How can we protest and yet still support the team?

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

That was a question a fan asked on the NUSC stream, a very good question I thought.

My own personal protest has seen me not purchase anything from Sports Direct, any food or drink from SJP, match programmes and other publications or anything else NUFC related like shirts and such.

I'd be up for other forms of protest as long as it stayed away from the 90 minutes of football.

Ideas? Thoughts?

PS this is a thread for those up for such a thing, if its not your tea-bag, stay the fuck out of it please. Thanks  :thup:

Guest neesy111

i'm not renewing but it isn't against ashley it's the cost and don't know where i'll be as i would have graduated, although the football isn't great to watch

Guest Howaythetoon

Please tell me you are not real? What are you trying to achieve exactly?

Answers on a postcard.

To reinforce a message that their management of the club is not acceptable, that they have to all up their games or to sling their hook, and in a selfish manner to feel fucking good for doing something, anything as I can't abide just accepting this shit or standing by and watching these cunts take us all for mugs and fuck our club up.

i'm not renewing but it isn't against ashley it's the cost and don't know where i'll be as i would have graduated, although the football isn't great to watch

Good point. The ticket prices our just ridiculously high and considering the current state the country is in, its even more scandalous.

If people really don't like Ashely, why not attack Ashley's pocket and not the club? Newcastle United is a hole in his pocket as much as he is concerned and mild protests will only see a further few quid fall from his pockets. Ashley's main business assests and therefore areas of income are away from NUFC.

Protests will only damage our club, not Ashley. The guy has lost more in the last few months than the club will lose him in years so whats the point of not buying stuff, refusing to buy tickets etc? The team and the fans make the club and right now we need to pull together to make a unit. This unit is far too good to be fighting relegation.

So summing up, yes people can protest but damage will only be done to the club and not Ashley!

You have to remember that unit profit from things such as shirt sales will be minimal as most of the revenue is set in stone at the signing of the contract. The catering at SJP was (and I assume still is) largely outsourced so again boycotting this will have little impact.

I'm dead against match time protesting, but could see the potential impact a vocal protest would have if it started 30 mins before kick off, stopped for 45 minutes, restarted for all of half time, stopped for 45 minutes then continued after the game.

I'd also stay well clear of personal insults against Ashleys girth or place of birth, it makes us look stupid, if people are going to protest, then make it damn clear what the protest is about, and its not about the fact that Ashley was born a few miles south of the Tyne is it?

Honestly don't think stopping to buy stuff at Sports Direct would have any impact, it's a nationwide store. If matchday (non-ticket) revenues dropped by 75% or something it would be seen as a targetted protest, and might be picked up on.

Very tricky to say about protesting whilst supporting the team. I honestly don't think you can do both properly, I find it very hard to see any sort of protest that might have the desired effect not compromising the support of the team to some extent. If you want to be noticed you have to be prepared to do that, and become / make the fans a bit of a laughing stock (on SSN and the like) imo.

That was a question a fan asked on the NUSC stream, a very good question I thought.

My own personal protest has seen me not purchase anything from Sports Direct, any food or drink from SJP, match programmes and other publications or anything else NUFC related like shirts and such.

I'd be up for other forms of protest as long as it stayed away from the 90 minutes of football.

Ideas? Thoughts?

PS this is a thread for those up for such a thing, if its not your tea-bag, stay the f*** out of it please. Thanks  :thup:

Serious question.

Can't it be argued that if Ashley feels that not as much money is coming into Sports Direct etc then he will be less inclined to release funds for the benefit of the squad?

:undecided:

Ideas? Thoughts?

PS this is a thread for those up for such a thing, if its not your tea-bag, stay the f*** out of it please. Thanks  :thup:

Serious question.

Can't it be argued that if Ashley feels that not as much money is coming into Sports Direct etc then he will be less inclined to release funds for the benefit of the squad?

Not a chance.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Serious question.

Are you insinuating that a few Newcastle fans not buying stuff from Sports Direct would seriously hit him/the company financially? No chance. He might see a tiny bit of a drop in sales in the Newcastle stores.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Serious question.

Are you insinuating that a few Newcastle fans not buying stuff from Sports Direct would seriously hit him/the company financially? No chance. He might see a tiny bit of a drop in sales in the Newcastle stores.

It wouldn't affect him significantly financially, but for someone so "prudent" it's just another excuse not to spend money I would imagine.

It's just such a frustrating situation.  :(

Also, if it doesn't have a significant effect financially then what is the point?  :dontknow:

Guest Howaythetoon

He might see a tiny bit of a drop in sales in the Newcastle stores.

I know someone who works in his shop in Toon and he said since KK left its been less busy, but I think the recession has had more to do with that, although I'm in no doubt that fans have stopped buying from his shop.

Guest mackas86

listening to the nusc meeting online, their suggesting everyone wearing t-shirts with a slogan on, along the lines of talk to us etc, very good idea imo, we support the team but protest at the same time :pow:

He might see a tiny bit of a drop in sales in the Newcastle stores.

I know someone who works in his shop in Toon and he said since KK left its been less busy, but I think the recession has had more to do with that, although I'm in no doubt that fans have stopped buying from his shop.

He might notice a slight drop but I can't see most fans boycotting it. It's not really the sort of shop that you regularly shop in anyway.

listening to the nusc meeting online, their suggesting everyone wearing t-shirts with a slogan on, along the lines of talk to us etc, very good idea imo, we support the team but protest at the same time :pow:

Now that is a nice little idea.

If everyone wears somethign like that the media would run with it.  However, it isn't confrontational or overly negative either.

A few chants along the lines of facilitating communication would be good too.

Guest mackas86

exactly, nothing that will give the press fuel to slate us, but a message with genuine reasoning behind it, all we want is to be talked to, to know whats happening with our club, if we can get a slogan to show this then maybe we'll get the response we want