Llambias Q&A with Chronicle: OP updated with Thursday's articles

Guest neesy111

I am very reluctant to talk about the financial side of Newcastle as 1) I don't know a great deal about this side of things and 2) Someone will probably jump right on top of any remotely under qualified comment, but.... I get the impression from that they they are trying to spend enough to get by on whilst they clear, or lower the debt over the next few years, and then go from there. I'm not sure that there's any indication that they'll spend big after that though.

I thought we're already two years into the five year plan? Or are we now starting this five year plan from scratch?

We had to scrap the (not) copy Arsenal plan, we've got to start again with the (not) copy <insert flavour of the month team here> plan.

Guest neesy111

Like it's been said "talk is cheap". We've heard all about the building a team to challenge...blah, blah. But when the transfer window comes we make a couple of last minute bids, knowing fine well that there not going to get accepted, just so they can say "we tried for this player, we tried for that player". When if they really wanted these players they wouldn't have waited until the last couple of hours of the window.

Also.... he says we'll have 8m to spend in the summer. I f***ing hope thats on top of the summer transfer budget. Where does all the Sky money go? If the wage bill is such a problem, why don't they get rid of the big earners who are getting paid for doing f*** all. Okay we'll have to take a loss on most of them but in the long run you replace them with hungrier, younger players on a fraction of what they're earning. We're not stupid if it meant we lost Owen in jan for a nominal fee so we could get in a few players who'll be here for the years to come and help rebuild the team, we would've understood. (Well i would anyway).

on the vastly inflated wages 3/4 our team are on

the club is expected to make a 20 million lost this season despite the sales of players

blame shepherd for 2/3's of the financial mess the club is in

They can't blame anyone.  They didn't do due diligence, their incompetence and sheer unorganized nature of everything that has what got them into sorting that mess.

the fact is if anyone had seen our book's no-one would of bought the club for the price the hall's and shepherd's wanted

also due dilgence would have mean't them buying the club in the middle of a season, something which they didn't want

I am very reluctant to talk about the financial side of Newcastle as 1) I don't know a great deal about this side of things and 2) Someone will probably jump right on top of any remotely under qualified comment, but.... I get the impression from that they they are trying to spend enough to get by on whilst they clear, or lower the debt over the next few years, and then go from there. I'm not sure that there's any indication that they'll spend big after that though.

Well, I'm no accountant either. But as I understand it, it's not debt that they're afraid of. They however see the losses we're making at the moment as bad debt owed on poorly performing players such as Owen, Duff, Smith, Viduka. Players who have not earned their keep since being here. Once they get rid of these, I get the impression that they are not afraid of getting into the good debt by bringing in players that fit their long term plan of buying young and hungry contributors to the cause.

Very interesting stuff regarding still paying for players who had already joined the club before they arrived. Looks like this has clearly affected our spending on new players, as any budget would still be going towards these players we already "own" but don't really.

Let's hope this new commitment will mean the complete demolition of this abomination of a team barring a few good ones obviously. I think we will only really be able to move on as far as recruiting new players, after a good number of the current lot are off the books.

Like it's been said "talk is cheap". We've heard all about the building a team to challenge...blah, blah. But when the transfer window comes we make a couple of last minute bids, knowing fine well that there not going to get accepted, just so they can say "we tried for this player, we tried for that player". When if they really wanted these players they wouldn't have waited until the last couple of hours of the window.

Also.... he says we'll have 8m to spend in the summer. I f***ing hope thats on top of the summer transfer budget. Where does all the Sky money go? If the wage bill is such a problem, why don't they get rid of the big earners who are getting paid for doing f*** all. Okay we'll have to take a loss on most of them but in the long run you replace them with hungrier, younger players on a fraction of what they're earning. We're not stupid if it meant we lost Owen in jan for a nominal fee so we could get in a few players who'll be here for the years to come and help rebuild the team, we would've understood. (Well i would anyway).

on the vastly inflated wages 3/4 our team are on

the club is expected to make a 20 million lost this season despite the sales of players

blame shepherd for 2/3's of the financial mess the club is in

They can't blame anyone.  They didn't do due diligence, their incompetence and sheer unorganized nature of everything that has what got them into sorting that mess.

the fact is if anyone had seen our book's no-one would of bought the club for the price the hall's and shepherd's wanted

also due dilgence would have mean't them buying the club in the middle of a season, something which they didn't want

SJH also imposed a deadline on the purchase at the price he was offering.

I thought we're already two years into the five year plan? Or are we now starting this five year plan from scratch?

Are they allowed to modify the original plan?

Is Kinnear in the new plan?

Wise up mate! He isn't exactly going to come out and say they're ditching JFK in the summer!

Absolutely love this smiley though....so i'm going to use it for the f*** of it  :harry:

They aren't ditching JFK though in plain to see mate.  Everything that has came out of the club in regards to the future has indicated that Joe is going to be there, this offer of a long term contract - that he won't sign yet but it's in his desk - a pretty big clue.  This ain't been rubbished by Newcastle.

He is here to stay, and in my view they have planned for him to be here in the next 5 years and 'challenging' like Villa :lol: ..because he works well with Wisey and himself.

If they want. Although that would be more their aims and goals, not actually changing the timescales.

They probably need to do both tbh.  That nonsense in the lead up to 1st September changed everything.

So we decided to keep as low as possible, get on with our business plan, move forward with what we’re doing with our management team and to assist whatever manager was coming in as best as possible.

Guest neesy111

my thoughts as well, the club could not move forward under the financial state it was in under the previous regime, ashley has said he's prepared to put in 20 million a season, that will most likely be spent on transfer's once the debt is cleared and when the sponsorship deal's come in after next season that will bring in another 10-15 million, it all start's to add up

the fact that we spent our sponsorship money upfront is stupid and untimely would lead to cash flow problems which we have faced now

That article has made me think they are even more clueless than I thought they were in the first place. Not even saying the right things never mind doing them.

And when nearly every transfer in the world is paid instalments we want to pay it straight away, genius. Best of luck getting other clubs to pay us up front.

Can you give some constructive examples?

That article has made me think they are even more clueless than I thought they were in the first place. Not even saying the right things never mind doing them.

And when nearly every transfer in the world is paid instalments we want to pay it straight away, genius. Best of luck getting other clubs to pay us up front.

Would it not be better for the club to pay for players outright? Meaning that we would have a strong barganing chip in the negotiations with the selling club.

Well, I'm no accountant either. But as I understand it, it's not debt that they're afraid of. They however see the losses we're making at the moment as bad debt owed on poorly performing players such as Owen, Duff, Smith, Viduka. Players who have not earned their keep since being here. Once they get rid of these, I get the impression that they are not afraid of getting into the good debt by bringing in players that fit their long term plan of buying young and hungry contributors to the cause.

Very true, makes sense (from one non accountant to another).

Guest neesy111

Would it not be better for the club to pay for players outright? Meaning that we would have a strong barganing chip in the negotiations with the selling club.

ashley said in the summer he would only do deal's like that now as he didn't like the aggregated payment's of players

Btw if we'd spent £8m on Johnson does that mean there would have been nothing to spend in the summer?

I wouldn't think so.

I think in the summer we will make every effort to get rid of a good number of players who just aren't worth what they are costing the club, and this will allow for more money to be invested on top of the £8 million currently sitting there.

If they want. Although that would be more their aims and goals, not actually changing the timescales.

They probably need to do both tbh.  That nonsense in the lead up to 1st September changed everything.

So we decided to keep as low as possible, get on with our business plan, move forward with what we’re doing with our management team and to assist whatever manager was coming in as best as possible.

You don't think Keegan leaving changed anything?  Of course they have to get on with it.  A lot of people could follow that example tbh.

Guest neesy111

remember the club is receiving no money from adidas or northern rock after that fat bastard shepherd wasted it on players and to pay himself a dividend in 2005

that is another 10 million out of pocket the club each season until after next season

Guest neesy111

You don't think Keegan leaving changed anything?  Of course they have to get on with it.  A lot of people could follow that example tnh.

i think they 1/2 expected (with Keegan) it after realising what he's like as a person (very childish and making quit threat's very often if he doesn't get his own way)

Btw if we'd spent £8m on Johnson does that mean there would have been nothing to spend in the summer?

I wouldn't think so.

I think in the summer we will make every effort to get rid of a good number of players who just aren't worth what they are costing the club, and this will allow for more money to be invested on top of the £8 million currently sitting there.

Many thought that would happen last summer. And this January.

We've given two of them new contracts.

Guest neesy111

Won't paying up front for players whilst still getting it in via installments cause us cashflow problems?

yes and no

if ashley is prepared to subsidise the club, then it isn't a problem, if he isn't then yes

You don't think Keegan leaving changed anything?  Of course they have to get on with it.  A lot of people could follow that example tnh.

i think they 1/2 expected (with Keegan) it after realising what he's like as a person (very childish and making quit threat's very often if he doesn't get his own way)

Does anyone know when this arbitration is taking place? 

I wouldn't think so.

Many thought that would happen last summer. And this January.

The problem is, someone else has to want them.  :undecided: