Pre Match: Newcastle United vs Everton - see OP for N-O podcast!

joeyt

Got this down as a win.

Feeling it.

When did Habib tell you he was back again mate?

The squad is coming together nicely again at a similar time to what it did last season, although our run-in appears a fair bit trickier on paper!

I'd be satisfied enough with a draw the way Everton are playing at the minute, but a win would obviously be huge.

He said he would be out for about 2 months, which i presume meant a return to full training. That was on Jan 4th, the injury was on 26th, so he had plenty of time to have it looked at, although he gave the impression he was seeing someone in Marseille about it too.

Guest Howaythetoon

Another must win game given our up coming fixtures. Everton will be as tough as any we've faced this season but they are beatable. We'll require a good day from wor lot and a bad or off day from them however.

what is our record like against Everton? I think it`s not too bad iirc

We haven't lost to Everton at home for over 7 years.  Five wins and two draws for us in the last seven meetings.  Lets hope that record stands up on the 22nd.

I remember not so long ago we were beating the likes of Everton 6-2.  :no:

Remember us scoring a brilliant goal from a quick throw in that one & I was in the Express day after that (i am not Diana)

I see this game as very similar to the Villa, City and Spurs games which we picked up points from. You could argue that Everton have a worse attack than those three.

I noticed that there are only something like 6 teams who have lost fewer games at home than us this season.

I think we'll get a draw at least and hopefully a win.  I think everyone is being a little too pessimistic, after all we've still only lost 3 home games this season (Liverpool, Hull and Blackburn) one against one of the top four and the other two came straight after the Keegan furore.

Kinnear's home record isn't spectacular, but its alright.

D, W, W, D, D, W, L, D, D

I think we'll get a draw at least and hopefully a win.  I think everyone is being a little too pessimistic, after all we've still only lost 3 home games this season (Liverpool, Hull and Blackburn) one against one of the top four and the other two came straight after the Keegan furore.

Kinnear's home record isn't spectacular, but its alright.

D, W, W, D, D, W, L, D, D

It's turd considering the teams we've played and the players he's had at his disposal. Our away form is ridiculously poor, but at the end of the day; win your home games and you stay up. If we end up relegated it'll be because we couldn't hang onto some home games which should have been absolute bankers. We finished fifth one season under Bobby, winning only two games away from home.

It'll be very interesting to see who will have to give way for Martins and Jonas, who surely has to be definite starters when fit.

The nominees are:

Shola Ameobi - Obvious choice for most of us, he's been pretty much terrible in our last two games, and tbf, most other games he's ever played for us. Scored against the mackems though, and most of thinks JFK likes a target man.

Peter Lövenkrands - Man of the Match and scored against WBA for me, but probably wouldn't have started had Carroll not been injured. Deserves to keep his place, and we should remember that Kinnear played Owen and Martins earlier in the season when we were on a good run of games, which proves he doesn't always need a target man.

Damien Duff - Scored against WBA and looked lively and confident. Took people on, and got into some good positions. Shouldn't be fooled by this though, he often plays shite after he's had a decent game. A Kinnear bum boy.

Ryan Taylor - Assist against WBA, but otherwise had a fairly quiet debut. Does not deserve to be dropped though, could be moved to either left or right full back.

Steven Taylor Scored against WBA and won a penalty against the mackems. Has looked much better at full back than centre back. One of the players you might think Kinnear wouldn't drop, but he's done it earlier in the season.

José Enrique - Solid defensively against WBA, and not too bad going forward. Had one of his best games for us against the mackems, and will probably benefits from having Jonas in front of him. Does not deserve to be dropped, but is not one of Kinnears favourites.

For me, it's Ameobi and Duff that goes, even though it's a bit harsh on Duff as I reckon he had a good game against West Brom.

Harper

S Taylor  Colo  Bassong  Enrique

Duff  Nolan Butt (Guthrie?) Jonas

Lovenbeast  Oba

I don't think Oba and Lovenkands will work particularly well as a partnership but against Jagielka and Lescott I think pace is the best way to frighten them, think they'd handle Carroll or Shola no bother. Central midfield is where we'll lose this game, we're just not good enough to match them.

1-2.

Guest ExiledGeordie

I'd prefer to see any strikers in ahead of Ameobi. Lovenkrands has a point to prove and having scored against West Brom will have some confidence. He's quick as too. Martins gives our team a completely different look though. You know Everton defenders won't look forward to playing against his pace, he's our match winner. Hopefully this two week break will give him time to get fit.

Pacey players in Løvenkrands,Gutierrez,Martins will bring a handfull to most defences in the league, with some hard fighting in the midfield i with Nolan and probably Butt, and Set pieces from R.Taylor im quite optimistic. Løvenkrands on the right because Enrique looks miles better with Jonas helping him out.  R.Taylor ahead of S.Taylor because of his quality delivering. Viduka in the box is always dangerous, and his linkup is quite good. Martins dangerous no matter what, and with jonas and løvenkrands helping out with runs it could be an enjoyful evening for us. Optimistic atleast.

Harper

R.Taylor - Colo - Bassong - Enrique

Løvenkrands - Nolan - Butt - Jonas

Viduka - Martins.

It'll be very interesting to see who will have to give way for Martins and Jonas, who surely has to be definite starters when fit.

The nominees are:

Shola Ameobi - Obvious choice for most of us, he's been pretty much terrible in our last two games, and tbf, most other games he's ever played for us. Scored against the mackems though, and most of thinks JFK likes a target man.

Peter Lövenkrands - Man of the Match and scored against WBA for me, but probably wouldn't have started had Carroll not been injured. Deserves to keep his place, and we should remember that Kinnear played Owen and Martins earlier in the season when we were on a good run of games, which proves he doesn't always need a target man.

Damien Duff - Scored against WBA and looked lively and confident. Took people on, and got into some good positions. Shouldn't be fooled by this though, he often plays s**** after he's had a decent game. A Kinnear bum boy.

Ryan Taylor - Assist against WBA, but otherwise had a fairly quiet debut. Does not deserve to be dropped though, could be moved to either left or right full back.

Steven Taylor Scored against WBA and won a penalty against the mackems. Has looked much better at full back than centre back. One of the players you might think Kinnear wouldn't drop, but he's done it earlier in the season.

José Enrique - Solid defensively against WBA, and not too bad going forward. Had one of his best games for us against the mackems, and will probably benefits from having Jonas in front of him. Does not deserve to be dropped, but is not one of Kinnears favourites.

For me, it's Ameobi and Duff that goes, even though it's a bit harsh on Duff as I reckon he had a good game against West Brom.

BUTT was shocking (poor) agaisnt West Brom and should def. be dropped. Kinnear is "out" so maybe there is a chance Butt is dropped :)

This is what I would like to see:

--------------Harps--------------

RTaylor--Colo---Bassong--Enrique

Duff--Nolan--Butt---Jonas

-------Oba----Lovenkrands

Duff works his arse off and Rtaylor is needed for set pieces and is probably a better defender than Staylor. I would even think about replacing Colo with STaylor to give him a kick up the rear!

Whoever mentioned that ameobi/carrol would be outfought by Lescott & jagielka are totally correct, pace is the one thing they will worry about...

we seem to have choices for a change. the biggest concerning the right. i'd be tempted to keep taylor at right back as imo he played well there against the mackems and does actually look to get forward and attack from there,his height and strength could be needed against an everton side who like to play a bit on dead balls in the absence of yakubu. leaving duff or raylor for wide right. haven't decided yet and will probably even change my mind on staylor before the game itself.

(as in the case of milner who,for all they aren't great i don't think he or taylor are anywhere near as bad as some on here seem to think)

I think we'll get something out of this, if only a point. Ryan should play RB for me, with Duff and Jonas wide. Oba and Lovenkrands will be interesting but I'm not sure it will work. I wouldn't be surprised to see Shola starting tbh.