Harper for England? ... in the future maybe

nobby_solano

harps finally gets his chance to be our #1 and providing we stay up and if he plays well, do you think fabio capello might consider him for the world cup qualifiers for 2010? aside from david james / robert green we're really thin on the ground for decent keepers at international level.

just thought i'd try to start a positive thread :)

Ages before he's even considered.

Yep.

Harper had a long spell in nets when Given was injured for ages, he was average to good, and in a better side than now, he wasn't considered then.

Though i think at the time James was solid, gone to shit a bit again ATM.

Carson is total turd, I mean I can understand why he was given a chance when he was in form but since then he's been shocking for club and country and yet he still gets a place in the squad. James is the same as he always has been but the cycle is moving quicker now that the team in front of him is going downhill, the "3 saves then a UH OH" rule is cycling a lot quicker. Robinson is a fat mess, Foster has barely played and that just leaves Rob Green, who I rate very highly but he seems a bit marmite to a lot of fans.

I really rate Harper.  When Given was out long term with the stomach injury, I was impressed by some of the great saves Harper made during his stint.  It's really made things easier to deal with now Given has gone knowing Harper will do a good job for us.

As for England? well, he has a chance if he plays well.

I really rate Harper.  When Given was out long term with the stomach injury, I was impressed by some of the great saves Harper made during his stint.  It's really made things easier to deal with now Given has gone knowing Harper will do a good job for us.

As for England? well, he has a chance if he plays well.

Yep - agree with this.

The only critisism I ever had on Harper was that he often took ages to release the ball, especially when their was a chance of a break on but, he seems to have sorted that, at least he was very sharp against the mackems on Sunday.

I think he'd have made the squad several times over the years without a problem, if he'd had the number 1 spot somewhere. As Dave says, he'll probably get too old before he's even considered for the squad - even though he probably has the ability for it considering the other candidates.

come on - we dont even know if he is nearly good enough. he's just been sitting on the bench being a model pro for ages, thats all....

Guest firetotheworks

I can see him getting a cap. He certainly has the ability. But he's too old to be considered a regular starter unless he gets snapped up by Capello pretty sharpish.

He's 34 next month, how many players make international debuts after that time?

He could have been England's no.1 by now if Robson had stuck with him in 2000-01

Or if he decided to move on.

He's 34 next month, how many players make international debuts after that time?

He could have been England's no.1 by now if Robson had stuck with him in 2000-01

Or if he decided to move on.

Or if Given decided to move on.

You can get odds of 14/1 for Harper to get capped before the end of the year 2010, for me, that's worth three or four quid.

harps finally gets his chance to be our #1 and providing we stay up and if he plays well, do you think fabio capello might consider him for the world cup qualifiers for 2010? aside from david james / robert green we're really thin on the ground for decent keepers at international level.

just thought i'd try to start a positive thread :)

he's a good keeper. Nowt wrong with positive threads, but it shouldn't gloss over and find an excuse for Shay Given leaving, and I don't mean to be negative.