Javier Aguirre lined up to replace Joe Kinnear Shocker

biggs

Just grabbed this out of the  Sunday Sun ,must admit i know nothing about him or the reliability of the piece.

United line up Aguirre

Feb 8 2009 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE have lined up Mexican coach Javier Aguirre as a successor to Joe Kinnear if the current United manager quits this summer.

Javier Aguirre

The Magpies believe Aguirre, who was controversially sacked by Atletico Madrid last week, could fill the breach should Kinnear decide against accepting the offer of a two-year contract at St James’s Park.

Kinnear has been taking time to weigh up his personal circumstances, and missed yesterday’s win at West Brom due to ill health — although he intends to return to his post in the near future.

But United have drawn up contingency plans which could see Aguirre inherit the hotseat.

The 50-year-old spent two-and-a-half seasons in charge at Atletico, having landed the job by steering modest Osasuna into Europe via a fourth-place finish in La Liga.

Aguirre looked well set for a long stay in Madrid when Atletico finished fourth in Spain last season, qualifying for the Champions League for the first time in 11 years.

But despite an impressive start to the current campaign, and Atletico qualifying for the last 16 of the Champions League, Aguirre was fired after a six-game winless start to 2009.

That sparked anger among some Atletico players, with the likes of striker Diego Forlan reportedly intent on following Aguirre out of the club in the summer.

Newcastle considered the credentials of several Spanish-based coaches before and after appointing Kevin Keegan as manager 13 months ago

Sunday Sun.

We can lock the thread now.

Sunday Sun.

We can lock the thread now.

Will remember your comments for future reference and will quote you both in future because you both know more than a Sunday sun (local rag) reporter . :rolleyes:

If there is any truth in our interest in Aguirre and Kinnear is walking a tight health line it would be good to bring him in as a coach anyway.

That way he can settle into life here and get a less pressurised start. If the invevitable happens and Kinnear somehow gets appointed full time he can move on to another club or stay on the staff. If not maybe Kinnear can stay on to assist in a less pressurised role and Aguirre can step up.

Wishfull thinking really, not likely Aguirre would be interest as acting as a interim coach, but would be a good move for him if he is serious about Managing over here if only for experience.

Would certainly have me a little bit more confident having an experienced coach and manager there if kinnear gets hospitalised again.

If there is any truth in our interest in Aguirre and Kinnear is walking a tight health line it would be good to bring him in as a coach anyway.

That way he can settle into life here and get a less pressurised start. If the invevitable happens and Kinnear somehow gets appointed full time he can move on to another club or stay on the staff. If not maybe Kinnear can stay on to assist in a less pressurised role and Aguirre can step up.

Wishfull thinking really, not likely Aguirre would be interest as acting as a interim coach, but would be a good move for him if he is serious about Managing over here if only for experience.

Would certainly have me a little bit more confident having an experienced coach and manager there if kinnear gets hospitalised again.

FYP

I'm not so sure about Aguirre. I think he's underachieved with the vast amount of talent at Atletico and he was recently sacked for poor performance. Obvious improvement over Kinnear though. He also got banned by UEFA recently for calling Mathieu Valbeuna a "son of a whore", so I guess there would be continuity in the communication department.

The funny thing is that it makes it sound like Aguirre would be our second choice if Kinnear didn't sign his contract.

that's if he really had that deal on the table.  I'm sure that was a ploy in order to help convince players to sign for the club in Jan.  Can't see players would want to join a club where the manager that signed them could be gone in a few months.

To be fair, The Sunday Sun have broke a lot of big Newcastle related stories so i wouldnt dismiss this as total bull.

In addition, Farrington is one of the better writers out there.

If he wrote a piece about Martins wanting to leave, we would be seeing posts like 'who believes this tabloid bullshit, especially a Sunday rag'.

To be fair, The Sunday Sun have broke a lot of big Newcastle related stories so i wouldnt dismiss this as total bull.

In addition, Farrington is one of the better writers out there.

If he wrote a piece about Martins wanting to leave, we would be seeing posts like 'who believes this tabloid bullshit, especially a Sunday rag'.

I would take more notice from a local paper than a national though, i would not believe it to be true but he will have more contacts at the toon .