're thick as wale spunk is it.

He is right though :lol:

You need to learn to spell whale properly before you start calling other people thick like. :thup:

Short term fight against relegation we have probably strengthened slightly, if only in adding balance and depth. Long term we have de-valued the squad as Given and Zog were desirable players to other clubs, I'm not sure the three brought in will be by the next transfer window. Taylor looks the best bet. This is hardly the Wenger blueprint we were promised, more like the Stoke City one from where I'm standing.

some of the positions involved:

1st choice keeper: Harper is like Given without Given's ability to do stuff that appears on the highlight reels. weakened.

Backup Keeper: instead of Harper it's now a choice between two inexperienced kids. We're now so weak in this position that a bad injury to Harper would probably guarantee relegation. awful.

full-back: Improved with a squad player who shouldnt really impact our firxt XI. However, looking at this position in the context of our injury problems you'd have to say we're weaker there than we were a month ago.

attacking central midfield: Improved with a squad player, who is neverthless average and someone Bolton wanted to shift off their books because he'd been out of form for 2 years and they have better coming in. Barton's injury is a blow but he hardly plays anyway.

defensive central midfield: though we havent touched this position, i'm still going to mention it as we (allegedly) went for Mbia, Donadel and Veloso without success. the fact that Nicky Butt will be first choice for the remainder of the season in this position is frankly inexcusable. what a shambles

Wings: losing N'Zogbia's pace and creativity is a big blow, no sign that lovenkrands is up to anything, more likely he is this year's Onyewu or Diatta. Once again we fail to replace Milner (or Dyer or Solano before him).

1st choice keeper: Harper is like Given without Given's ability to do stuff that appears on the highlight reels. weakened.

Backup Keeper: instead of Harper it's now a choice between two inexperienced kids. We're now so weak in this position that a bad injury to Harper would probably guarantee relegation. awful.

full-back: Improved with a squad player who shouldnt really impact our firxt XI. However, looking at this position in the context of our injury problems you'd have to say we're weaker there than we were a month ago.

attacking central midfield: Improved with a squad player, who is neverthless average and someone Bolton wanted to shift off their books because he'd been out of form for 2 years and they have better coming in. Barton's injury is a blow but he hardly plays anyway.

defensive central midfield: though we havent touched this position, i'm still going to mention it as we (allegedly) went for Mbia, Donadel and Veloso without success. the fact that Nicky Butt will be first choice for the remainder of the season in this position is frankly inexcusable. what a shambles

Wings: losing N'Zogbia's pace and creativity is a big blow, no sign that lovenkrands is up to anything, more likely he is this year's Onyewu or Diatta. Once again we fail to replace Milner (or Dyer or Solano before him).

Good assessment. I could have stood losing Zog and Given if we'd used the cash to bring in quality players but we didn't.

Good assessment. I could have stood losing Zog and Given if we'd used the cash to bring in quality players but we didn't.

what i'd like, or would've liked, is an option for the right, rather than another left winger. We have a good LW (Jonas) and another shit one hanging off his coat tails and gurning like a constipated leprechaun, but i dont think we have a single right-winger at the club, with the possible exception of Lua Lua.

I disagree with that evaluation tbh, I think it's an extremely negative look on things baring in mind they haven't had much of a chance to prove themselves yet.

I am not that bothered by N'Zogbia going he hasn't really done that well in recent times, it is a blow losing Given though, Harper is a top class replacement its just the message sent out by the sale of Given. He was one of the few stalwarts left our shining ray of light.

As others have said selling Given and N'Zogbia wouldn't have been too bad had we invested well in the market. As much support I have given Duff over the past few seasons he is just not up to it. I thought we had a cracking deal with him and I thought he would come good but there is nothing to his game anymore. Who else do we play on our wing instead of him.

Overall I think we may have weakened as Given is better than Harper and N'Zogbia is better than Duff, however, I see the signing of Nolan a positive one and Taylor strengthens our defence. When Beye is fit we can move Taylor into midfield and Jonas on the left.

Strenghthened as Harper is more than capable of replacing Given, Insomnia was shite this season and wanted out, and we've got 2 new players in who want to play for us and will contribute to the fight.

Exactly.

Let's put it like this - As things stand, we're going to continue with Nicky Butt and Damien Duff starting every game in our midfield till the end of the season.

Now if anybody has the guts to tell me that they're good enough or that we couldn't get better than them..

Ultimately this is going to cost us our survival.. Strengthened my ass..

We made signings to compensate for injuries and sold one of the best keepers in the league.  All the good strikers still injured, Butt still certain to play regularly, Kinnear still in charge.  Weakened. 

Pretty much. :sadnod:

I believe we've got an imposing threat from centre-midfield now. Therefore i believe we've strengthened, marginally. We've not changed an awful lot, though. Still got a good enough squad to remain in the division. Whether or not we've got a good enough manager, is another matter.

I believe our midfield is still pretty woeful, our one good player lacks a consistent final ball.  The rest are mediocre and its shown time and time again this season.

Bearing in mind, Barton is now out for most of the rest of this season, our midfield has not been adequately strenghtened, once again.

All in all, not strengthened for me, not massively weaker but given our situation, too weak as it is.