Transfer window: Have we weakened or strengthened our fight against relegation?

Guest Howaythetoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest johnson293

Mike Ashley is ready to defend his regime after relegation-threatened Newcastle banked an £8million transfer window profit.

Football director Dennis Wise, recruited as Ashley's deal-maker, is under fire from fans - but a senior figure at the club insists the little Londoner will remain in his position, despite persistent rumours he could be on his way.

United owner Ashley will send out managing director Derek Llambias this week to explain the club's January deals. Kevin Nolan and Wigan's Ryan Taylor have joined for around £5million, with Peter Lovenkrands in on a free.

Charles N'Zogbia completed his switch to Wigan, for what boss Joe Kinnear claimed was around £7m, while Shay Given was sold to Manchester City for £6.5m.

The fees will be paid by instalments over the next four years. Newcastle saw a last-ditch bid to land City's young midfielder Michael Johnson rejected yesterday, and were also knocked back in efforts to land Darren Bent from Spurs, with the club denying they tried to throw Oba Martins into the mix.

A United delegation, led by Wise, failed to sign Albin Ebondo from Toulouse after a new FIFA registered agent cropped up, claiming to represent the player, and the French club hiked the price to £10m.

Kinnear was happy with his signings, but ideally wanted a couple more in. He said: "I'm over the moon to get Ryan Taylor because he is still a young player but one with a lot of experience.

"He's played nearly 200 career games and is still only 24.

His versatility is tremendous, he can play on the left or the right, in defence or midfield.

"He's a total footballer with two good feet and very good on the ball, which I like very much.

So the Given and N'Zogbia money is to be paid in installments??  :idiot2:

Great, so we let city have Given while they **** us over on one of their players, and we arent even getting the full wedge yet??  :undecided:

Marginal improvement, depending on the form of Lovenkrands, could be a bit more. If he produces some form, then i think adding Nolan and Taylor has strengthened the outfield team quite well. Obviously Shay will be missed but we have a decent back-up. In my view we've got rid of a little disruptive shit head and brought in 3 versatile outfield players. Lovenkrands can play up front or in midfield, Taylor can play at the back or in midfield. We have new options, time will tell if they are of the quality we need.

Well Nicky Butt has just signed an extension so it can't be all bad, lol. Desperation from the club if you ask me and a clear sign we won't be doing nowt in the summer :(

How can people say we've strengthened? honestly

i think we have improved, but only a little, maybe not enough to keep us in the prem.

:kinnear:

we may have strengthened the squad (very slightly) but we haven't strengthened the fight against relegation because our rivals have strenghtened considerably more than we have

highly impressive contradicting yourself dude!!  :lol:  :kinnear:  -esque!!

but i take your point, we've strengthened the least and perhaps needed it the most, so net strengthening is in the minus figures or summik!!

what i meant was, we haven't strengthened the fight against relegation, despite the squad perhaps being slightly better off. Teams like Brom, Stoke and Spurs are better than they were 4 weeks ago.