Transfer window: Have we weakened or strengthened our fight against relegation?

Guest Howaythetoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As I see it its a question of comparing the "fit" squad on Jan 1st (or Dec 25th to include Beye) and the squad which we now have till the end of the season. Given the length of the anticipated absences of Owen. Barton, Beye and Guthrie I equate those with sales as they are unavailable for a long period (if not the duration).

In that context we are significantly weaker in my view.

so you're saying we have to compare a squad with owen & barton (not fit then but was due back) to one where they're badly injured and not replaced you mean?  for example

harsh indeed if that's what you're getting at

Spurs reacted to Defoe's injury - we are relying on one bloke with a dodgy groin to score all our goals for the next two months at least. The injuries didn't happen on Sunday they happened with 4 or 5 days left to react - I don't think its harsh.

i think it's harsh in the sense that we needed 4 or 5 players before they got injured if you see what i mean...to sign the ACM, LB, RW, DM & ST we needed plus then also replace barton and owen is harsh

but point taken, we've barely reacted and we will pay for it imo

Did people really expect us to cover all our injuries? Really?

What happens when they come back? We already have around 25 first team players in the squad (too many). Ok we could have gotten a couple of loans but that still all costs money.

We bid £8m on a midfielder. Two £500k loan deals wouldn't have gone a miss

What happens when they come back? We already have around 25 first team players in the squad (too many). Ok we could have gotten a couple of loans but that still all costs money.

Fair point, we did mess up trying to get in real quality and not taking the safe option.

Metatarsals always take longer than estimated, Beye's injury is pretty mysterious and Owen being Owen I'd be surprised if any of these three play again this season.

Metatarsals always take longer than estimated, Beye's injury is pretty mysterious and Owen being Owen I'd be surprised if any of these three play again this season.

so what ARE you saying then?  we sign players for these 3 positions and the other players we need?  madness....

i think it's harsh in the sense that we needed 4 or 5 players before they got injured if you see what i mean...to sign the ACM, LB, RW, DM & ST we needed plus then also replace barton and owen is harsh

but point taken, we've barely reacted and we will pay for it imo

Agreed - but this is continuation of the summer in that we should have been signing Nolan/Taylor type players in addition to the others then.

Fair point, we did mess up trying to get in real quality and not taking the safe option.

Can't decide if you're being sarcastic or not but surely Johnson, who I admit is quality, was a huge risk for a threadbare squad missing central midfielders, we need players who are fit now. Granted I don't know what happened with the loans or if there was anybody suitable available but if Father Jack is gonig to talk about them being available then it's his own fault.

Metatarsals always take longer than estimated Nolan, Beye's injury is pretty mysterious Taylor and Owen being Owen Lovenkrands I'd be surprised if any of these three play again this season.

Ok not world class replacements but it is the January transfer window.

so what ARE you saying then?  we sign players for these 3 positions and the other players we need?  madness....

We needed right back cover anyway so I've no argument in signing Taylor. Nolan imo was only signed after Barton's injury so in that sense they did react. Its the overall lack of plan/targets that should be condemned.

Relying completely on Martins is one of the main factors in why I think we'll go down.

Can't decide if you're being sarcastic or not but surely Johnson, who I admit is quality, was a huge risk for a threadbare squad missing central midfielders, we need players who are fit now. Granted I don't know what happened with the loans or if there was anybody suitable available but if Father Jack is gonig to talk about them being available then it's his own fault.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I think Ashley was desperately trying to bring in some quality to impress the fans but failed. I am not sure what is happening with Johnson, just think he is class from what I have seen of him and I assume we thought he would be fit enough/problem free.

I think we needed the N'Zogbia and Given money which is why it was left so late, why we didn't try and get Johnson as part of the Given deal I have no idea!

TOTTENHAM:

- out -

Hossam Ghaly [Tottenham - Nassr Saudi Club] Undisclosed

Cesar Sanchez [Tottenham - Valencia] Free

David Button [Tottenham - Bournemouth] Loan

Charlie Daniels [Tottenham - Leyton Orient] Free

Tomas Pekhart [Tottenham - Sparta Prague] 12-month loan

Troy Archibald-Henville [Tottenham - Exeter] Loan

- in -

Carlo Cudicini [Chelsea - Tottenham] Free

Pascal Chimbonda [sunderland - Tottenham] Undisclosed

Jermain Defoe [Portsmouth - Tottenham] £15m

Robbie Keane [liverpool - Tottenham] £12m

VERDICT: Strengthened. 

You forgot Palacios for £14m. 

I think Newcastle's ins and outs are pretty well neutral, maybe a little weakening.  The major problem is not bulking up a smallish squad already ravaged by injuries with cheap buys or loans.  Signings like Nolan, Taylor and Lovenkrands are fine but 3 new faces weren't enough, I think it should have been at least six.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I think Ashley was desperately trying to bring in some quality to impress the fans but failed. I am not sure what is happening with Johnson, just think he is class from what I have seen of him and I assume we thought he would be fit enough/problem free.

I think we needed the N'Zogbia and Given money which is why it was left so late, why we didn't try and get Johnson as part of the Given deal I have no idea!

No one at the club seems to have much of an idea either.

We needed right back cover anyway so I've no argument in signing Taylor. Nolan imo was only signed after Barton's injury so in that sense they did react. Its the overall lack of plan/targets that should be condemned.

Relying completely on Martins is one of the main factors in why I think we'll go down.

no arguments with any of that really, if they'd secured players for all of the positions we needed bar owen/barton i don't think we could have much complaint personally but basically they secured neither and i'm with you i think it's goodnight

really? really?  fuckin hell man you're like a domestic abuse victim

TOTTENHAM:

- out -

- in -

Hi again guys, I have been away for erm some reason.

Oh don't forgot we spent FOURTEEN MILLION POUNDS on a central midfielder aswell.

You lot should have bought more players like we did.

FYP

TOTTENHAM:

- out -

- in -

Hi again guys, I have been away for erm some reason.

Oh don't forgot we spent FOURTEEN MILLION POUNDS on a central midfielder aswell.

You lot should have bought more players like we did.

FYP

:lol:

My only worry is how many players we might have signed if Barton hadn't been injured. That would have revealed more about the intentions of the club long-term. I suspect we might have ended up with just Taylor, which is worrying.

Agreed, with the post above.

I personally think we have been weakened this window.

I think it is clear what is happening here, Ashley wants everybody off the books who is a high earner and wants lower paid honest grafter type players in the team (which plays right into Joe Kinnears hands)

My only worry is that he hasn't had the forsight to see that he is going to have to spend a bucket load of cash in the summer once he has done this. What is going to happen in the summer when he gets rid of:

Owen

Viduka

Geremi

Butt (Wishful thinking on my part but he will probably stay)

Capaca

Lovenkrands (Maybe if he does nowt)

Barton (High earner and obviously wants rid)

It will then cost a boat load of cash to bring the squad numbers back to a norm and even then we will be under-strength, dark days ahead I am afraid :(

My only worry is how many players we might have signed if Barton hadn't been injured. That would have revealed more about the intentions of the club long-term. I suspect we might have ended up with just Taylor, which is worrying.

I think it is clear what is happening here, Ashley wants everybody off the books who is a high earner and wants lower paid honest grafter type players in the team (which plays right into Joe Kinnears hands)

My only worry is that he hasn't had the forsight to see that he is going to have to spend a bucket load of cash in the summer once he has done this. What is going to happen in the summer when he gets rid of:

Owen

Viduka

Geremi

Capaca

It will then cost a boat load of cash to bring the squad numbers back to a norm and even then we will be under-strength, dark days ahead I am afraid :(

It won't cost a boat load of cash if Joe brings in more Nolan and Taylor types who will work hard and possibly scrape enough points to keep us up season after season.

Owen

Viduka

Geremi

Capaca

It won't cost a boat load of cash if Joe brings in more Nolan and Taylor types who will work hard and possibly scrape enough points to keep us up season after season.

Well there is a cheery thought, bearing in mind the fact the only one of the above we will get a fee for is Barton is will cost a boat load of cash more than Ashley is willing to spend. So far he has made 20 million selling off players in the last 2 windows, is he actually ever going to invest?

In terms of attitude(Nolan & hopefully, Taylor), we have strengthened - in terms of skill & talent, probably weakened....Zog had a stinking attitude but was more talented than BOTH Nolan & Taylor - Given a good keeper, but I rate Harper higher in some respects, so not too bad a deal apart from the ridiculous price.

In the club's position, attitude is important, but talent can win you games....its a hard one, but I still think we'll struggle to stay up, esp if we lose to WBA.

Mike Ashley is ready to defend his regime after relegation-threatened Newcastle banked an £8million transfer window profit.

Football director Dennis Wise, recruited as Ashley's deal-maker, is under fire from fans - but a senior figure at the club insists the little Londoner will remain in his position, despite persistent rumours he could be on his way.

United owner Ashley will send out managing director Derek Llambias this week to explain the club's January deals. Kevin Nolan and Wigan's Ryan Taylor have joined for around £5million, with Peter Lovenkrands in on a free.

Charles N'Zogbia completed his switch to Wigan, for what boss Joe Kinnear claimed was around £7m, while Shay Given was sold to Manchester City for £6.5m.

The fees will be paid by instalments over the next four years. Newcastle saw a last-ditch bid to land City's young midfielder Michael Johnson rejected yesterday, and were also knocked back in efforts to land Darren Bent from Spurs, with the club denying they tried to throw Oba Martins into the mix.

A United delegation, led by Wise, failed to sign Albin Ebondo from Toulouse after a new FIFA registered agent cropped up, claiming to represent the player, and the French club hiked the price to £10m.

Kinnear was happy with his signings, but ideally wanted a couple more in. He said: "I'm over the moon to get Ryan Taylor because he is still a young player but one with a lot of experience.

"He's played nearly 200 career games and is still only 24.

His versatility is tremendous, he can play on the left or the right, in defence or midfield.

"He's a total footballer with two good feet and very good on the ball, which I like very much.

Mike Ashley is ready to defend his regime after relegation-threatened Newcastle banked an £8million transfer window profit.

Football director Dennis Wise, recruited as Ashley's deal-maker, is under fire from fans - but a senior figure at the club insists the little Londoner will remain in his position, despite persistent rumours he could be on his way.

United owner Ashley will send out managing director Derek Llambias this week to explain the club's January deals. Kevin Nolan and Wigan's Ryan Taylor have joined for around £5million, with Peter Lovenkrands in on a free.

Charles N'Zogbia completed his switch to Wigan, for what boss Joe Kinnear claimed was around £7m, while Shay Given was sold to Manchester City for £6.5m.

The fees will be paid by instalments over the next four years. Newcastle saw a last-ditch bid to land City's young midfielder Michael Johnson rejected yesterday, and were also knocked back in efforts to land Darren Bent from Spurs, with the club denying they tried to throw Oba Martins into the mix.

A United delegation, led by Wise, failed to sign Albin Ebondo from Toulouse after a new FIFA registered agent cropped up, claiming to represent the player, and the French club hiked the price to £10m.

Kinnear was happy with his signings, but ideally wanted a couple more in. He said: "I'm over the moon to get Ryan Taylor because he is still a young player but one with a lot of experience.

"He's played nearly 200 career games and is still only 24.

His versatility is tremendous, he can play on the left or the right, in defence or midfield.

"He's a total footballer with two good feet and very good on the ball, which I like very much.

No offence to Ryan Taylor as I am glad to have him but the above is just b****x, every other team in the league can manage to sign players when they want, only we get f***ed over.  Why where they waiting to do last minute deals again, it just stinks of the fact that we never intended to buy anyone, and then they all look busy and throw in a load of crap on the final day :(

1010: Sky Sports News reporter Brian Swanson, looking cold outside the Emirates Stadium, says that there are a number of Premier League deals that could go through today.

Hope, surely not?

Hmmm i think not.