The biggest danger facing Newcastle is Apathy

Guest Sheriff John Bunnell (Ret

Guest Sheriff John Bunnell (Ret

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/02/the-biggest-dan.html

For once a decent article which isnt the usual lazy Anti-Newcastle media bullsh*t...

George Caulkin

This has been a bleak season for Newcastle United and it could still become bleaker, yet amid the turmoil and the departures, the controversy, the numbing performances, the concern, the mess and the self-inflicted mishaps, hope is shimmering. It is a delicate, fragile sort of hope, encircled by thorns, but it is there, nonetheless. It requires assiduous nurturing.

It will come as little surprise that events on the pitch, which have been largely miserable, have not prompted this spark of optimism. It will come as absolutely no surprise that nothing which has taken place in the manager’s office or the boardroom, where mixed messages continue to thrive, has contributed to it. As usual, it has emanated from the stands.   

The media perpetuate two myths about Newcastle supporters; that they are impatient and that they are perennially militant. Both are wrong. Quite how fans who have had no domestic trophy to cheer since 1955 and none at all since 1969 can be accused of impatience has never been clear – decent football and a committed team are hardly outrageous demands - and the militancy thing is simply nonsense.

During the less inspiring moments of Freddy Shepherd’s tenure as chairman – and there were plenty to choose from – episodes of outright dissent were rare. Perhaps that was because there were other divisive figures to rival directors, whether unpopular managers (appointed by Shepherd) or fractious players (bought by him), but mainly because of loyalty. Loyalty almost to a fault.

People may have a mental image of teenage Geordies bouncing outside St James’ Park in front of the television cameras waving their shoes in the air, but that is not representative. The protests which accompanied the 2-1 home defeat to Hull City in September, shortly after the exit of Kevin Keegan and which precipitated Mike Ashley’s decision to sell the club were vibrant and raw, but also untypical.

But Ashley, of course, is staying (at least until a buyer emerges) and things have not got any better on Tyneside. A relegation battle is being fought by a small squad and the transfer window saw two senior players leave including, in Shay Given, a world-class goalkeeper with a passion for the club, but a loathing for all the chaos. Only three signings arrived; Newcastle, shamefully, made an £8m profit on their dealings.

Derek Llambias, the perma-smirking managing director, from whom nothing has been heard, will finally break his silence late this week, answering questions, sent in by readers, to two local newspapers, but a far more significant exchange of views will take place elsewhere. On Wednesday at 7pm, in the Tyneside Irish Centre, Newcastle’s soul will be wrestled over.

The Newcastle United Supporters Club (NUSC), an independent body designed to represent fans and challenge the club (and in spite of quotes attributed elsewhere, it is the only organisation of its type), was established in the aftermath of Keegan’s departure. Still in its infancy, it needs legitimacy, backing and members. It has spokesmen and issues press releases, but it is not staffed by people who crave attention for the sake of it.

Influential fanzines and websites like The Mag, nufc.com and true faith have offered guidance, financial and philosophical, to the NUSC, but none have a wish to set or control the agenda. What it will ultimately be and could become is still up for debate; yes, there should be principled and serious opposition to Ashley, but what are the wider issues? Where would it go post Ashley?

The biggest danger facing Newcastle at present is not relegation. It is not their billionaire owner. It is not Dennis Wise. And it is not anger, impatience or militancy. It is apathy. For home matches, attendances have often been 5,000 below capacity and after years of heartache and underachievement, there is widespread muttering about season tickets not being renewed, of hope finally being extinguished.

But it is there. If supporters have less power than they used to, they still have some and those who step out into the freezing weather and head for the Irish Centre will be reclaiming their club. Membership of the NUSC is not required. As they put it themselves, they wish to “establish some common ground. Bring with you your thoughts, your anger, your hope, your ideas, your wants, your needs.”

The NUSC has already promoted a boycott of official club merchandise and has written to Ashley to request a meeting, anywhere in the country, on his terms, simply to discern his plans for Newcastle. As they anticipated, their letter was ignored. But the greater the numbers, the louder the voices, the more difficult it will be for ears to be blocked. There is hope for Newcastle; it just needs seeking out.

I think this is what we are seeing with some people actually wanting to get relegated.

People think they can care more about a younger, more enthusiastic team. Without Kinnear and Ashley.

Too big a risk, even though I reckon this route could be profitable. Like backing No. 7 on the roulette.

Guest neesy111

I like many other fan's have been giving the club last chance's to sort themselves out by renewing for the last 2-3 seasons, i feel many will not go back after this season including myself, my dad had enough after 20 year's of being season ticket holder last season

Apathy has already set in, and I fear it's here to stay for a long time now

Guest Darth Toon

I think the biggest danger is exaggerated negativity TBH.

We're 2 points off the bottom, haven't won in 8, have an injury list double the size of any other Prem team and just made a big fat profit in a transfer window when we desperately needed strengthening - doesn't require much exaggerating if you ask me!

Great article. Can I just remind everyone that the meeting he mentions is at the Irish Club tomorrow night. 7 for 7.30, everyone welcome. I think its very important that we get some sort of action going and tomorrow gives us the opportunity to do that. Even if you're critical of NUSC, please come along and voice your opinions. It's not the time for us as Newcastle fans to be divided. It's time to stand together and make ourselves heard.

We're 2 points off the bottom, haven't won in 8, have an injury list double the size of any other Prem team and just made a big fat profit in a transfer window when we desperately needed strengthening - doesn't require much exaggerating if you ask me!

Fuck it, I can't be bothered any more.

Good article, represents us fairly but it's relegation isn't it? Many PL clubs exist on lower crowds and revenues but do better.

Guest Darth Toon

Fuck it, I can't be bothered any more.

See, it's contagious this apathy thing!  :razz:

It's a well written article and George Caulkin has to be the best broadsheet journalist covering Newcastle, but there's really not a lot the NUSC can offer which is going to put things right. The only way out of this is for the club to be bought out and someone to sink a boatload of money into the squad. Boycotts and protests won't achieve anything constructive.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/02/the-biggest-dan.html

For once a decent article which isnt the usual lazy Anti-Newcastle media bullsh*t...

George Caulkin

This has been a bleak season for Newcastle United and it could still become bleaker, yet amid the turmoil and the departures, the controversy, the numbing performances, the concern, the mess and the self-inflicted mishaps, hope is shimmering. It is a delicate, fragile sort of hope, encircled by thorns, but it is there, nonetheless. It requires assiduous nurturing.

It will come as little surprise that events on the pitch, which have been largely miserable, have not prompted this spark of optimism. It will come as absolutely no surprise that nothing which has taken place in the managers office or the boardroom, where mixed messages continue to thrive, has contributed to it. As usual, it has emanated from the stands.    

The media perpetuate two myths about Newcastle supporters; that they are impatient and that they are perennially militant. Both are wrong. Quite how fans who have had no domestic trophy to cheer since 1955 and none at all since 1969 can be accused of impatience has never been clear decent football and a committed team are hardly outrageous demands - and the militancy thing is simply nonsense.

During the less inspiring moments of Freddy Shepherds tenure as chairman and there were plenty to choose from episodes of outright dissent were rare. Perhaps that was because there were other divisive figures to rival directors, whether unpopular managers (appointed by Shepherd) or fractious players (bought by him), but mainly because of loyalty. Loyalty almost to a fault.

People may have a mental image of teenage Geordies bouncing outside St James Park in front of the television cameras waving their shoes in the air, but that is not representative. The protests which accompanied the 2-1 home defeat to Hull City in September, shortly after the exit of Kevin Keegan and which precipitated Mike Ashleys decision to sell the club were vibrant and raw, but also untypical.

But Ashley, of course, is staying (at least until a buyer emerges) and things have not got any better on Tyneside. A relegation battle is being fought by a small squad and the transfer window saw two senior players leave including, in Shay Given, a world-class goalkeeper with a passion for the club, but a loathing for all the chaos. Only three signings arrived; Newcastle, shamefully, made an £8m profit on their dealings.

Derek Llambias, the perma-smirking managing director, from whom nothing has been heard, will finally break his silence late this week, answering questions, sent in by readers, to two local newspapers, but a far more significant exchange of views will take place elsewhere. On Wednesday at 7pm, in the Tyneside Irish Centre, Newcastles soul will be wrestled over.

The Newcastle United Supporters Club (NUSC), an independent body designed to represent fans and challenge the club (and in spite of quotes attributed elsewhere, it is the only organisation of its type), was established in the aftermath of Keegans departure. Still in its infancy, it needs legitimacy, backing and members. It has spokesmen and issues press releases, but it is not staffed by people who crave attention for the sake of it.

Influential fanzines and websites like The Mag, nufc.com and true faith have offered guidance, financial and philosophical, to the NUSC, but none have a wish to set or control the agenda. What it will ultimately be and could become is still up for debate; yes, there should be principled and serious opposition to Ashley, but what are the wider issues? Where would it go post Ashley?

The biggest danger facing Newcastle at present is not relegation. It is not their billionaire owner. It is not Dennis Wise. And it is not anger, impatience or militancy. It is apathy. For home matches, attendances have often been 5,000 below capacity and after years of heartache and underachievement, there is widespread muttering about season tickets not being renewed, of hope finally being extinguished.

But it is there. If supporters have less power than they used to, they still have some and those who step out into the freezing weather and head for the Irish Centre will be reclaiming their club. Membership of the NUSC is not required. As they put it themselves, they wish to establish some common ground. Bring with you your thoughts, your anger, your hope, your ideas, your wants, your needs.

The NUSC has already promoted a boycott of official club merchandise and has written to Ashley to request a meeting, anywhere in the country, on his terms, simply to discern his plans for Newcastle. As they anticipated, their letter was ignored. But the greater the numbers, the louder the voices, the more difficult it will be for ears to be blocked. There is hope for Newcastle; it just needs seeking out.

I enjoyed the article and as others have said, he appears to be one of the very few in the media who have their head screwed on when it comes to our club (probably cos he's a fan a like...). However, the apathy is born out of the things he listed prior to saying so. I feel very apathetic and i'm begging for something to make me fall in love with the club again, but we wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for the pitiful management - both at boardroom level and pitch level.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Great article

I feel very apathetic.

I am 10% lets get relegated, overhaul the squad and start from scratch

I am 40% i'm not really that bothered if we stay up great if we don't meh

I am 50% want us to stay up but know it will be the same again next year with Ashley at the helm

Guest sittingontheball

Haven't .com been saying the same thing about apathy for a while now?

I kind of suspect that many fans are becoming less bothered about football in general, not just NUFC. There are plenty of possible reasons, overpaid players, pisspoor refereeing, stupid match times, oversaturated tv and newspaper coverage, boring chess matches between the hyped teams, etc.  That its affecting older fans too suggests there is more to it than simply just an end to the post-Gazza 1990WC/Premier League football boom people talk of.

Great article. Can I just remind everyone that the meeting he mentions is at the Irish Club tomorrow night. 7 for 7.30, everyone welcome. I think its very important that we get some sort of action going and tomorrow gives us the opportunity to do that. Even if you're critical of NUSC, please come along and voice your opinions. It's not the time for us as Newcastle fans to be divided. It's time to stand together and make ourselves heard.

Yes, a great article by Caulkin, and he rightly puts the rest of the lousy UK media in their places.

Everything he says is correct and, as one who was part of the last big challenge to change the club, I wish NUSC all the very best in their task.

Unfortunately, times have changed now, and whereas we thought it was taking big money to shift McKeag & Co, it was washers compared to what is now required both to oust Ashley & Co and to rebuild the club to where it managed to get to in the mid-90s.

The world is in slump so it will not be easy to persuade someone to come up with the millions required, maybe for a few years...

If I still lived in the UK and was 10 years younger, I would be part of any sensible movement for change but you have to be sure it would be for the best - look what happened when SJH stepped down from day to day involvement....there is a saying 'be careful what you wish for - you may end up getting it'(I wonder if Paul McCartney ever reflects on this about his ex-wife....!), but the club couldn't be run in a much worse way than it is being now.

good article, at least this was noticed by someone else:

"People may have a mental image of teenage Geordies bouncing outside St James’ Park in front of the television cameras waving their shoes in the air, but that is not representative."  :lol:

anyhow as for the 'wanting relegation' thing mentioned above, who the fuck has said that James?  personally i just think it's coming either this season, or if not then certainly next season when half our squad leaves and we don't have the money to replace them

think on what an absolute travesty next season is going to be like in the highly unlikely event we stay up...not sure a season in the championshit would be that much worse myself, doesn't mean i want it...what i want is for ashley to find some money behind the sofa and spend it so we can move forward but it ain't gonna happen is it?