Transfer window: Have we weakened or strengthened our fight against relegation?

Guest Howaythetoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd have to agree that we've come out with a marginally better squad, especially since the two players we lost wanted to leave, but we absolutely needed to do better this month and with the state of our team we were counting on better signings. So in that regard we've weakened our relegation fight significantly and for no good reason.

For one reason or another this lot should be gone in the summer Cacapa, Butt, Geremi, Duff, Viduka, Owen, Smith. Should take a hell of a lot off the wage bill (I would guess upwards £400,000 a week) then maybe we can start running this club properly.

People expect us to keep buying and buying players but the fact is we have too many first team players even if a lot of them aren't good enough and we can't keep adding to it. Unfortunately its not going to be easy getting rid of some of the dross until their contract run out due to the stupid wages they were given in the first place.

For one reason or another this load should be gone in the summer Cacapa, Butt, Geremi, Duff, Viduka, Owen, Smith. Should take a hell of a lot off the wage bill (I would guess upwards £400,000 a week) then maybe we can start running this club properly.

Interstingly, most of those can be traced back to our previous Owners/Chairman.

For one reason or another this lot should be gone in the summer Cacapa, Butt, Geremi, Duff, Viduka, Owen, Smith. Should take a hell of a lot off the wage bill (I would guess upwards £400,000 a week) then maybe we can start running this club properly.

People expect us to keep buying and buying players but the fact is we have too many first team players even if a lot of them aren't good enough and we can't keep adding to it. Unfortunately its not going to be easy getting rid of some of the dross until their contract run out due to the stupid wages they were given in the first place.

Do these players have many years left on their contracts??

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I agree mate, posted something similar on another thread. Our wage bill accounts for 70% of our annual expenditure, its just not feasible to continue that kind of outlay. This summer should see a purge of the majority of players at the top of the wage-scale which in turn should allow investment in the playing side with a far more sustainable pay structure. I base all of this theory on a new manager being appointed and a general overhaul of our current management structure, otherwise everything will just go tits up as per usual

For one reason or another this load should be gone in the summer Cacapa, Butt, Geremi, Duff, Viduka, Owen, Smith. Should take a hell of a lot off the wage bill (I would guess upwards £400,000 a week) then maybe we can start running this club properly.

Interestingly, most of them are Ashley signings (Cacapa, Geremi, Viduka, Smith).

Interestingly, most of them are Ashley signings (Cacapa, Geremi, Viduka, Smith).

All signed by Allardyce who was appointed by Shepherd.

Owen, Cacapa, Viduka and Butt's contracts are up in the summer, but Butt has been offered a new one.  :rant:

After this season Geremi will have a year, Duff will have another two years and Smith another three.

So, Owen, Cacapa, Viduka will most definitely be gone and we might con someone into buying Smith.

I think we're stuck with Duff and Geremi.

Owen, Cacapa, Viduka and Butt's contracts are up in the summer, but Butt has been offered a new one.  :rant:

After this season Geremi will have a year, Duff will have another two years and Smith another three.

So, Owen, Cacapa, Viduka will most definitely be gone and we might con someone into buying Smith.

I think we're stuck with Duff and Geremi.

Well it sounds "ok" (except that i would never in a million years offer Butt a new contract, as all of us probably wouldn't)

I dont think it's impossible to get rid of Geremi and Smith, but Duff is a more difficult one i think.

Looks like we could get some dead wood off the wage bill..

The worrying thing is that Nolan was only bought due to Barton's injury and as Barton is our best midfielder, Nolan being comparable and his replacement, we actually haven't really strengthened that midfield area of the team.

Barton's played only 8 games all season though, we can't rely on him so yes I'd say Nolan has strengthened both the team and the squad.

We made signings to compensate for injuries and sold one of the best keepers in the league.  All the good strikers still injured, Butt still certain to play regularly, Kinnear still in charge.  Weakened. 

How can things being the way they already were mean we've weakened?

some of the positions involved:

Wings: losing N'Zogbia's pace and creativity is a big blow, no sign that lovenkrands is up to anything, more likely he is this year's Onyewu or Diatta. Once again we fail to replace Milner (or Dyer or Solano before him).

One assist all season..

Wings: losing N'Zogbia's pace and creativity is a big blow, no sign that lovenkrands is up to anything, more likely he is this year's Onyewu or Diatta. Once again we fail to replace Milner (or Dyer or Solano before him).

One assist all season..

two technically

One assist all season..

two technically

How impressive.

Weakened.

We've basically signed Kevin Nolan and sold Given and N'Zogbia.

Lovenkrands and Ryan Taylor won't do anything to improve the team whatsoever most likely.

Tidy profit though. :thup:

Weakened.

We've basically signed Kevin Nolan and sold Given and N'Zogbia.

Lovenkrands and Ryan Taylor won't do anything to improve the team whatsoever most likely.

Tidy profit though. :thup:

Taylor gives us an actual right back though, as well as some ability from set pieces and someone who can play on the right side of midfield that isn't Geremi.  Zog loses us some moaning and an occasional good run.

One assist all season..

He has two, joint leader of our assist charts too.  In 14 starts and 4 sub appearances.  I can't even remember how many games he played left back in.

Can't realistically count injuried players in the '2 out and 3 in' scheme of things as going by that we could have signed Kaka, Messi and Vidic and still need about 5 other players just to cover our RVI out-patients.

Goalie, while Harper will do a decent and competent job, the fact is Given did an excellent job - weaker, but not by much.

Defense, Ryan Taylor in  and no-one out, other than his goals against us have no idea if he's any good or not - same or slight improvement.

Centre midfield, Nolan in and no-one out, think the change of club will do him and us good - improved.

Wings - Zog out and Lovengrants in, if I had to pick one over the other, i'd pick the Zog (even if he had the lip on) - weaker

Attack - no change, but Smith back soon - weaker

Overall - slight improvement, but could and should have been greater.

Guest battyleespeed

Strenghtened.

I think the main point is that the two who were sold were disillusioned and thus becoming a liability in terms of team spirit. Disregarding their individual ability and focusing on their mentality both Given and N'Zogbia were more or less individualists than a real team players. They saw their futures were on a decline and judging from their comments they needed a new environment that would allow them to progress. Nolan and Taylor seem to be classic team players and WANT to play for the club. NUFC is a step up and a challenge for them. I'm guessing that is why it has been so difficult to bring in any other players. It's becoming difficult to find talented and experienced players that would see NUFC as a place where they could develop further.

We made signings to compensate for injuries and sold one of the best keepers in the league.  All the good strikers still injured, Butt still certain to play regularly, Kinnear still in charge.  Weakened. 

How can things being the way they already were mean we've weakened?

Bit in bold probably?